The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Police seek help in Md. woman's death

Tannessa Taylor had lived a tough life: A mother who died in a car wreck; moving among relatives, from West Virginia to Maryland; mental health struggles; and a turn towards prostitution.

On March 6, Taylor’s partially buried body was found in a shallow grave in woods in northern Montgomery County, just outside Damascus, in the Patuxent River State Park. She was 19 years old.

"She was trying to turn her life around and get out of that lifestyle," Detective Matthew Krest said Monday. "By all accounts she was intelligent. She was very nice."

Stuck on the case, police announced a reward of up to $5,000 Monday for information that leads to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for Taylor's death. They also released pictures of two people they want to speak with about Taylor: Shannon Watkins, 34, and Casey Boone, 20.

Watkins, left, and Boone. (Montgomery Police)

"They were known to be in contact with her around the time of her disappearance," Krest said. "We just believe that these two are going to have some good information for us that can help get our investigation going."

The two are known to frequent Prince George’s County and Alexandria.

Taylor's brother, Keith Carmichael, spoke Monday about his sister who he helped raise, and urged anyone with information to step forward.

"She's a beautiful soul. I know that she wasn't trying to hurt anybody," Carmichael said.

Taylor's grandmother, Dorothy Reemsnyder, said in a statement that her granddaughter suffered from borderline schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. She "hated having this condition," her grandmother said.

Her remains were found by chance, police said, by a man walking by to prepare for an upcoming turkey hunt.

Krest, the detective, said Taylor turned towards prostitution when she was about 16, a common age for that to happen. That she was from a broken home and had mental health issues made her an ideal target for pimps and other prostitutes to lure her in.

"Before they know it, they're in over their heads," Krest said. "You're talking about young, impressionable people."

Krest said he didn't know if prostitution led to Taylor's demise. “It’s certainly possible. It certainly increases her risk,” he said.

Krest said that rumors surfaced that Taylor had given detectives information about suspects involved in a 7-Eleven robbery. Though the rumor was never substantiated, it could have prompted someone to hurt her, police said.

Detectives don't know of any connections Taylor had to the Damascus area, where her body was found. They hope to hear from anyone with any information.

"Sometimes the smallest bit of information that seems very insignificant winds up being that little piece of information that breaks the case," Krest said.

Police urged anyone with information about Taylor or the case to call 240-773-5070. Callers may remain anonymous by calling 240-773-TIPS (8477). Information can also be provided through "Text-A-Tip." Users type "MCPD," plus their tip on their cell phone and then texts it to 274637 (CRIMES).

-- Dan Morse

By Dan Morse  | September 21, 2010; 8:49 AM ET
Categories:  Dan Morse, Montgomery, Unsolved
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DNA links N.Y. rape to Va. inmate
Next: Man, 18, killed near Nationals Park

Comments

How sick to exploit a teen with mental health problems.

Hopefully the economy will strengthen so we can get more poor kids working conventional jobs again instead of operating in the "underground" economies.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | September 21, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

How sick to exploit a teen with mental health problems.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | September 21, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse
*****************************************************************************************************I agree that the exploitation of a teen is sick. However, I add to that the exploitation of anyone is sick, and the economy has little to do with the kind of job(s) people seek, whether conventional or not.

Posted by: jnrentz@aol.com | September 21, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I hate thugs and predators.

I wish Detective Krest, Godspeed on his investigation

Posted by: jnrentz@aol.com | September 21, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

How sick to exploit a teen with mental health problems.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | September 21, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jnrentz@aol.com | September 21, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Has there ever been anyone in that lifestyle that was murdered who was NOT "trying to turn their live around"?

Posted by: MKadyman | September 21, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Flies to rotten flesh, there's always a "brotha" around.

Posted by: skn1 | September 21, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

skin.... and don't for get about a low life meth head

Posted by: msdooby1 | September 21, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

tHIS iS cRAZY aND iM hURT...I Live in the New Carrolton Area...and two Years Ago This Same Female Tanessa Beautiful Young Lady!! Had Rad into my Condo Behind Mt Daughter Scarred Pushing my child inside my home scarring Her...I didnt Know What to think but Act in Defense ....A Stranger Running into my Home! But I had to think she was A female ...Again this Female was Tanessa and She ran into my home Dressed only in a Tshirt Battered and Scared for Her Life...seem she had been in Shock by telling me Part of stories as to why she ended up at my House and It Appeared she was Assulted...If it wasnt for my daughter not opening the apt building door ...she then saved Tanessa from her Abusers we Didnt know her she was just running for Help and to see that she on the Knews Deceased It hurts Because I always wondered about her after the Ambulance took Her Away...cause the police trully didnt seem to care of her level ...they just called her jane dough and was treatn her even worst calln her a run away :( so my cousin and I decided to do our own investigation by Putting together little bits of Info she Provided and she told us her Brother Lived in "King Square" we went askn around Found Him....he seem as though he were already lookn for her and Aware of her not returning....and thats the last I ever heard of her .....:( Im so hurt because She is A beautiful Girl...Along w her Mother Shes In A better Place....Dont Know U Tanessa But Ur W the Angels Rip Mama....please If Anyone Have info so That I may send My condoloences please email me chelseaknight23@yahoo.com............WE gotta Come Together...We Gotta do better than this...WE Need More Unity!!!! so Much of theese Violent Crimes Is Almost Killing The World Just Causing Clutter We All Gotta Do Better Got To God Bless............
Ps: Im sorry if any typos However right now im puzzled as if she was my own it hurts rip mamaz to Family and Brother be strong

Posted by: CHELSEAK | September 23, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse