Md. fire station burns after snow collapses roof
A fire station in Sykesville has been largely destroyed by a three-alarm fire that started after the roof collapsed under the weight of snow.
Carroll County spokeswoman Vivian Laxton says the roof of the station's banquet hall caved in around 7:40 a.m. Thursday, causing a gas line to rupture, sparking the blaze.
The fire burned for more than six hours. It was brought under control shortly after noon, Laxton said.
Firefighters from three neighboring counties helped fight the blaze.
The station was unoccupied at the time of the collapse because firefighters were out on a call. No one was injured, and no fire trucks were damaged.
But Laxton says the living quarters and banquet hall were destroyed along with much of the equipment inside those buildings.
This post has been updated since it was first published.
-- Associated Press
Washington Post Editors
February 11, 2010; 2:50 PM ET
Categories: Fires & Fire Safety , Maryland
Save & Share: Previous: Spring break scammer ordered to repay classmates he bilked
Next: Raw video: Man smashes TVs at Wal-Mart
The comments to this entry are closed.