Pr. George's police bring charges in triple murder
That appears to be the extent of the police case against Moises Medina, who was charged last week in connection with a triple homicide outside a Landover Hills strip club in 2003.
According to police charging documents, one witness picked Medina as the shooter from a photo spread that included him and five others. Another witness corroborated that account, the documents say.
The charging documents don't identify either witness and use the vague "he/she" pronoun to mask their genders. Maj. Andrew Ellis, the top spokesman for the Prince George's County Police Department, said that at least one witness "decided to talk after all these years."
Medina is accused of fatally shooting Francisco Javier Ornelas, 30, of the 5600 block of 8th Street in Alexandria, and Noe Ornelas-Cruz, 22, and Robert Roman Jr., 19, both of the 7700 block of Garrison Road in Lanham. The men were involved in an argument outside the Stardust Inn Go-Go Restaurant and Night Club on Annapolis Road on April 8, 2003, police said.
After the argument turned physical, Medina ran to his vehicle, retrieved a handgun and fired several rounds at the victims. At least, that’s what witnesses told police.
The Medina case is similar to another recently closed, years-old homicide in Prince George’s County. Last month, police charged McDonald Abraham III, 25, with first-degree murder and other counts in the death of Stacey Seaton, who was 17 and pregnant when she was shot to death in her Bowie neighborhood in 2005.
The charging documents in that case are based largely on information from three witnesses, none of whom are identified by name or sex, who told police they heard Abraham make incriminating statements. As in the Medina case, the documents do not describe the recovery of a murder weapon or confession.
Commenting on the Medina case, Ellis said detectives might be thinking about what “further evidence they’re likely to obtain” in bringing charges. It is not unheard of for police to charge a suspect hoping for a confession.
Efforts to reach an attorney for Medina, who was already serving a 33-year sentence for a separate homicide conviction in 2004, have been unsuccessful. An attorney who is representing him in post-conviction matters said last week he was not aware of new charges. A woman who claimed to be his sister reached out to the Washington Post via e-mail, but a reporter has been unable to contact her directly to confirm her identity.
In his other homicide case, Medina was convicted of second-degree murder for shooting and fatally wounding 16-year-old Ryan Lee Bradshaw with a shotgun on August 1, 2003 near the intersection of 56th Avenue and Randolph Street in Bladensburg, Ellis said. A dispute between Bradshaw and friends of Medina apparently precipitated that slaying, he said.
November 23, 2009; 4:20 PM ET
Categories: Homicide , Matt Zapotosky , Pr. George's | Tags: Moises Medina, Stardust Inn, triple murder, witnesses
Save & Share: Previous: Smile, you're (stealing) on Candid Camera
Next: Blackwater lawyers reprimanded ... for not double-spacing
Posted by: anon82 | November 23, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: foxxmacpryor | November 23, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.