Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Pregnant woman, kidnapped and cut, reunites with medics who cared for her

Matt Zapotosky

The pregnant woman who was kidnapped and slashed open by another woman who wanted to steal her unborn child was reunited Monday with the firefighters and medics who treated her in the minutes after she escaped from her attacker’s apartment, authorities said Thursday.

Teka Adams, 29, introduced her newborn baby, Miracle Sky, to those firefighters and medics at the NBC4 studio in the District, authorities said. The reunion was arranged by NBC4, which first reported on the gathering.

Both Adams, who was homeless when she was attacked, and Miracle are doing well and living with Adams's father in the District, authorities said. Adams’s alleged attacker, 40-year-old Veronica D. Deramous, is being held on charges of attempted murder.

John Updike

Left to right, firefighters Renee Wood, Jarren Hall, Antwan Holbert, Robert Woody, Lt. Ralph Welch and Brandon Wood with Teka Adams and newborn Miracle Sky. (Prince George's Fire Department.)

In a news release, Prince George’s fire department spokesman Mark Brady said some of the firefighters and paramedics who found Adams on Dec. 6 were so traumatized by the experience that they were sent home immediately. According to police charging documents, Adams’s innards were hanging out when she escaped Deramous’s Suitland apartment.

Brady said the crewmembers exchanged memories about the day they found Adams, and each took a turn holding Miracle. The firefighters also brought Adams a medal with the patron saint of firefighters, Brady said.

Those involved in caring for Adams included fire Lt. Ralph Welch, firefighter/medic Brandon Wood, firefighter/medic Renee Wood, firefighter/medic Jarren Hall, firefighter/medic Robert Woody and firefighter/medic Antwan Holbert.

-- Matt Zapotosky

By Matt Zapotosky  |  January 28, 2010; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  Matt Zapotosky , Pr. George's  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update: Missing 11-year-old found
Next: Pr. George's judge throws out Keith Washington civil case


Nice work, PG fire department! This is the kind of news I like to hear about. Glad to know that Teka and her daughter are safe and sound.

Posted by: steampunk | January 29, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company