The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Should police have shot Parrot?

Matt Zapotosky

I’ve gotten several e-mails and phone calls about my story on the dog that was shot during the Adams Morgan festival Sunday afternoon.

Most are from witnesses supporting the dog owner’s version of events, though none yet have been able to say what happened down in the stairwell where the dog was ultimately shot.

From Adams Morgan Day. (Courtesy Dylan Singleton)

Sherita Ala’i, for example, wrote to say her daughter, 9-year-old Neda Changuit, was the one mentioned at the bottom of the story, watching in horror as the shooting unfolded.

She said the dog was “subdued/contained” and there was “no need” for the police to shoot it. Though she did not see the dog after it was down the steps, she said she watched "with shock and total disbelief" as the officer fired.

( On Post Now: Owner of dog that was attacked talks about incident. )

“I thought initially that it couldn't possibly be a real gun,” she said.

Conor Healy, Neda’s father, said he, too, saw the officer draw his gun and fire. He said the officer did so calmly, after it appeared the situation had been resolved.

“Thankfully we didn’t see the bloody mess that was created," he said. "It just seemed completely out of proportion and just shocking that somebody would fire a gun on the street.”

Their accounts highlight the two main points of dispute here. First, was the dog under control before the officer threw him down the stairwell, or even before the officer got involved? And second, did the dog charge the officer before he shot?

Jacob Kishter, commander of the police's third district, said the officer remains on full duty status while investigators probe what happened. He said while he has no information to contradict what he said Sunday -- essentially, that Officer Scott Fike was justified in shooting the dog -- the investigation is ongoing. Police have received e-mails about the case, he said, and are reviewing pictures and other materials that have surfaced on neighborhood listservs.

A picture is circulating online that seems to show the dog, a 2-year-old Shar-Pei mix named Parrot, being controlled by the officer in the way his owner has described. The owner, Aaron Block, said even before this, he himself had the dog under control, and then an officer took him away.

Sushi, the dog that was attacked. (Courtesy Sheila Martins Silva)

Other witnesses have said the situation was more chaotic. Soleiman Askarinam, the owner of Spaghetti Garden, said several officers had to get the dog under control, and he felt police “did a good job” in controlling a volatile situation.

Tony De Pass, 67, a former D.C. police officer who lives in Northwest, said the dog snapped at the officer as the officer was holding it down, which prompted the officer to toss it down the stairwell. De Pass also said the dog charged at the officer before the shooting.

Lucky Dog Animal Rescue, the group that was trying to adopt out Parrot, has released a copy of the police report in the incident.

The report is nearly identical to Fike's and De Pass's accounts.

It’s important to note that police do not dispute that the officer had the dog pinned before the shooting. They simply dispute that the situation was totally under control at that moment in time.

Did you see the dog charge up the stairwell or act aggressively after he was pinned? Better yet, do you have photo or video of what happened? E-mail me at zapotoskym@washpost.com if so.

This item has been updated since it was first published.

-- Matt Zapotosky

By Matt Zapotosky  | September 13, 2010; 7:19 PM ET
Categories:  Animal Stories, Matt Zapotosky, The District, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jail for pair in Va. pot case
Next: 50-lb. tortoise stolen in Delaware

Comments

Why did the officer throw the dog down the stairwell? It looks as though the dog was completely under control before the officer threw him down. Did he throw him because he planned on shooting him and didn't want people to see?

Also, it seems logical that if you try to injure a dog, he might not be too happy. So maybe he was about to charge the officer, because the officer threw him down unnecessarily.

I'm curious as to what the protocol would be in this situation, whether the officer followed it, and, therefore, whether protocol should be changed. If the dog was truly an immediate threat to someone, he probably should have been killed. But knowing what we know now, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Posted by: trossc | September 13, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"the dog snapped at the officer as the officer was holding it down, which prompted the officer to toss it down the stairwell"

Wow, just wow. So the dog snapped at a stranger kneeling on it's back. Well, hey, plenty of reason to waste that puppy! I notice that it does not say that the dog bit the cop, only that he snapped at him. I guess in his 25 years of police work Officer Fike has never dealt with a suspect who didn't enjoy being knelt on.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 13, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The truly sad and ironic part is all of those horrified onlookers and commenters on here are probably going to turn around and vote for more unions and big government this Tuesday and again in November. It is funny how people love big government at the voting booth but somehow are shocked when they see it in person.

Posted by: GM4242 | September 13, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

And also, I have to wonder the size of "former DC police officer Tony De Pass" pension?

When you retire after 20 years and have the taxpayer foot the bill so you can collect 80% of your salary for doing nothing, it is easy to defend your colleagues.

Posted by: GM4242 | September 13, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

More than one eyewitness has said that the dog was struggling to its feet at the bottom of the 10-foot deep stairwell when it was shot. Apparently it was injured from having been thrown and from the hold the poodle had on its face.

Posted by: dcnative71 | September 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

if the dog was already subdued why further aggravate the situation by throwing him down the stairwell? i would think if the dog was no longer aggressive after being subdued then it certainly would have been so after having been thrown down a flight of stairs.

Posted by: RadioDarcy | September 13, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I would be curious to know if there was an examination done on the dog to see if it had been injured as a result of it being being thrown down to the bottom of the stair case and/or being pinned down by the police. Any ideas?

Posted by: no14u | September 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Really, truly, disgusting conduct. How this can be instantly justified by the police command who will back up their own no matter how egregious the conduct is cause for a thorough investigation by a special prosecutor. Makes you wonder about all the "resisting arrest" cases. This officer and reflexively defending superior should be put under the microscope to see what else there is. Where is the chief in all this? Some leadership is required here.

Posted by: fa123456 | September 13, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

this poor dog, why,based on the picture above did the officer(and I really feel like I should use the term loosely) feel it necessary to THROW the dog down the stairs, concrete I'm sure, then shoot him, no doubt the dog was hurt,does it make you feel like a big man now officer Fike? Why not while the dog was on the ground & you were kneeling on it not have the owner take him, I hope he did bite you tho all reports are to the contrary, you were hurting him. Hope you feel good about yourself and when your done chest puffing to anyone who will listen stop & think hard about what you did. It was dispicable and unnecessary. Go to sleep tonight knowing you killed a pet for no good reason, oh, and the retired cop,pleaseeeeee, you old codger,go sit down somewhere. I am however glad that they corrected the breed, poor pitbull's take enough heat without being thrown into a fray they had nothing to do with.

Posted by: stopthesprawl | September 13, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Really, truly, disgusting conduct. How this can be instantly justified by the police command who will back up their own no matter how egregious the conduct is cause for a thorough investigation by a special prosecutor. Makes you wonder about all the "resisting arrest" cases. This officer and his reflexively defending superior should be put under the microscope to see what else there is. Where is the chief in all this? Some leadership is required here.

Posted by: fa123456 | September 13, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Apart from everything else, is it ok for a cop to pull and fire a weapon at a crowded street festival. What if people had been scared and stampeded.

Doesn't this remind you of the cop who brought a gun to a snowball fight!

Posted by: rachbrit1 | September 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

There are alot of comments being generated on this tragedy, some factual and some not. What I can add is contradictory to the comment attributed to Jacob Kishter, Commander of the 3rd Police District and reported in the Washington Post today - "once the officer pushed the dog down the stairwell" - is not at all what happened. As seen in the photo showing the officer had control of the dog, he held the top of dog's head and the skin on his back and walked over to the stairwell railing and THREW the dog from chest height down to the bottom - a height of between 9 and 10 feet. This I saw because I was standing at the doorway of the business where the dog was killed.
As I turned away, in 1 - 3 seconds a single shot rang out. I then went out on the platform above the stairwell, and saw the dying dog's head was nearly on top of the floor drain next to the locked gate at the bottom of the steps FACING away from the steps.

Posted by: wordsalad | September 13, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

GM4242, I am absolutely astounded that you somehow equate union membership to hurting an innocent dog, or even the attitude that you are above the law. As a proud union member myself, I can assure you me nor any of my brothers and sisters in my workplace would behave in such a manner.

Also, from experience, I can tell you that police and military and other such security workers believe they can act without consequence for reasons that have nothing to do with union membership. The blue code of silence exists whether those paticular officers or guards are unionized or not. If this man is allowed to continue in his job, it will not be because the union fights it, I assure you.

It is equally ludicrous that you consider this an aspect of big government. This looks like a mistake made by an individual person - I don't think the law forced him to behave in this way. I also do not know what alternative you would propose - privatized police force? Somehow I don't think that would have resulted any differently if it was this same individual involved. Or by smaller government you must mean fewer police officers? That way there aren't enough around to protect us?

I'm simply unable to see the connection.

Posted by: EAR0614 | September 13, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

The officer is a complete jerk, hiding behind a gun. We need to place an employment limit on police officers. Four years is enough time, before they get suspicious and callous towards the public. They get so jacked up on adrenalin in these instances that they resort to violence and murder. Had it been two people fighting, would he have shot one of them? Probably! And I bet he'll fall back on, "it looked like a Pitbull and it's in it's nature to attack". It's just amazing the behavior officers get away with these days, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Posted by: elbirtj | September 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Two or three police officer accounts being contested by dozens of credible witnesses? Someone else commented on this BLOG - Where is the leadershipof this city. Mayor, isn't it time for you and Chief Lanier to address what's going on here?

Posted by: wordsalad | September 13, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

You seem naive about how cops report on incidents that put them in a bad light. Check out NOLA.com and search "Danziger Bridge shooting". Cops in New Orleans shot some civilians after hurricane Katrina and covered it up. Unjustified shooting. Feds are prosecuting and the cop perps have confessed.

Posted by: glenmayne | September 13, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

wordsalad:

I would implore you to please come forward and share your account with whatever type of investigation or incident follow up is conducted. The counter-narrative to MPD's position must be told.

Posted by: bobz2 | September 13, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Why do people still give police reports any credence at all?

Posted by: junkpileaddy | September 13, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Nothing will be done and the government (Police in this case) will continue to oppress us all. How many loving pets will die before accountability is assumed by the government? They train the cops to use several ways to subdue dangerous people but yet they don't care about our four legged family members. I have never heard of a dog killing anyone and if a cop can't handle a dog then whats he going to do when less then deadly force is warranted? It's a shame and sad.... my heart goes out to the family of Parrot...

Posted by: theroadking001 | September 13, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: theroadking001 | September 13, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

As an Adams Morgan resident, a dog owner, and mother of a small child, I am sitting here literally with my jaw dropped. I am horrified and disgusted at this abuse of power. It seems to me over the past few years there have been multiple incidences of DC police shooting dogs, unprovoked. I understand that police put their lives at risk every day to protect the public, but for many people their pets are like children. This is not something you do without provocation. If no one was in harm's way, there is no reason to 1. throw a pet down a flight of stairs and 2. KILL IT. My sincere condolences go out to the owner of Parrot and to the children that were there to witness this horrific crime! This is an injustice of PETA proportions!

Posted by: jcass | September 13, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Im curious as why the Humaine Society hasn't stepped in and completed their own investigation. I want to know why the standards are different for regular individuals and authority figures when it comes to injuring animals.

Posted by: AURORA20032 | September 13, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

This article states....The report is nearly identical to Fike's and De Pass's accounts.

Of course the report will be nearly identical for gods sakes, Fike is the one that wrote the report.......

Posted by: Dawn | September 13, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

After years of observation, I'm beginning to equate cops with very short hair and receding hairlines as being more aggressive. Is there a relation to high testosterone count, receding hairlines, and increased aggression. I believe there is.

Cops strung out on caffine (a stimulant) may fit into the equation also.

Posted by: localgoober | September 13, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

So, according to the police report the only dog "bite" to a human was described as an abrasion on the cop's hand and wrist for which he declined medical treatment. I'm going to have the image of Officer Fike kneeling on that poor dog's neck burned into my mind for a long time. Because I know that within moments the good officer is going to throw the dog down a staircase and shoot the dog as it tries to get to its feet. At least, that's what an eyewitness who isn't or wasn't on MPD's payroll says.

Posted by: gmch | September 13, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I first heard about this yesterday - around 4 pm as reported on dcist.com. My initial reaction upon reading that account of the incident was shock, but I decided to wait a while to see how the story unfolded. Now, more than 24 hours later, I have read multiple accounts of the incident, looked at the pictures, and walked the couple of blocks from my apartment to check out the scene for myself. It has become pretty clear to me that the MPD officer's response to this incident was outrageous. The dog is clearly under control in the photographs, and the witnesses to the event (except for those affiliated with the police in some way) largely substantiate the idea that the dog was not a threat. The descriptions of the officer's throwing the animal down a stair case and then executing it in full view of many people (and it seems like some children) are awful, and the fact that this officer saw fit - having already controlled the animal - to draw and fire a gun in the middle of a crowded street festival makes it pretty clear to me that he is a danger to the very residents he is paid to "serve and protect." He does not deserve to serve on the MPD. Knowing that people like this officer are holding badges and guns makes me feel markedly less safe. He not only unnecessarily killed someone's pet, but also put everyone at that street festival at risk with his quick trigger. What makes any one of us think he would not have a similar reaction when confronted with a situation involving a human? I sincerely hope that this officer will face some sort of judicial consequence, though I have lived long enough in this city to doubt that we will see justice here.

Posted by: 17thTNW | September 13, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

This is the saddest story ever. Brutal, awful - sheesh. I so appreciate our police officers but this guy really needs to be disciplined for how he handled this. What a way to go - that poor dog. Really. Shame on that guy and shame on us if we don't have the humanity to be outraged by this. I know plenty of bad things happen to humans but there's no need to pile on like this by killing a dog - in front of fricking kids.

Posted by: sara17 | September 13, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

why didn't they put a leash on the dog or a muzzel around his mouth and let the owner take him away? He hardly looks like he is struggling. Truly disgusting. How do you warrant throwing a dog down the stairs? That right there is animal abuse. With all those eye witnesses, unless the police sweep it under the rug, I don't see how they can get away with an unjustified shooting.

Posted by: slp101670 | September 13, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

This cop needs to be suspended. How on earth is this shooting justified?

Posted by: lastort1 | September 13, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

OMG People, really? If you read the whole incident report, you would have noticed something about a bloody poodle. Guess y'all didn't get that far.

The dog was aggressive towards another dog and towards the officer. Something had to be done. I have 2 small dogs and I adore them. If a large, aggressive breed attacked one of my dogs, I would have shot it myself! If it were my large dog... no wait, my dog would never have done such a thing.

It's unfortunate, that this dog was not properly trained. Plus, what moron would take their dog to a huge, crowded event like that.

Posted by: uwannadance | September 13, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

@uwannadance - From the police report:

"The pitbull had a bloody nose and appeared to be out of control."

Why didn't the cop kill the poodle too, since it obviously attacked "the putbull."

From reading the report it sounds like both dogs were aggressive. It happens. Shooting either of the dogs involved should be the absolute last thing officer Fike should have done, especially in a large crowd.

Posted by: lastort1 | September 13, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

uwannadance: Parrot reacted to the poodle. The poodle was aggressive first. By your logic, why isn't the poodle dead?

Posted by: junkpileaddy | September 13, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Also, look at this picture

Tell us how this dog was struggling after this point and deserved to be shot. Fike should be suspended without pay for discharging his weapon for no justifiable reason.

Posted by: lastort1 | September 13, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

The owner's view of what happened:

Parrot is [a] two-year-old dog for whom we have cared for almost a month. He has never bitten another dog and is regularly walked along 17th street during the busiest times of day without incident. He's extremely friendly.

Today, there was an unexpected scuffle between Parrot and a poodle. Aaron, subdued Parrot, who was wearing both a leash and a harness. To do so, he placed his hands in Parrot's mouth and held it open, which he has done when Parrot gets overexcited when romping in the apartment. As it had in the past, this calmed Parrot down.

At this point, the policeman knocked Aaron off of Parrot. The policeman put his knee in the middle of Parrot's back while pulling Parrot's forelegs behind him, as one would do with an armed criminal. Without waiting to determine whether this technique would calm Parrot, the policeman grabbed Parrot, lifted him off the ground, and brought him to the top of the concrete staircase. He threw Parrot over the banister, down twelve steps, and onto the concrete floor. Then, the policeman stood at the top of the stairs, drew his weapon, and executed Parrot. Aaron cannot recall the number of shots fired.

Posted by: lastort1 | September 13, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

uwannadance: Fox news had video tape of the owner holding the poodle after the attack. There was a very good view of the poodle's legs. It was not bloody. There was no blood on the poodle. You shouldn't believe
police reports.

Posted by: glenmayne | September 13, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

uwannadance, plenty of people have been bitten by small dogs; usually, it's because small dog owners think their dogs' behavior is 'cute,' or that small dogs are not potentially dangerous. I've been taking my 60lb. dog to a dog park for 15 years now, and BY FAR the most aggressive dogs I've encountered have been small ones who yap, bark, and pull on their owners leashes when you so much as walk by.

Posted by: gmch | September 13, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

What kind of idiot takes a dog to a street festival? They are crowded and chaotic enough for people, let alone a dog. It is inhumane to walk a dog in such an environment. I would charge the owner with animal cruelty.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | September 13, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

uwannadance: plenty of people have been bitten by small dogs; usually, it's because small dog owners think their dogs' behavior is 'cute,' or that small dogs are not potentially dangerous. I've been taking my 60lb. dog to a dog park for 15 years now, and BY FAR the most aggressive dogs I've encountered have been small ones who yap, bark, strain at their leashes and generally antagonize other dogs.

Posted by: gmch | September 13, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

@RepealObamacareNow

The dog's owner lives in Adams Morgan, which was where the festival was. It's his neighborhood, and he has a right to take his dog for a walk.

Do you hold the same contempt for the poodle's owner? Or is your "this dog deserved to die" stance reserved for pit bulls?

Posted by: lastort1 | September 13, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

1. Most cops I've seen at work are dangerous persons who should have never been given a badge, a gun, and the privilege of "serving" the public (I mean upholding the rights of the wealthy and getting away with brutalizing anyone who doesn't fit that description).

2. White people keep touting how "fair" cops are when they shoot Black people in the back 41 times or murder old Black ladies in wheelchairs and plant guns and/or drugs on them. Stop. Think about it. If they're going to unfairly target people they hate and/or fear, what makes you think they won't come for YOU?
3. This poor animal will never live to see a day in a happy forever home, thanks to some prick with a really bad complex/attitude. The rage on this cop's face is very telling, I have to say, and it's the same kind of rage Blacks see when faced with a cop who can't wait to make some excuse to pull the trigger.
Stop, people. Look around you. Under Kathy Lanier's leadership, there have been more instances of police brutality than under anyone else's. I supported her until one of her cops shot a Black woman's dog, then used the woman's WATER FOUNTAIN to wash his blood-stained hands while Kathy Lanier congratulated him on a job well-done.
You'd better think about the maniacs riding around in body armor and carrying rifles and handguns. Are they there to help or kill you, your pets, your friends?

Posted by: jeandarc824 | September 13, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick of this happening, I can't tell you how many times my dogs have been (unprovoked) attacked by little dogs. Luckily my dogs have never retaliated, my 90lb lab/pit mix was actually rolled by a toy Yorkie and steers clear of them now when she see's them. They should be ashamed especially in there line of work, there judgment should be better. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!

Posted by: brachell36 | September 13, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

So wait, the guy has his dog, acting crazy or not but he's got him. A Police officer comes up and is like, "I got this". The Officer takes the dog and pins him down with at least two other officers standing around watching. So now what? He picks this dog up!!? Why? picking up a calm dog of that size is tricky (they don't like it) but your saying this dog is out of control? Then the officer throws him over a railing down to the bottom of a flight of concrete stairs. I'm lost. The officer then goes to the top of the stairs and waits for the dog to get up and start coming up the stairs. Where did he think the dog was going to go? The officer shoots the dog. Huh? Did he intend to shoot the dog when he picked him up and threw him down the stairwell?

Posted by: DCBartender | September 13, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

How are people supposed to trust those who are supposed to serve and protect when they lie and commit crimes against the innocent. This guy had options. My husband is in law enforcement and has been in multiple situations from search warrants to raids and to date has never hurt an animal. This guy was eager to shoot something and now he has. He is a coward and a poor excuse for a law enforcement officer. I hope my friend karma and he meet real soon. RIP Parrot your murderer goes free!

Posted by: doggydog1 | September 13, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

You people are nutts!!! Are you aware of how pits are mauling and killing in record numbers? If you aren't that wise, then I suggest you see the research that has been done on www.cravendesires.blogspot.com and the group that has Parrot listed the dog on Petfinders as a pit bull, not a SharPei. They said it was adopted which means the "handler" was not a foster but the owner probably. Be sure and read the comments. Parrot got a well earned dirt nap.

Posted by: PitsR4Fools | September 13, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to say what really happend. It sounds dramatic but he was attacking another dog and the owner did get bit by him according to the articles. I have to say that as the owner of a small dog I really don't get why people with aggresive large dogs bring them out in public. I would never take my dog to a walking trail or a festival becasue I know someone or several people with a big aggressive dog that they think is harmless would be there and my dog might get attacked. Working in the animal field I have seen dogs attack people a lot and I have seen dogs attack and even kill other dogs a lot and when it is happening it is horrible (blood and death squeals and 5 people trying to stop it slipping in blood) and if you had a gun....you might shoot them too

Posted by: Dervish1 | September 13, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

@PitsR4Fools:

Why don't you try posting a FACTUAL website instead of an OPINIONATED BLOG! FACTS support arguements, not opinions. Hey, I'm typing right here that the world is flat.....it wasn't right in the 3rd Century BCE, and it's not right now!

If you'd like FACTS and STUDIES, check out:

Or heck, just Google the average number of people killed by Pit Bulls each year, it's 3, not the 440,000 that cigarettes kill or the 40,000+ that car accidents kill.

Ignorance is killing our society.

Posted by: AnonOMus1 | September 14, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

@PitsR4Fools:

Why don't you try posting a FACTUAL website instead of an OPINIONATED BLOG? FACTS support arguements, not opinions.

Hey, I'm typing right here that the world is flat.....it wasn't right in 3rd Century BCE, and it's not right now!

If you'd like FACTS and STUDIES, check out:

And just becuase criminals take this breed and fight it and make it do terrible things, you want to punish us all? Guess what, get rid of them and the same criminals are going to go after your beloved Labs and Retrievers who can be trained and tortured just as easily to fight so they can still make money.

If you're going to ban my dogs, ban ALL of them! My mother's Chihuahua has bitten more times and drawn more blood than I can even count, let's ban those nasty brutes! Oh and my best friend's Standard Poodle? He's sent 4 people to the ER to get stitches, out they go! My boys? Not once.

Ignorance, bigotry, and imposition of others' OPINIONS are killing our once beautiful and FREE country.

Posted by: AnonOMus1 | September 14, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Ugh! If the owner got control, why did the stupid police officer get involved?

The police officer got involved and he had his hand scraped. Was that it? Did he get mad and throw the dog? That in and of itself is unforgivable. And as to that retired police officer, he is part of the group who watch out for each other. I would not believe a word he says. He is part of the brotherhood! And I never used to think about cops like that. Then New Orleans during Katrina happened. And so for a few other events I heard about.

I am beginning to believe that these cops are under so much stress that they all are one event away from having a meltdown, like I think this cop did. Just this year a cop who was cited for heroism and valor in my home town went to a local bar and shot and killed his wife and her two friends. No one saw it coming. Or so they say. All of them need mandatory counseling on a regular basis and not just when something happens. Just like our soldiers returning home.

Based on that picture, so many things could have been done before brute force. It is sad and maddening at the same time. I hope those that saw it will come out and testify.

Posted by: sandnsmith | September 14, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

First, let me just say if he threw my a%* over a stairwell I'm pretty sure I'd get up pissed as hell. Assuming, that is, I was able to get up. If a picture is worth a thousand words then the evidence is right in front of our faces. What is everyone questioning?! If a person is scared or fights back they atleast try to restrain them before tasering them. Parrot didn't even get that much. And he was only about 50 lbs and on a leash!!! Am I missing something here? Someone plz fill me in and tell me why the officer ripped the owner off of the dog when the owner had him under control? That seems to be the account from others who witnessed it, not just Aaron, the owner. And where the heck is Boss Kathy? I'd like to give her an earful as well. How in the world do u condone such inexplicable behavior from a man u have issued a gun to? BTW, FYI... doggie 101...why is it people accept UNacceptable behaviors from a small dog that would never be tolerated from a large breed? I am speaking from experience as the owner of a 60 lb pitmix & a 15 lb eskipoo. Similar to "Sushi". My little one is the instigator...not my big girl. Nope. But see, the difference here is I don't tolerate it from my little guy anymore than I would from my pitmix, who just for the record, might lick u to death given the chance. Oh, and one more thing...why is it anything nowadays that is "non-descript" is a pitmix??? My daughter adopted a dog that was classified as a pitmix and guess what??? it is a pointer-lab-terrier mix! How 'bout them apples. Everything I've read said Parrot was a sharpei mix...hmmm, imagine that. My 80 lb Golden growled and showed his teeth, once but I never felt the urge to shoot him, nor did my neighbors. I'm glad Officer Fike isn't in my neighborhood. I really don't think I'd feel too safe. How could I? He can't handle a 50 lb dog let alone a 200 lb rapist! Go figure.

Posted by: flygirl1159 | September 14, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Why do you keep calling this dog a Shar Pei mix? I already posted a link to the Lucky Dog Rescue's own Petfinder posting (http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17017618) which clearly lists it as a pit bull. Do you have something against Shar Peis or are you just trying to protect pit bulls from "bad publicity"?

Why don't you write an article about the dog that was attacked by the pit bull? Maybe you could even use its name rather than just referring to it as "the other dog" or "the white dog", God knows you've used "Parrot" enough.

Biased much?

Posted by: JasonQwest | September 14, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

you're talking about cops with guns and a sizeable dog with teeth.

what is there to say.

Either the cops were wrong, which they will never admit, or they were right, which the owner and many bystanders will never admit. So pick a side.

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | September 14, 2010 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Ok Zap - time to do your homework as a journalist. Whats this officer's employment/complaint/use of force/gun history, and whats Lanier got say about this? Obviously, Kishter is content to take the officer's version over anyone else's. Have you confronted him with the contrary versions? You can read them all in the comments that follow your story. Tossing a dog down a stairwell and then shooting it would cause any citizen to face criminal prosecution and substantial jail time. There is no different standard for public employees, is there?

Posted by: fa123456 | September 14, 2010 2:22 AM | Report abuse

Did any of the anti-pitbull boneheads that responded actually read the article? the breed of the dog shot was never confirmed as anything.The officer said" it looked like a pitbull" - and as his actions clearly showed, he don't know jack about dog breeds.
Pure bred Labrador Retrievers are known as "box head" labs as they have a broad boxy head, just like.....oh many dogs mis-labeled as "pits". I lost count of the number of times I've had ignorent butt heads make a comment about my papered purebred lab, or react like hysterical 3 year olds because "its a pit bull". Its become a uneducated,fear driven hysteria in this country.
I find the picture of the "officer" kneeling on the dog interesting.The dogs body posture is totally submissive and obviously the crowd, standing so close- was not in fear for its life. If the dog were truley aggressive, or even scared to the point it felt it had to fight for its life -Officer Unfriendly would have had a hell of a time kneeling on him, or even restraining him in any manner at all. It is an obvious over reaction by the officer who involved himself in a simple dog skirmish.
Dogs communicate through body language and vocalization.It is VERY common and natural for dogs to communicate an invasion of personal space by nipping at another dog.RELAX IGNORENT PARANOID PEOPLE! It's the same behavior dogs have been exhibiting since they were domesticated.
Oh, and for you pit bull haters out there -If you want accurate numbers of dog bite incidences and which breeds have the highest occurence -check the CDC.....yeah, the Center For Disease Control.Just chuck a dot org. after CDC and read it unless you simply enjoy being misinformed and emotionally sensational.

Posted by: wen6969 | September 14, 2010 2:34 AM | Report abuse

This is the inevitable result of pandering to dogs by building dog parks.

Posted by: duncanjo | September 14, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

This story makes me sick. This does not, at all, sound like a case needing lethal force. The cop had already decided what he was going to do. Parrot never stood a chance. Such a sad ending to a life, finally filled with hope, ready to be adopted out to a forever home. The local community should be outraged and demand explanation,punishment for the officer and justice for Parrot.

Posted by: crenneck | September 14, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

I hate Cop Haters!!!! You all better hope you never need one. Geez!!!!

Posted by: Chazo | September 14, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

When I got to the festival, 18th Street was so packed you could hardly walk. There were so many vendors obstructing passage that it was a clear safety issue. I got out of there as soon as I could. No wonder the dogs freaked out. Why are folks surprised when they enter chaotic situations and disaster ensues? And with the lousy pay that cops receive, what do you expect? They battle the crackheads 365 days a year, and no one appreciates it, but everyone complains when a dog is killed. If you want to change things, apply to the police academy.

Posted by: Dave115 | September 14, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

It's amazing that dozens of different eyewitnesses can see through cops surrounding the dog and also down the stairs prior to the dog being shot. Did someone hit pause and allow onlookers to crowd around the stairwell before the dog was shot? Or could it be possible that people on both sides are making up stories to fit their views on pets?

And who cares about the picture? This was taken after the fight and before the shot - it tells us nothing about either.

Posted by: HokieDoke | September 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Yet another "pit bull attack" story that turns out to be neither a "pit bull" nor an "attack." Disgusting. The media contributes more to the image of so-called "pit bulls" being vicious than the dogs themselves do, and that's an impirical fact. A professor named Karen Delise has written extensively on the subject and I commend her work to anyone with interest.

But more importantly, I can't believe that trigger happy dog killer is back out on patrol. He should be jailed for animal cruelty, not put back out on the street with a weapon. I thank God every day that I do not live in DC, where the motto seems to be "shoot dogs first, ask questions later."

Posted by: VirginiaDad | September 14, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh and another thing - if an injured dog is stuck at the bottom of the stairwell, where else do you think he's going to go, besides up the stairs?!!?? It's incredible to me that an injured dog making his way towards the only manner of egress automatically translates to "charging" the officer. If this guy gets off in the face of so much evidence that he acted improperly, you can be sure that it's yet another DC police cover up. If Parrot's owner had the dog under control, only to have the officer take the dog away and then the officer lose control of him, how is that not 100% the officer's fault? Parrot's owner should be commended for not charging the officer himself. I would have.

Posted by: VirginiaDad | September 14, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

uwannadance: Obviously, the poodle's owner was an idiot by your definition for bringing her dog to the same event. Also, since you seem to know nothing about poodles or other small dogs, let me enlighten you: I grew up with 3 poodles. They are feisty little dogs who think they are as big as my Australian Shepherd, just as a small terrier does. Little dogs often pick fights with much larger dogs, like one of my neighbor's Yorkshire terriers does every time she sees my Aussie. It is also a fact that the dog that started this was the poodle, not the pit! The irresponsible one in this was the human being walking the poodle, who should have had the common sense to keep her dog away from a dog she did not know, just the owners of every single small dog in my neighborhood do whenever they see my 60 pound dog coming. My dog would never hurt another dog, and has many friends and playmates among the tiny set, but you'd be amazed how many pint sized terrorists there are who try to take a bite out of her every time they see her even when restrained by a least at a good distance from us! Sometimes their owners have a harder time restraining their dog than I do restraining mine! Owners know, or should know, when their dog is capable of that type of behavior. Having grown up with poodles, I can tell you that the owner of that dog HAD to know that the dog could react that way: it's in her nature! The cop who killed this poor dog was unjustified right down the line, and if MPD calls this justified then I would say they can't be trusted, at least not around pets. One of my favorite uncles was a cop, and I grew up around cops, and I can tell you that NONE of them would behave in such an egregious manner; however, they were all human beings, not goons.

Posted by: agrippamom1 | September 14, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Aaron brought to a crowded street fair a pit bull he knew for only couple months and who is "very strong," "still working on leash manners," a "bit of a bull in a china shop," and who's "idea of saying hello is affectionately running up and butting his head into you." While trying to control the "very strong" pit bull he chose to go barefoot. BRILLIANT!
If that dog were not a pit bull, Aaron's actions would have been INCREDIBLY STUPID. As it is, Aaron's actions are reprehensible.
FYI, a dog approaching another dog to smell it (ie greet it) is NOT provocative to a normal, well-socialized, well-trained dog.
But, no matter how well trained a pit bull is, the GOLDEN RULE OF PIT BULL OWNERSHIP is "Never Trust Your Pit Not To FIGHT." GOOGLE THAT PHRASE and you will find 3,800 pit bull owners are giving that advice.
The police officer, arriving on the scene, seeing blood on the poodle and on Aaron, did the only thing you can do with a pit bull after its shown aggression in a crowd of people - dispatch it. Knowing the pit's genetic heritage and the physical capability of the pit to do devastating damage, the officer did the only prudent thing to safeguard the public from the enormity Aaron's stupidity and dumb arrogance.

Posted by: zebulon1 | September 14, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

This is what the police are willing to do with hundreds of witnesses. Do not allow this to happened. The falsified police report is the issue that effects us all.

Posted by: drblott | September 14, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotsky - You make two points that are complementary, but which you use to support opposite versions. The fact that Ms. Ala'i could describe clearly the situation before the officer tossed Parrot down the stairwell and lost sight of him once he was in the well supports the video and still pictures that show the stairwell to be steep and deep. However, Mr. De Pass - in the verbatim quotes in earlier Post articles - states that the dog was charging "directly at him" and "would have got [sic]" Mr. De Pass or the officer. [1] With the dog down the stairwell, how was Mr. De Pass able to see any better than Ms. Ala'i ... or -better yet - any better than the guy with the bird's eye view on the Brass Knob's porch?? (Result: Mr. De Pass is embellishing his view or is lying) [2] If the officer was at the top of the stairwell, Parrot would have to pass the officer to charge Mr. De Pass, who didn't establish his location relative to the stairwell. Therefore, how was Parrot threatening Mr. De Pass so that he could have "done the same damn thing."??? (Result: Mr. De Pass was in front of the several officers who were already on the scene - and thereby impeding the officers - or he's lying)

Mr. De Pass's involvement is suspect at best. Complicit in erecting the blue wall, at worst. The facts, as you yourself have stated them are not comporting with the reports. I like how the officer's report states that Parrot "apperarad [sic] to be out of control."

Parrot's death was unwarranted and the use of lethal force was a serious overreaction. Ironic how the K-9 officer - ostensibly with the knowledge and expertise to handle an aggressive dog (like his canine partner), didn't use either the gloves that were in his back pocket nor the mace on his belt. The was, as they say, a bad shoot.

Posted by: PAULinDC1 | September 14, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

That dog was assassinated and MR. FIKE should go to jail.

Posted by: PGirl | September 14, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Assistant Chief Patrick Burke (Patrick.Burke@dc.gov) is responsible for the police officer who shot Parrot. Internal Affairs Captain Mario Patrizio (Mario.Patrizio@dc.gov) is in charge of this investigation and process. If you are a witness, PLEASE identify yourself and submit your report to them. If you know anyone else who is an eyewitness, please encourage them to submit their version of events on the record.

Posted by: anbassa | September 14, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

There is a candle-light vigil planned for Parrot -- http://www.facebook.com/?sk=events&cs=1&hc#!/event.php?eid=152120594810577

Posted by: anbassa | September 14, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

wHAT i Dont understand is that He was not even a pitt or even really looks like one, ja maybe the same colour and worst of all the Poodle was fine, it was not ripped to shreds was it? Was anyone even bitten? Hmm didnt think so, sometimes cops over react and those cops should not even be cops if they cant even control themselves!

Posted by: TGERBER85 | September 14, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

FIRSTLY HE WAS NO PIT NOR LOOKED LIKE ONE! The poodle was fine and not ripped to shreds. And finally he did not even bite anyone and the fact that he snapped was becoz he was a terrified, Im sure if he wanted to bite the cop he would of. SO, UNCALLED FOR SO OUT OF ORDER AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A COP!

Posted by: TGERBER85 | September 14, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

@ dcnative71, think of online news as a personal blog only with the person being paid, the truth is boring so while this "poster" probably knows the truth and that the officer had no right to shoot the dog he will not try and find a source for the info because it is easier watching the 6pm news and reiterating what they said, slightly different and with holes.

Posted by: therealhideo | September 14, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Officer Fike clearly used excessive force. The Bichon was not on a lead, nor was her owner in control of her. The owner was NOT cited for not having the dog on a leash.

Officer Fike had control of the dog. He got angry because he had to intervene. He brutally tossed Parrot down the stairwell and then shot him because he was angry.

I have heard many officers talk about being pissed off because they had to do something that their jobs required them to do. They take it out on the suspect (or in this case Parrot). They slam their heads into walls and cars. They dislocate shoulders. If the suspect runs they feel justified in beating that person.

MPD has not addressed the issues with their officers using excessive force. If you are upset about what Officer Fike did please send e-mails to Chief Lanier directly. Her e-mail is Kathy.Lanier@dc.gov.

Posted by: nailahjordan | September 14, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

so uwannadance wanted to know why nothing was said about the poodle. Did it ever occur to her/him that nothing happened to the poodle? Did the nip by Parrot warrant being thrown over a side rail (read witness account) into a secure area (read witness account) and being shot in front of children or anyone? Is this person so ignorant about dogs that they automatically believe anything that may be considered a bully breed is bad???? Did you know a Pomeranian killed a baby that was left alone with a it? There are stupid owners who raise stupid dogs...and then there are those that are just so ignorant that it defies belief!

Posted by: mayerling63 | September 14, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Adam's Morgan Day Festival had a PET PAVILION. There were many kiosks geared towards pets and animal lovers.

*It is ALWAYS the owner's risk and responsibily when bringing their pet out in public.

The reason that Parrot, the pit-bull mix (he was advertised as a pit-bull on his Petfinder profile as well as his appearance schedule) was at the festival was to find a forever home. He was waiting to be adopted. Aaron Block was merely his foster owner.

I was not there to witness this horrible incident as I had arrived moments after the incident took place but I have read how this story unfolds.

The woman that owns the poodle claimed that when we she saw Parrot she “could tell like how aggressive the dog was”. First of all any owner should know that you should keep an eye on your dog and to make sure it was okay with the other owner before your dog goes and starts sniffing around and invading the other dog's space. From the video clip from Fox News the dog doesn't even appear to have a lead/leash on. Did she have HER dog in control to begin with?

Parrot may have bitten the poodle but the poodle also bit Parrot as well as a bystander. This small dog isn't considered "aggressive" or a "threat"? That dog walked away with his life.

Parrot was subdued by his foster and even with the officer. For someone who was a "highly trained K9 officer" he acted like an amateur.

This isn't the first case of an officer unjustly shooting and killing a dog. I don't think it will be the last..

Posted by: gkdc | September 14, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

1st Point. People can give cute little names for named dangerous dogs but they are still dangerous and can kill.

2nd Point. This whole event could have been prevented if Lucky Dog Animal Rescue, used better judgement and kept that dog away from large crowds and had a safety plan or training in case other dogs approach.

3rd Point. What was the officer supposed to do throw a handkerchief or a roll of toilet paper at a dog that not even it's handler could control.

4th. All those good Samaritans watching taking photos made the incident worst by taking away options for the officer.

They would have done more good going to safe location and or call 911 so the Dept. i.e. supervisor could sent more help. With both hands on the dog he could have not been able to key up his radio and give the details he needed to receive assistance.

5th If that dog reached the open area the officer could have lost his ability to use force available to him needed to stop the obvious threat Because of that great group of Samaritans clustered around the incident.

6th Goes back to the 5th that was smart move by the officer to isolate the hostile dog so if he became aggressive again the officer could stop the threat before the dog took a human victim.

Good Job Officer!

Lucky Dog Animal Rescue please undergo further training of your staff and/or volunteers so your dog's are not in environments like this one. Work on some better safety methods to protect yourselves, the public and the dogs you are trying to help.

Posted by: Concerned113 | September 14, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Zapatowsky - repeat after me: "What would Woodward do?" thats right, he'd go digging and find out everything there is to know about the officer and supervisor involved in this, put it together, and publish it. you work for a paper with a proud tradition to live up to - go for it!!!!

Posted by: fa123456 | September 15, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Well when a young black male is shot in dc i just hope you have the same critical voice about the police. This incident involved a dog? A pit bull at that...not to make a crude analogy but considering the sterotype of a pitbull and that of young black male in dc and factor in the cops reaction and the result? There you have it a classic case of a cop saying he felt threatened and a credible witness an ex-cop. The usual will result.

Posted by: parkflavanyc | September 15, 2010 3:21 AM | Report abuse

It is incredibly horrifying that police officers are not psychoanalyzed before hiring. I was wrongly accused by police once, and I was not allowed to defend myself at the site. I was arrested. The police report was 90% a lie. After I filed a complaint against the officers, the incident went through an INTERNAL REVIEW--YES, INTERNAL! I was not interviewed. The officers were, of course, found to have acted properly. I did everything I could without suing the department.

For my bench trial, the officers showed up early and they left before I got to court-- their strategy to save face--so the case was dismissed. I won, and I learned a lot including you can't count on police to tell the truth when to do so would put them in bad light. Likewise, "the good ole boy" system is alive and thriving, and internal reviews are programmed to defend the officers.

The question is not why would an officer lie, but, rather, why not?

In this case, the dog was desperately trying to flee the aggressive STRANGER who was on his back and hurting him. I believe if I did this to my own dogs, my dogs would panic and feel threatened by my behavior.

After Parrot was THROWN into the CONCRETE stairwell, where he no doubt was injured, it is not likely that Parrot had the where-with-all to be in an attack mode. It seems to me, since the dog lay at the bottom of the stairs, instead of on the stairs, after being shot, clearly shows the dog was not heading up the stairs. It appears to me, the officer made a quick decision to kill the dog, and his plan of action was to throw him into the stairwell, label him a pit, claim the dog was in an attack mode, and shoot him out of sight of the many witnesses.

Now, of course, the case will be reviewed by "the good ole boy system." And predictively, the officer will be found innocent of any wrong doing. Parrot never had a chance.

Police have become extremely taser-happy. Here was the perfect excuse to taser, if needed. WHERE WAS THE TASER!!! Parrot never had a chance.

"I hate Cop Haters!!!! You all better hope you never need one. Geez!!!!" Posted by: Chazo | September 14, 2010 8:15 AM

Chazo, I gather you are an officer? I remind you, police are employees, not volunteers. They get paid. Their job is to uphold the law, not be legal bullies and killers. There are plenty of great officers. Unfortunately, there are plenty of bad ones too.

Posted by: animal_voices | September 15, 2010 5:28 AM | Report abuse

@concerned113

1st Point: Your point 1 is ignorant, and is beneath a response.

2nd Point: So you place all blame on the owner of Parrot, and no blame on the owner of the poodle? Where is her training. We know the cop lacked training to be able to deal with a 40lb dog. Why should lucky dog rescue keep one of their dogs away from a large pool of potential adopters. This is exactly where the dog should be.

3rd Point: According to all accounts the owner was in control by the time the cop took the dog from him. No he doesnt even need to throw toilet paper at the dog. One hand on the collar and one hand on the scruff of the neck. It us not difficut for some one that is calm and not panicking. Guess this was too tough for the big strong cop, guess we should not trust him to protect up from 200lb men if he can't control a 40lb dog.

4th Point: Let me call the wambulance for you. Although I agree that cops having to work in a crowd is more difficult it is not an excuse to take the easy way out and execute a man's pet in a crowd. The crowd didn't bother him when he discharged his service weapon.

5th Point: Now you are creating threats to make points. What threat did Parrot have on people. He got into a scuffle with another dog, he never attacked a human. It isn't like this was some ravenous dog attacking random people, it was one dog fighting with one other dog.

6th: You just like the cop are now creating threats and just using your tired arguement in point 5. How about confining the dog in a car or room waiting on animal control while they sort out what happened. Again no evidence this dog was going to attack anyone. Dog aggression does not equal human aggression. Sounds like this is beyond your IQ.

Poor job officer! And worse job police department for not providing better training and accountablity.

Great job lucky dog rescue for bringing your dogs to event where they have the best chance to get adopted.

Point 2:

Posted by: MGS75 | September 15, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

♥ «°·.¸.•°° ★ RIP PARROT ★ °°• ·.¸.•°»♥

Posted by: Rubiconski | September 16, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

DC cops have a clear record of killing friendly dogs ask the DC mayor who had both his Labs murdered by them. Wasn't this same officer one that took part in those murders?

DC Officers will taser violent people but they kill innocent dogs.

The owner had control of the dog so what gave the officer the right to snatch the dog from the owner.

The officer targeted Parrot because he wasn't the cute curly haired poodle! I've seen more aggressive poodles and chihuahuas than dogs like Parrot.

And last how many of Parrots legs and bones were broken after being throw 10 feet down into the stairwell? Could the dog even walk? By all eye witness accounts he just stood up and the jerk shot him.

Posted by: blueinmo | September 16, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Dogs like Parrot have be unfairly vilified by society. The whole breed is judged bad because jerks like Michael Vic TRAINED them to be mean.

American Temperament Test Society
Anything above 80% is good!!!!

Dalmatian 81.8%, Husky 86.6%, German Shepard/ cop dog 83.5%, Rotts
82.6%, Mastiff 83.9%, American Pit Bull Terrier 84.3%, American Stafford-shire 83.4%, Stafford-shire Bull Terrier 85.3%, and Boxer 84.3

Now the beloved little dogs..

Miniture Poodle 77.9%
Collie 53.3%, Bichon Frise 79.3%, Corgi 75.4%, Chihuahua 70.3%,
Dachshund 70.2%, Setter 75%, Schnauzer 75.5%, Lhasa Apso 69.2%

I think we can all see that the little ones are far more aggressive than the big ones. Wake up!! Do your research before you judge.

Looks like the dogs who are accused of being dangerous and aggressive have been labeled unfairly.

Posted by: blueinmo | September 16, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

It looks like he is playing "cops and robbers." Putting his knee on the back of that dog, PLEASE. He makes me sick. I am disgusted. I am sick and tired of these cops thinking that they can do whatever they want without any consequence. This is our country and they WORK FOR US, not the other way around. Lets send a clear message that AMERICANS will NOT tolerate their "better than the citizens" behavior...

Posted by: DebbieRdmn0810 | September 16, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey CONCERNED113:

How about the cop use his expensive leather shoes to stop the dog...you are probably a cop or related to one. Well I am close to one as well, and I am not liking what is happening to him. He has changed and has become cynical and mean. He thinks EVERYONE is out to get him and he treats animals with total disdain. He treats kids like they are criminals and talks down to EVERYONE simply because that is now his mentality. It saddens me because he is someone that I no longer understand. Cops are ridiculous and think that they can do and say whatever without any regard for what is fair or just. WE PAY THEIR SALARY. Please when an officer pulls a gun in such a minute instance, its a SHEER AND TOTAL SIGN of insecurity. Nothing more, enough said. If he can't handle a dog, I sure wouldn't want him around people. He just might shoot them for sneezing if he thinks they are being, "aggressive..."

Posted by: DebbieRdmn0810 | September 16, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: blueinmo | September 16, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

1. The report only one alleged bite – that to Officer Fike. The injury is classified as an abrasion and described as scratching on the hand and wrist. Officer Fike declined any medical care resulting from his injury. Many eye witnesses state that Parrot did not bite or even attempt to bite anyone at any point during the police intervention.

2. Aaron Block was not bitten. The police report confirms this as do Aaron’s own statements.

3. According to multiple eye witnesses, Parrot had already been subdued and was being held securely by his foster, Aaron Block, when the police arrived on the scene. Parrot was not “out of control.”

4. Parrot did not charge the officer after being thrown down the concrete stairwell. A witness who was standing on the Brass Doorknob’s porch saw what transpired in the stairwell. He told us that Parrot was stunned from the fall and had only just gotten to his feet when the officer drew his gun and opened fire without provocation.

“There are alot of comments being generated on this tragedy, some factual and some not. What I can add is contradictory to the comment attributed to Jacob Kishter, Commander of the 3rd Police District and reported in the Washington Post today – “once the officer pushed the dog down the stairwell” – is not at all what happened. As seen in the photo showing the officer had control of the dog, he held the top of dog’s head and the skin on his back and walked over to the stairwell railing and THREW the dog from chest height down to the bottom – a height of between 9 and 10 feet. This I saw because I was standing at the doorway of the business where the dog was killed. As I turned away, in 1 – 3 seconds a single shot rang out. I then went out on the platform above the stairwell, and saw the dying dog’s head was nearly on top of the floor drain next to the locked gate at the bottom of the steps FACING away from the steps..”

Descriptions can be found at: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/matt-zapotosky/should-police-have-shot-parrot.html

We’ve set up a blog where people can read about and share their memories of Parrot.

Posted by: blueinmo | September 16, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Let someone throw me down a stairwell and see what happens. I almost went to this festival this weekend, but -- thankfully -- decided to keep my behind home. I can understand the police getting involved in all hell broke loose. However, the gentleman fostering the dog was breaking this situation up. Do you know how many time stuff like this happens at a dog park? While I was at 4-Mile Run yesterday we saw two scuffles in which the owners jumped in and separated the dogs. The police didn't come in and start shooting the place up.

Where is the Humane Society in all this? This is not the first time a dog has been shot by police for no reason in this area.

Posted by: townhousekids | September 16, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

It appears that officer Scott Fike was transferred to MPD's K9 unit in 2002 after being the butt of an anti-gay slur (Officer Fike is openly gay.)

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for the Post to look into whether he was given adequate training in handling dogs (or the correct time and place to discharge a weapon, for that matter.)

Anyone who has been trained to handle a dog can clearly see that the dog in this picture was under control and in a submissive posture and not a threat to anybody. This man has not received adequate training in how to handle unknown dogs. This situation seems to me to be what happens when people who lack competency in a particular field are transferred for political reasons.

Posted by: Brooke527 | September 16, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Actually, given the enormous number of pets that are shot by both on-duty and off-duty cops throughout the country, perhaps it is time to take a good, tough look at the training protocols overall.

It is very, very important to not blindly trust peacekeepers in any situation because of the potential for brutality and abuse of power. This is an ideal time for all of us to start involving ourselves in what should be a transparent process -- after all, their motto is "to SERVE and PROTECT."

I would also submit that a good way to gauge at the relative health of any society is via its treatment of those that depend on its people, i.e. the animals we keep for pets. Any society that allows unnecessary violence of this nature to pass is corroding from the inside out.

Posted by: Brooke527 | September 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

You know what, if that was one of MY pets, then I'd be dead too for telling the jerk to get off my dog before he kills it, I may even push or kick the cop too!

Maybe if a human had died as well SOME-ONE some where would be paying attention to this out of control behavior.

I once thought, if you were shot by a cop, well you had to have been doing something... I NO LONGER HOLD THAT BELIEF.

My father in law is a retired Reno NV cop and in 35 years NEVER used his handgun in the line of duty. Never had to pull it out, and he was also a K-9 cop.

Fricking unbelievable!

Posted by: sdent60 | September 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Again, another cop quick to peel off a few rounds. Now a days with the bad rep pit bulls get its more of shoot on site rather than subdue. From the picture and stories it seems the situation was under control. The dog snapped so that caused him to shoot? Any animal or person will snap when being pinned aginst their will. I had an officer try to shoot my dog, telling me it was a malicious pit bull, nope wrong buddy wrong breed, not even a pit. You can argue for or against pits until you are blue in the face, but sadly the actions of a few pit bulls ruin the lives of future pit bulls.

Posted by: mgatorian1 | September 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

This "officer" is despicable and needs to LOSE HIS JOB. The dog was subdued and was not a threat.This cop, loaded up on testosterone was going to show thing who was boss. PIG! QUIT YOUR JOB. YOU ARE MENACE TO THE POLICE FORCE.

Posted by: concernedcitizen64 | September 16, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

No this cop should not have shot Parrot. This poor fellow did not have a chance again this fool cop. So here we are again, an innocent animal up against another bully cop. These police are just way too gun happy with dogs, they need to be exercising this action for the criminals and illegals but they are afraid of them. Who is going investigate this, the police department, how convenient, in-house protection. I experienced a cop who lives in the neighborhood bully my neighbor who lives across the street. His cop stood in the street screaming at neighbor about him giving him the finger (cop pulled up behind him when he was parking in front of his own house), then he restrains him against his car and calls for backup and 3 police cars gather across the street, creating a spectacle. The neighbor did nothing and the cop was out of line. This cop made a complete fool of himself to those observing his screaming and yelling; his distress almost comical listening to topic of his rant, except it was not funny. It did not take much to see what was really happening. Neighbor humiliated, cop gets away with it.

Posted by: suze1 | September 16, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I am deeply saddened and disgusted by this act of terror. And that is exactly what it is. There was no need to get rough, and certainly no need to shoot the poor animal. That officer obviously has a hot temper and is too quick on the trigger. I strongly suggest that he gets counseling. If he can shoot a dog that snapped at him, what will he do with a human who resists arrest?
Mahatma Ghandi said “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

Posted by: galdra | September 16, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I can say from experience as İ own one of those cute terrorist Terriers İ am sure the problem arose from that side. Mine I call a pyrannah he is the most annoying dog İ have ever had and he is so lucky my other 9 dogs just ignore his rantings. But İ can just say if anyone had grabbed one of my dogs like that idiot did İ would have attacked him; cop or no cop!!! İ used to live in NYC and was attacked twice and İ attacked someone who was abusing a friend. Both attackers were sorry; İ see red at any injustice!!!

Posted by: romadog | September 16, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I have owned dogs for decades. I also legally carry a gun concealed.
I am a rancher and own 7 horses. The dog was obviously under control. Dropping that dog 10 feet was like dropping a human 50 feet. Think about it. The dog does not know police procedure, so he's going to get up. This was just an excuse to pretend to be a man, Real men don't act like this. This was a travesty. This officer should be fired.

Posted by: Kriticalthinker | September 16, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

The next time I get a call to make a donation to any of the Policemen's retirement fund or PBA or anything - I will ask them if they suspended Officer Fike? They call me every few months? From now on - I will say NOT until his gun is retired. OH LET'S PRAY IF HE IS A REAL CANINE OFFICER that his dog gets another partner? Poor dog?

Posted by: azzurra | September 17, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

There is no justifcation for shooting Parrot. It shows the officer has the dog controlled and "if" the dog panicked after and turned to snap, the officer would have still been able to keep him subdued. I don't even see how the dog could really turn to snap at the angle the officer has him.
I am a dog trainer, fenale 5'4 125 lbs. and train alot of large 70lbs. + pit bulls.I can subdue a pit bull just by leash control and not even resort to body force as shown. but the officer using body force shows the dog completely under control so no warrant to throwing the dog and then shooting him.
The officer should have stayed out of the incident and let the foster continue to take care of the situation. He completely overstepped his power! The incident should not go unpunished.
I work extremenly hard to train pit bulls for positive image and when stupid people react wrong and the pit bull is to blame, it sets back all we are trying to do to promote the pit bull positively.

Posted by: DOGGIRL1 | September 17, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@ stinkyliberals....

You think all "bully" breeds should be destroyed?? You are an idiot!!!! For the past 15 years I have owned several "bully" dogs. At present, I am the PROUD owner of an American Staffordshire Terrier that I show in agility. He holds several titles with the North American Dog Agility Council as well as titles with the American Kennel Club, including "Canine Good Citizen". Which, by the way, is a temperment test. We travel around Texas to agility trials all I get is compliments on him. He is the sweetest, calmest, most loyal dog I have ever had, not to mention the smartest. You are quick to blame the "pit bull", my dog has been attacked twice. Once by a Sheltie and once by an Old Engilsh Sheepdog. Both times from behind and both times he just layed down. He did not fight back, he could have reacted and probably won, but he didn't, it is not bred into them. Luckily he was not injured in either incident and he harbors no resentment toward other dogs. If you have never been around this type of dog, you have no idea how incredible these dogs are. I doubt you could even pick a pittie out of a line-up. Most dogs that are labeled as pits are not. To declare that all of these dogs should be put down is insane. What has my dog done to deserve death??? Nothing.... so why should he have to die??

This was not justifiable lethal force. This guy over-reacted. If this dog was under control there was no need to throw him down the stairs and definately no need to shoot him. I have nothing againts cops, I am actually married to one. He even agrees that this was excessive use of force.

Posted by: AmStaffMom | September 17, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Mr Police Man has a nice photo on his Facebook of him proudly showing off his sporting kill. Seems like he's a pro at handling his gun and shooting animals from behind. Just saying, his profile link is all over the place.

Posted by: pitluvs | September 20, 2010 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Just for the record, my post was removed. I guess someone didnt like my racism against small breeds, cause I hear it daily about MY BREED? Or how about the link between police and abuse at home or towards animals? Could have been the fact that Parrot gave a warning bite to that dog, cause if he ment the harm it, the dog wouldnt be here. Nice, real nice.

Posted by: pitluvs | September 20, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I thought that police officers were routinely suspended after firing a gun. Why isn't Fike suspended? I agree that he had other alternatives instead of throwing and killing Parrot. He could have asked his buddies to call animal control or whatever.

I now someone who spent time with Parrot last summer. He was a very friendly dog. Poor Parrot!

PS Does anyone wonder if Fenty had gotten in front of this story, maybe he would have done better in the election?

Posted by: Whazzis | September 20, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone give an update on what is happening? Is this incident still being investigated? I signed the petition sponsored by Lucky Dog Animal Rescue. It just seems that in any altercation between dogs, the pit bull-looking dog always gets blamed -- and if there is a cop around -- loses big. When walking our two pit-mix rescues, we keep them away from most other dogs (except other larger breeds) b/c the smaller dogs always -- ALWAYS-- start trouble, but it's our dogs who get blamed when barking or growling ensues. It's the reality that owners and foster parents of pits and other 'mean' dogs have to deal with and adapt to. WE know these dogs are wonderful, but gun-toting cowboy cops who need to unload some fury will take it out on any pitbull when they can find cause. I hope that cop feels like a real man.

Posted by: threegirls | September 21, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Yay! Another stupid pit bull dead.

Posted by: robertperkins1 | September 21, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

This is a tragic incident, but I have learned an important lesson. If a police officer knocks you off the top of your dog, you should immediately tackle the officer and take whatever assault/interference charge plea you can get to save the dog's life. That's the only chance you have to intervene before the officer tries to kill the dog. Even then the dog's life will still be in jeopardy, but it's your best bet. And you can use this incident above incident in your legal defense.

Posted by: patrick_f_dye | September 21, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

There will be a rally demanding justice for Parrot in front of the Metropolitan Police Department Headquarters in DC TONIGHT starting at 5 p.m.!

Hope lots of people can make it! Let's keep the pressure on!

More info: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=109686685757749&index=1

Posted by: govegan | September 21, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

An idiot took a pit bull that he was fostering to a crowded street festival. He had been fostering the pit bull for LESS THAN MONTH. The pit bull then attacked both other dogs and people.

Because of this idiot's action in bringing the dog to the festival, the dog was killed. Hopefully, someone will press charges against the idiot.

(Note that the idiot is not publically allowing anyone to name him. He is named only as "Aaron" in media accounts, with no verification that even this is his true name.)

Posted by: SarahAnderson1 | September 21, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse