Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Five elderly group home residents hospitalized for smoke inhalation

Five occupants of a group home in Montgomery County were taken to a hospital Friday morning after an oil furnace malfunctioned in their basement, officials said.

Three of them suffered from smoke inhalation, but all the injuries were considered non-life threatening, said Capt. Oscar Garcia, a spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service.

There were a total of eight occupants inside the home, all elderly, Garcia said. The remaining three were taken to a nearby facility.

Firefighters were called to the home, in the 13400 block of Clifton Road, in Colesville, shortly after 7:30 a.m. A total of 60 firefighters eventually were on the scene. On the way, one of them saw a school bus that had completed its run, and commandeered it, figuring they would need a wheelchair lift, Garcia said.

The group home occupants were placed inside the bus while firefighters controlled the smoke. The home wasn’t badly damaged, Garcia said.

-- Dan Morse

By Washington Post editors  |  February 26, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Dan Morse , Montgomery  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Anger counselor ordered held without bond in gun flap
Next: Convict recaptured after walking out of Md. prison

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company