Pr. George's officer indicted in gun case
The Prince George's County police narcotics detective who was being investigated for losing track of more than 20 firearms he seized while working for a state-run gun task force was indicted Tuesday on 13 criminal charges of theft and misconduct in office, according to a law enforcement source and online court records.
Juan Carter had been suspended since late last year as investigators tried to determine what happened to 23 guns he took off the streets as part of a state police task force, but then could not account for. Late Tuesday, investigators served him with the indictment and raided his house, a law enforcement source said. They remained there after 6 p.m., towing a black S430 from the driveway and also seizing what appeared to be a long gun.
Sources have said that at some point during the investigation, Carter approached his superiors to report that he was having trouble locating some of the guns he had seized. The superiors searched his car and found two of them, sources said. Another gun, sources said, is believed to have been used in the shooting of an off-duty county police officer last September. Some sources said investigators were exploring whether Carter was selling the guns he seized on the streets.
More details will be provided as they become available.
-- Matt Zapotosky
Washington Post Editors
| October 26, 2010; 6:27 PM ET
Categories: Maryland, Matt Zapotosky, Pr. George's
Save & Share: Previous: Pentagon, Marine Corps museum shots linked
Next: Man, 24, shot dead in D.C.
Posted by: cemea | October 27, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse