The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 4:23 PM ET, 01/27/2011

Md. couple sickened by CO

By Matt Zapotosky
Matt Zapotosky

Two Fairmount Heights residents had to be hospitalized Thursday after they were poisoned by carbon monoxide produced by a generator they were using to power their home.

Firefighters were tipped to trouble in the 1300 block of Doewood Lane about 10 a.m.Thursday, though they went to the scene not knowing exactly what was wrong, authorities said. When they arrived, they found classic signs of CO poisoning: a woman inside was unconscious and a man was disoriented, authorities said.

The two people, a couple, were transported to a nearby hospital for treatment, said Mark Brady, a Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department spokesman. Once outside of the carbon monoxide, their conditions immediately started to improve, he said. They are expected to survive.

Brady said the couple was using a gasoline generator to power appliances in their home. He said it is important people using generators to power their home use them outside. The devices produce high levels of carbon monoxide, which in some cases, can be fatal.

By Matt Zapotosky  | January 27, 2011; 4:23 PM ET
Categories:  Fires & Fire Safety, Matt Zapotosky, Pr. George's  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man killed by tree was on way to work
Next: Wolf demands report on ICE database

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company