U-Md. hall evacuated after small fire
The University of Maryland's Denton Hall had to be evacuated early Thursday morning after some type of charger ignited a fire in a fifth-floor room, authorities said.
A student pulled the fire alarm at about 4:20 a.m., alerting residents to the fire and smoke on the fifth floor, authorities said. By the time firefighters arrived, smoke had filled that floor's hallway on the west side of the building, but the small fire had already been put out, authorities said.
Firefighters ventilated the hall, and students were allowed to re-enter after about 15 minutes, authorities said. The fire is estimated to have caused only about $100 in damage.
Mark Brady, a Prince George's County Fire/EMS spokesman, said some type of "charger" -- like one for a cell phone -- ignited the blaze. He said it was unclear what device the charger was intended for.
One female Denton Hall resident was taken to the hospital for an illness, but it was not immediately clear whether her illness was related to the fire and evacuation, authorities said.