The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 11:54 AM ET, 12/17/2010

Teen charged with pointing gun at officer

By Matt Zapotosky
Matt Zapotosky

Police have arrested a teenager they say pointed a gun at a police officer in Suitland Wednesday, prompting the officer to fire in his direction, authorities said Friday.

Bobby Mondell Jackson, 16, of Suitland, was charged as an adult with first- and second-degree reckless endangerment, first-degree assault, handgun possession and handgun use during a felony, according to the Prince George's County Police.

Jackson was located during a canvass of the area where the incident took place, said Cpl. Henry Tippett, a Prince George's County police spokesman, and he later confessed to his involvement in the incident.

The officer, police said, had provided a detailed description of the suspect.

Police said Wednesday that a man fired shots at an officer after the officer approached him near the Suitland Metro.

The officer, who was investigating a report of a suspicious person, returned fire, but no one was struck, police had said.

Tippett said Friday that the officer involved later said he wasn't sure whether the suspect actually fired. The officer did say the suspect pointed a gun in his direction, Tippett said.

Tippett said he did not know if investigators had recovered the suspect's gun.

The officer, Cpl. Tyrone Savage, a 17-year veteran, has been placed on paid administrative leave, as is normal for police-involved shootings, authorities said.

By Matt Zapotosky  | December 17, 2010; 11:54 AM ET
Categories:  Matt Zapotosky, Pr. George's, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Baby girl born in car on I-270
Next: Pr. William prosecutor arrested

Comments

Bobby is very lucky he did not go the route of Cory D. Joyner....

Posted by: IncredulousAsEver | December 17, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

People are quick to flash guns in this area over the simplest of things. I waited patiently for a pump to open at a gas station just a few weeks ago only to have someone confront me for taking their spot and lifting up their shirt and flashing a gun, then getting back in their Escalade and bouncing.

Posted by: CalmTruth | December 17, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah...police did not show up.

Posted by: CalmTruth | December 17, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, did they let Keith Washinton our of jail?? I guess the guy who did it was just some other PG County cop.

Posted by: wobbleman47 | December 17, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I would never live in a cesspool of garbage known as PG, however I can understand why PG officers have such an itchy trigger finger. If you had to deal with garbage all day long, it would get on my friggin nerve too!

Posted by: farmanimal911 | December 17, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to hear how they have the wrong guy and how he's actually a good kid who has never even had an overdue library book before this incident etc.
Shocking no one has come on to accuse the police of framing him, planting the gun, blah blah blah...

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 17, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for his juvenile record to leak out. That should pop eyes for those who think PG is populated by nothing but innocent teens getting sweated gratuitously by the racist po-lice.

Posted by: IncredulousAsEver | December 17, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Something doesn't sound right with the story, because if you go back in history, when a PG police officer points a gun at you 9 times out of 10 you're going to die right there on the spot. I believe PG officer just shot a young man 7 times last week for just having a gun on him.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | December 17, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

PublicEnemy1,
Also, in that case the article mentioned the serial number was removed from the gun the kid had on him.
Now neither of us was there but I find it difficult to believe the kid had the best intentions even having the weapon on his person. Add to that the serial number being removed and the confrontation with police and there you have a reasonably clear understanding of how things went the way they did.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 17, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

PublicEnemy1,

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 17, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

this kid seems like an idiot... but i'm also skeptical when police change their story. remember the U of Md riot beating? "he charged at us and hit a police officer and horse" yeah, that was a good story until the video surfaced.

Posted by: destewar | December 17, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

PublicEnemy1, "I think you may be mistaken on that one. There was a kid shot 7 times but after he fired on an officer who had been patting him down."

PE1, I'm still worried about the "Taurus automatic with the SN ground off" Incident. It just feels wrong. The "youth" was shot 7 times, several in the back. He got out of a car, had to submit to a frisk (was that legal without a warrant?), then seemed to whirl, draw a Taurus, shoot a round and then start running.

Now if the officer's tunic has powder residue from a fired weapon on it, if the youths fingerprints are on the weapon, if there is residue on his hands from firing a weapon, then God Bless the officer.

But the details as reported leave me with a danged bad feeling. And I don't like criminals and what is happening in WDC helping the thugs.

Posted by: wjc1va | December 17, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!
THIS........was written by a person that calls itsself....'farmanimal'.......LOL, I kid you not.

Posted by: wallacea | December 18, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

The officer should have to take his firearms quals again for missing.....

Posted by: WildBill1 | December 19, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse