Pedestrian, 16, killed in Pr. George's

A District Heights teen was struck and killed by an SUV as she tried to cross Marlboro Pike on Tuesday night, authorities said Wednesday.

Tia Wright, 16, was hit by a GMC Envoy as she attempted to cross at Tanow Place in District Heights at about 9:44 p.m., Prince George's County Police said.

An investigation continues, but a police report on the accident showed the girl crossed in a dark area of the road and was hit by an oncoming southbound vehicle on Marlboro Pike, said Cpl. Mike Rodriguez, a county police spokesman.

The report does not indicate whether there is a crosswalk in that area, Rodriguez said.

The driver, has not been identified, remained on the scene and does not currently face charges, Rodriguez said. The police report indicated speed and alcohol did not appear to have been factors in the incident.

-- Mary Pat Flaherty

By Mary Pat Flaherty  |  August 11, 2010; 9:27 AM ET
Categories:  Mary Pat Flaherty , Pr. George's , Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: $1M settlement in Va. shooting lawsuit
Next: Possible charges in Md. church crash

Comments

There is a crosswalk at Tanow Place. There are also advance warning signs for drivers indicating the crosswalk.

Posted by: bikes-everywhere | August 11, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Tia will be truly missed. She was a very bright, talented, and beautiful young lady with whom I had the pleasure of working with at her high school.

My condolences go out to her family. Please know that Tia will NEVER be forgotten.

Posted by: eyou915 | August 11, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

There's a crosswalk at to cross at *Tanow Place* where it meets Marlboro Pike, but there is no crosswalk there for crossing Marlboro Pike, which, according to the new account, is what the teenager was attempting to do *at* Tanow Place.

Posted by: anon57 | August 11, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

eyou915 has the proper message in any event. A young life has been lost and it's a tragic accident -- crosswalk or no crosswalk....

Posted by: anon57 | August 11, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

So sad and tragic. Thoughts and prayers to her family.

Posted by: brandip_77 | August 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

It is sad. Even where the crosswalks are the pedestrians don't use them. I live in the area and it is appalling to me that people don't care enough about their own life to safely cross the street! And like it or not, it's the kids that jaywalk the most. And the club in the strip mall has bought on more kids that have no regard that a car can kill you. While this is a sad case, PARENTS TEACH YOUR KIDS TO CROSS AT THE CROSSWALK FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY! I pray for the family's comfort of heart.

Posted by: wisepat | August 11, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

our entire family is just so utterly heartbroken. tia was just so precious. she will be missed.

Posted by: blaclovechild | August 11, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Is Tia the young lady that was being raised by her grandfather... I used to deliver mail at Tanow Place... Loved everyone there... R.I.P. Tia

Posted by: pmodlin5337 | August 12, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

"The driver, has not been identified, remained on the scene does not currently face charges, Rodriguez said."
---------------------------------
That is outstanding grammar. I smell Pulitzer!

Posted by: gth1 | August 12, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

My condolences to the family
Tia was a lovely young lady whom I had the pleasure of knowing for over a year. She attended Woodson Senior High School with my son and visited my home many times, and just two weeks ago, who would have thought that day would have been the last time we would see her Tia will me greatly missed We are truely sadden she will never be forgotten.

Posted by: BrnMrt2 | August 14, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Well I had the pleasure of working with her this summer at parkview rec. and the last day of work [b/c of mayor fenty ending the program earlier than attended].. all of us walked together laughing and having a good time joking around.. and just when we came to the train station to depart and go home we said our goodbyes and gave hugs.. and I remember the last thing I said to her was " Ima miss you grandma [what we called her an they called me 'granny'] bye!" she said " aight bye granny" didnt know that was going to be the last goodbye... Im still saddend and still in a shock of disbelief that its her.. Im having a very very hard time processing this into my head.. for some reason I just cant seem to get it through my head.. YOU WILL BE MISS DEARLY TIA! MAY HER SOUL REST IN PEACE YOUR IN A BETTER PLACE NOW.. Im planning to attend her funeral

Posted by: alaija93 | August 16, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse