The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Child in stroller hit in Montgomery

For the second time in three days, a child in a stroller was struck by a vehicle in Montgomery County, officials said Monday afternoon. The child is expected to survive.

About 3:30 p.m., a woman was pushing a stroller near the corner of Sligo Creek Parkway and University Boulevard West, said Capt. Oscar Garcia, a spokesman for the county's Fire and Rescue Service. Inside the stroller was a boy, who is about 3 years old, Garcia said.

The stroller was hit, but the child was not ejected from the stroller, Garcia said.

The woman and child were taken to local medical facilities. Garcia said their injuries appear to be "serious but not life threatening."

The vehicle that hit the stroller stayed on the scene.

On Friday, a 16-month old girl was hit by a SUV while she was inside a stroller in Aspen Hill.

Her condition wasn't immediately available on Monday. An investigation into that incident is continuing, police said.

-- Dan Morse

By Dan Morse  | October 11, 2010; 4:57 PM ET
Categories:  Dan Morse, Montgomery, Traffic Accidents, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 5 die in Baltimore shootings
Next: Boy, 14, hit by police cruiser in Md.

Comments

Sad shame. People please pay attention to the lives you have in your hands! Unless a car jumped a curb, ran thru a red light, or the was hit and became a missle.....I just can't see this happening when the adult pushing the stroller is paying attention to their surroundings.

Can't wait to see the details on this unfortunate accident!

Posted by: Ross65 | October 11, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Way to blame the victim, Ross65. It is not unreasonable to expect that motorists will pay enough attention to their surroundings to slow down when they're approaching a crosswalk with pedestrians (especially pedestrians pushing strollers) in it!

Posted by: walkleftstandright | October 11, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm with ross65 on this. When you have a child in a stroller you do a little more. Just because the light says it is OK to cross, you look and make sure it is really safe.

Obviously, I don't know the details about this case because the WP never gives details. But, too many times I've seen parents with kids in strollers going around as if they have a loaf of bread in the stroller instead of a child.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | October 11, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

The main issue is that for some unconscionable reason, drivers in the DC area don't give pedestrians the right of way. 80% of drivers here should have their licenses revoked.

Posted by: aircardinal | October 12, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

I agree with others.

There is something terrible going on with pedestrians

They seem to think that drivers always see them even if they are in a crosswalk

( hey there are blind spots in cars and if walkers do not engage the driver they should never se in front of a moving 2 ton vehicle.

Pedestrians now just refuse to look and it is all pedestrians people old enough to know better, colleg students, something has to be done to change their behavior crossing th streets.

Posted by: JohnAdams1 | October 12, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't agree. In the first incident that the article metioned, the woman was crossing AGAINST the light with her child. The vehicle had the right of way.

No telling what the case is in this incident, but parents with small children in tow should be more wary and make more of an effort to make eye contact drivers. And it would be a tremendous help is DRIVERS would make more of an effort not to PARK IN CROSSWALKS while waiting for the light to change.

Posted by: changingfaces | October 12, 2010 2:11 AM | Report abuse

No telling what the case is in this incident, but parents with small children in tow should be more wary and make more of an effort to make eye contact drivers. And it would be a tremendous help if DRIVERS would make more of an effort not to PARK IN CROSSWALKS while waiting for the light to change.

Posted by: changingfaces | October 12, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Danged Washington area SUV driving soccer moms. A huge menace to all on the sidewalks and crosswalks.... Yeah, YOU! Put down the cell phone while yer at it.....

Posted by: willtill | October 12, 2010 6:19 AM | Report abuse

My 5-yo and I were almost hit in a crosswalk in Reston a few weeks ago. I was walking her home from school, we were in a 25mph school zone (with flashing lights), and I *know* the woman in the car saw us, as we were 3/4 of the way across when she came barreling through about 5 feet from us. Ironically, we were only about 10 feet from the sign telling drivers that they are required by law to stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk!

Unfortunately, if you are crossing a big street sometimes looking both ways isn't enough, since you can't always clear the road before a new vehicle arrives even if you are walking fast. This woman was speeding, and was not visible when my daughter and I entered the road.

I wish there was something to be done about this kind of thing.

Posted by: floof | October 12, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

What's wrong with the drivers in the DMV? You would think a stroller would cause people to drive more cautiously. But noooooooooo, not here! Babies and slow-moving elders and pregnant women, move out of the frickin' way. DMV drivers are not to be hindered in any way, form, or fashion!

Posted by: forgetthis | October 12, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Pedestrians are routinely treated as a barely tolerated obstacle by the majority of drivers in this area, even when they are legally crossing at a marked crosswalk where - by law - the pedestrian has the right of way. I had to pull a blind woman off the road at one of these crosswalks as she was about to get hit by divers that assumed she could see and figured she would dodge them as need be.

The problem is a combination of near total selfishness on the part of drivers, and a near total lack of enforcement by the police. If I had a dime for every time a car ran a red light with a pedestrian in the crosswalk IN FRONT OF THE POLICE and wasn't pursued - I'd be rich. In fact, I've only seen this law enforced once in the last 10 years!

This, of course, breeds contempt for the rules on the pedestrian side, too. Why should a pedestrian follow the rules by waiting for the light and detouring to a marked crosswalk, when the drivers are routinely breaking the rules and will almost certainly ignore the pedestrian anyway.

In the end you get this wild-west situation where anything you can get away with, goes. When a mistake is made under these conditions the car will universally win the argument.

I do not, however, think it good policy that to put the onus on the pedestrian to be extra-good in order to make up for the drivers lack of consideration. That would be rather like advocating that the weak should always defer to the strong, since they are likely to be the losers of any serious argument...

Posted by: pdqlmnop | October 12, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

You people blaming the pedestrians are CCRRRAAAAAZZZYY! You obviously have never ever been a pedestrian. I drive and I also have to walk after I park the car. I don't step out into the street five feet in front of a moving car, and I don't jaywalk. These vehicles will still skim you and curse you out as they pass 2cm away from you. It doesn't matter if you're in a crosswalk to them. They're psychos! And you people here must be the same psychos who tried to kill me while I was 8 months pregnant and using a crosswalk in the DC jungle. I can't believe you all are defending these aggressive drivers. You people did not receive enough affection and affirmation from your mothers in your childhood. You are exhibiting and defending deranged behavior, and you need help!

Posted by: forgetthis | October 12, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

People need to understand the difference between the U.S. Law and the Law of Physics. U.S. Law grants pedestrians the right of way. The Law of physics say unless you have a bumper strapped to your butt it would be smart to yield to a vehicle. People need to exercise "not so common sense". It may be legal but doesn't mean it is always wise.

Both sides of this argument meant can site incidents when pedestrians cross against the light and vehicles fail to yield but
please use common sense.

Posted by: scootab22 | October 12, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Obviously we don't know all the circumstances here, but I can't tell you how many times I see moms (and nannies) waiting at a cross walk with themselves on the side walk and the stroller OUT IN THE CROSSWALK! It is usually on busy streets when they don't have the walk light. The traffic has the green light and is going at a normal rate of speed and wouldn't be expected to stop for pedestrians (would in fact be dangerous to do so). It never makes sense to me why someone would stick the stroller out in the crosswalk when they obviously wouldn't stick a non-stroller-bound kid out in crosswalk.

Posted by: VAMom3 | October 12, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

You people must have never crossed the street in ANY city in the WORLD...

I learned in grade school to look both ways before I crossed the street. Pedestrians in this area, especially immigrants from Central and South America routinely get hit not because of aggressive drivers, but because they jaywalk...often...at night...

They had to put up tall fences in the median on some area roadways to discourage the practice, but people still find a way to "take shortcuts" as opposed to waking down to a light with a crosswalk and waiting for the light to change.

Once they step out onto the roadway, against the light or not in a crosswalk, they are assuming the risk...

They aren't "victims"...they are continuing what Darwin would have termed "natural selection"...

If someone is hit in a crosswalk, then the driver should be prosecuted...if that is not the case, oh well...should have been faster, smarter, more patient...

Posted by: squatty2 | October 12, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

forgetthis:

Wow, that was deep. No one is defending aggressive drivers. You should be careful about stereotyping "you people."

Not everything is black and white as the picture you paint. It is not all crazy drivers versus the sweet, innocent, law-abiding, pedestrians. There a lot of bad apples on both sides.

No one knows what really happened here or who is at fault. I see pedestrians doing stupid stuff everyday. What, truly, appauls me is the pedestrian with a kid in their care making these same choices. And I see this happen on regular basis.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | October 12, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

squatty2,

I didn't know that automobile drivers were part of some eugenics campaign to exterminate the undesirables.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | October 12, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Pedestrians and bikers do not obey the rules of the road, signs or lights, they take foolish chances just to get to the other side of the street in a hurry, trying to beat the light. Stop blaming it on the drivers albeit they are at fault at times.

Posted by: marbie4me | October 12, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: marbie4me | October 12, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I cannot believe the number of comments on here blaming the victim. Just because a person is jaywalking or crossing the street against the light does NOT make it okay to run them down! Those pedestrians are wrong and in a perfect world they would get tickets for it, just like drivers who block crosswalks, run lights, and turn without looking out for pedestrians. But seriously, is it really that much of an inconvenience to pause for 10 seconds to let someone walk across the street? Let's not forget that driving is a privilege not everyone has, and I know from experience that no matter how cautious you are, you take your life in your hands when walking in the MD suburbs.

Posted by: VDouglass | October 12, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I see this ALL the time, and I am careful in crosswalks. Basically, the walk signal is the same as the turn signal for drivers, so while peds are crossign, drivers are in a mad dash to make a turn. Most of them are not paying attention, usually idiots on cell phones.

Put down the damn cellphone and look where the hell you are driving !!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the victim balming comments, probably from drivers who feel defensive about their own driving skills and cell phone abuse.

Sorry folks, if you think peds are to blame, I have news for you: You are probably the cell-phone-talking roll-thru-stop-sign oblvious idiot drivers we are talking about.

Posted by: info23 | October 12, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

p.s. Clearly people who can't accept the grave responsibility of handling a 5000 lb vehicle going at speed should not be allowed to drive. It's just as dangerous as a firearm.

Posted by: info23 | October 12, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that the signs say stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. It doesn't say try to squeak-by if you think you have the space. STOP. And, when turning right on red, look both ways, not just for on-comnig traffic to the left. Chances are pedestrians are crossing with the light. STOP and LOOK.

Posted by: jckdoors | October 12, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to point out two things:

1) The little boy very fortunately did not suffer life-threatening injuries. Let's all be happy for that.

2) It doesn't say that the driver in this instance has been charged. That may turn into a "yet", but for now--the driver wasn't charged. So there's some question as to who is at fault.

Let's just hope that the little boy continues to be fine, and that the little girl who was injured on Friday improves significantly.

Slowing down on the part of drivers is prudent. So is bicyclists using bike paths. I'm constantly terrified of bicyclists in the roads, if they hit a slick spot and fall they can get seriously hurt. Ditto for motorcyclists. I've buried enough family and friends who proved the maxim, "Motorcyclists = organ donors". Not always due to poor judgment on their parts.

Posted by: Skowronek | October 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What is the police plan to improve awareness and increase complliance by both drivers (most important) and pedestrians. If I remember correctly, Sligo Creek and University is an area where no one is driving under the posted speed limit. Let's put Officer Friendly out there at the morning and evening rush to slow down traffic, look for driving while distracted behavior and check for seat belt use. Handouts for everyone, warnings for many, tickets for the ones who didn't learn consideration for others in school.

Four officers, two hours, twice a day, repeat as necessary, might make a difference.

Posted by: ralphgrutzmacher | October 12, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

People defending both sides have legitimate points. Without knowing the details you cannot know who to blame, hence the pending investigation. When a pedestrian who has the right of way get's hit, it's definitely the drivers fault. If a pedestrian didn't have right of way (i.e. jaywalking, crossing on red) and gets hit, the driver should make every attempt to yield. However in such a scenario the driver may not always be able to stop or avoid the pedestrian. The problem is there are both idiotic pedestrians and moronic drivers. Sometimes both are present. I've been on both sides where car fails to yield when I'm crossing and I've had near misses with pedestrians because they were crossing illegally.

Posted by: crazer | October 12, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"And, when turning right on red, look both ways, not just for on-comnig traffic to the left. Chances are pedestrians are crossing with the light. STOP and LOOK." - jckdoors

Also, pedestrians/cyclists should watch out for cars turning right on green, you are probably in the drivers blind spots and may fail to see you trying to cross.

Posted by: crazer | October 12, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Let me preface this statement by saying that I'm glad the kid is okay. I would like to point out though that from a lot of my experiences even being in stores and malls, I've notice a lot of stroller-pushing parents seem to maneuver those things like a tank. They leap out and almost ram/run over people and things, so if they do this in the confines of a store, I can only imagine what they do walking out on the street! While driving, I've seen people with strollers kinda try to ease the stroller out in hopes that you'll slow down so they can cross! Stupid stuff like that is how events like this happen. The long and short of it is that although drivers need to be vigilant and mindful of the traffic laws and pedestrians, parents/caregivers need to be mindful of the ABC'S and 123's of crossing the street and not just shoving the kid out into harm's way hoping that someone will stop for them!

Posted by: ms_mbacpa | October 12, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

As a driver, I stop for pedestrians in the marked cross walks. However, cars behind me almost rear end me and honk because I stop. I try to make eye contact with the pedestrians and wave them on. I attempt to stop even if they are jaywalking because I don't want to hit anyone especially a child. Pedestrians need to STOP talking on cell phones, ipods, texting, etc. and watch the traffic. I taught my child to cross at the marked cross walks. Also told my child if you get hit outside of the marked cross walk and die you'll be in cold storage because your life insurance policy won't pay and I'll have to raise money. Walkers wear bright colors to be seen and don't JAYWALK.

Posted by: pbell2 | October 12, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Area drivers are becoming more and more hostile turning this place into like of wild wild west. Everywhere you look, very few people obey traffic laws, for example stopping at stop, yielding to traffic when turning etc. Mostly they are on the phone if not texting or engaged in similar activity. Driver attention is everywhere but on the road. On top of this cut down on police budget means less enforcement. Wherever there are more than few lanes to cross it is a treacherous task even for physically capable person let alone a strolled pushing elderly nanny. A number of pedestrian lights dont function (especially in poor neighborhoods) or have bad timing which does not let pedestrian cross the road before light becoming green or without running. One thing to notice is that pedestrians can not always see the cars barreling down the road unless the road is in a straight line or there is good visibilty, for example the FBI fellow and his friend who died in front of White flint metro yesterday could not have seen the speeding car untill it got to them due to bulge in road at Nicholson road which hides incoming traffic. Also there is no heavy punishment for motorists, less than 100 dollars fine and few weeks fo suspended sentece is all they get, so not a lot of motivation to spare a pedestrians life and unfortunately young folks around here only understand teh language of stick.

Posted by: Jim110 | October 12, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Once, in Wheaton, a young woman with a stroller wanted to cross the street in the middle of the block, so she shoved the stroller into the path of my car to make it stop!

She looked me right in the eye as she did this.

Good thing I saw her and already had my foot on the brake, or it would have been a tragedy.

Posted by: pmendez | October 12, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in New York City, and all the little schoolchildren were taught defensive walking. We had to memorize this little song, "Don't cross the street in the middle, in the middle, in the middle of the block!" I think I could probably sing all the lyrics. I can remember waiting with my parents at completely empty intersections, waiting for a green light to cross because my parents didn't want to teach me bad habits. I don't think that today's helicopter parents, for all their hovering over their kids, teach them defensive pedestrian behavior.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | October 12, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse