Md. man whose dog died of heatstroke gets jail time

A Thurmont man whose Rottweiler died from heatstroke after being left chained to a stake in the hot July sun has been sentenced to 90 days in jail.

On Tuesday, Frederick County District Judge Janice Ambrose also ordered 24-year-old Michael Flemming to do 50 hours of community service, preferably at an animal shelter.

Flemming was convicted in February of one misdemeanor count of animal cruelty and three misdemeanor counts of restraining an animal without water and shelter.

Prosecutors say the 112-pound dog died of severe heat exhaustion after he was left chained outside in temperatures near 90 degrees.

Flemming told the judge he loved the dog, and that no jail time could erase what he has to deal with every day.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post Editors  |  March 17, 2010; 10:11 AM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Va. police chiefs want handgun-in-bar legislation vetoed
Next: Fairfax cop teaches indoor pipe a lesson, shoots it

Comments

Loved the dog, yet he tied it up? Makes no sense. Hope they toss this loser in jail and throw away the key. Too many people out there do not take proper care of their dogs. I also hope the Judge has forbidden him from owning an animal for a period of time.

Posted by: TG10 | March 17, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

geez. I wouldn't want to be 'loved' by THAT guy...

Posted by: WilyArmadilla | March 17, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

He's a liar and an abuser. I have a dog. I love her dearly. I would never leave her out in the sun in the summer. Dogs have fur moron! He deserves more jail time and he should be left out in the sun for the day without water. What a jerk to say that he misses the dog. I hate people!

Posted by: FiatBooks | March 17, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why some people insist on having pets but mistreat them like this. If one does not like having an animal inside their house, then don't get one.

On a personal note, I once went to the house of my girlfriend's parents. They had a dog which they left outside in a kennel all day long. They said the dog was too big to come inside. When I asked why not get a smaller dog, the mom replied she didn't want a "sissy" dog. I was horrified.

Posted by: jabreal00 | March 17, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see there are other smart kind hearted people out there. Jabreal00 I hear you, I walk my dog several times a day, a real walk, not just 5 minutes around the block and I always pass those lazy people, in apartments and homes, who walk out to the grass stand there and let their dog do it's business and then take it back inside. Owning a dog is a huge responsibility and takes lots of time and it doesn't take even a high school diploma to know that. So I always wonder when the thought occurs to these people that they even want a dog. If you don't want your dog in your home and you don't want to take the time to love and care for the dog don't get one.

Posted by: TG10 | March 17, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Tie him up in the yard on a very hot day. No water, no relief from the sun. Don't forget to put a fur coat on him. Then (if he survives) throw him in jail.

Live by the sword; die by the sword.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 17, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse