The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Double shooting at 11th and U streets

Washington Post editors

Update, 2:10 p.m.: D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier has now confirmed that one person is dead in the incident.

She said that as Ashley McRae's funeral was ending, several people began to form a procession. A group of people had gone to a tan sport-utility vehicle when a group of males opened fire, police said. Police believe the vehicle that was fired on left the scene and got two blocks to 11th and U streets before overturning.

One person is the vehicle was dead, but police do not know how that person died. Another was in critical condition, and a third had injuries that were not life-threatening, police said.

One person died in connection with a ccar that overturned at 11th ant U Streets NW, police said. (Katherine Frey/Post)

Update, 2:02 p.m.: Pete Piringer, a spokesman for the D.C. Fire Department, said there is one fatality. But he said he did not know whether the person died of gunshot wounds or from a related or unrelated car wreck. Two other victims were taken to hospitals, he said. Police still have not confirmed a death.

Update, 1:37 p.m.: Police say one of the shooting victims is in critical condition and the other was grazed. But Weaver told reporters at the scene that one man is dead. Police have not confirmed the death.

Update, 1:24 p.m.: Bryan Weaver, an ANC commissioner and activist who works with kids in the neighborhood, told The Post's Mike DeBonis that he was having lunch at Ulah Bistro when he heard gunshots across the street. "It sounded like someone closing the door to the back of a moving trailer," he said.

Weaver said he heard about 10 shots, and then saw a car come onto U Street from an alley. The shooting started near 13th Street and ended near 11th Street.

The scene at 11th and U streets NW, where police say two people were shot in a drive-by attack early Tuesday afternoon. (By Aaron Davis/The Post)

Update, 1:05 p.m.: Ron Moten of Peaceoholics told reporters that the shooting is related to the funeral of Ashley McRae. Police have not confirmed Moten's report, but McRae's funeral was scheduled for today at a church at 13th and U streets.

Police said Ashley McRae was found about 3:30 a.m. last Saturday in a vehicle in the 2700 block of Bruce Place SE. Police said Damon Antonio Sams, 22, of Southeast Washington was arrested and charged with second-degree murder while armed in McRae's death.

Another view from after the shooting. (By Aaron Davis/The Post)

Original Post:: D.C. police are on the scene of a double shooting at 11th and U streets NW, police said. They said the shooting appeared to be a drive-by attack, occurring shortly after noon, after which the assailants fled in a vehicle. The conditions of the victims is not immediately clear.

Witnesses said the shootings led to car accidents in the area. Reporter Aaron Davis said one car was upside down near 11th and U streets, and another appeared to have its top sheared off.

-- Paul Duggan

By Washington Post editors  | September 28, 2010; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  Paul Duggan, The District
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Not guilty plea in Adams Morgan case
Next: Man gets 18 months for assaulting cop

Comments

Oh gawd! This means enduring an impending press conference with Jim "Miss Marple" Graham!

Posted by: lipschitzantwon | September 28, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

this is sad...I'm still young...grew up on the southside of DC...times now will never be as bad as when I was growing up in dc back in the 80's and 90's...but the way it's looking now is the crime is on the rise in the city...I don't know what the police are doing or undercovers are doing but they need to step there game up...like me and anyone that grew up in the jungle pretty much keep our ears to the streets and the way things are sounding it's going ot get bad really soon....we need to reach these youths asap man...these kids are getting lost in the shuffle of all this politics and they need help....I understand our youths dont' take advantage of the help so the city pulls back on the funds but we got to do better than that...we can't pull back on funds anymore....we give billions that has added up to trillions in helping other countrys where the majority don't really like us when we should be putting that effort in our own backyard....in till we help the children ESPECIALLY of the black and latin community or anyone in the ghettos of america there's always going to be tension and anger rising up to desturb the peace...when the American Government takes food out the mouths of it's children and give it to one who spits on it's face then we birth the wicked....

Posted by: BlacKRaiN7 | September 28, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Duggan, how could someone have possibly died from an "unrelated" car wreck? You mean to tell us that there was, just by coincidence, another car accident at the same place at the same time that had nothing to do with the drive-by and the mayhem that ensued?

Posted by: cpantelias | September 28, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------
I see Mr. Moten is still around making comments even though his right hand man Fenty is on his way out the door. If he was really about "peace" he would've stopped the shooting. Shut up, Moe you make an a** of yourself everytime you open your mouth.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | September 28, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

What's all the excitement about????

Posted by: Ruhu | September 28, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have a description of the shooters? What type of vehicle they were in? License plate?

Posted by: InsertNameHere | September 28, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

A reminder that there are far worse things that could happen to this neighborhood than gentrification.

Posted by: Meridian1 | September 28, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought night time was thug time.

Posted by: COOLCHILLY | September 28, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Don't leave us Fenty! Check out the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUi9_QuDHw0

Ron Moten, his funds will run out soon and you will not hear from him after that.

Posted by: Special_One40 | September 28, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

One more gun death. Oh I forget, guns don't kill people, people do. The founding fathers intended for us to shoot each other.

Posted by: samsara15 | September 28, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

And we pay taxes to try to educate these idiot thugs.
This is only one step better than the shooting of last summer over a bracelet.

Posted by: JayneHenritze | September 28, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

feral children are running around again. This is probably why Obama doesn't want to send his kids to a public school

Posted by: barrysmith1 | September 28, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

A conference from Graham, Peaceaholics, gentrification, etc etc etc . . for anyone that knows me in this neighborhood they can see me lingering chatting with the youngins or whomever on the block (key jokers responses now) but honestly this is an issue on community breakdown. Jim doesn't give a D*&$- he is interested in Dog Parks and keeping the "fabric of the community"- basically kissing whomever's A$# he is talking to (black, white, Latino or the person of the moment), Peace-a-what? Please. There are never any advocates in the neighborhood except Sasha Bruce, sometimes and the HIV/AIDS testing bus once a month on 7th street. Youngins have told me their are "bullies" by the Kennedy rec, their are so many issues around end of U street and around Shaw/Howard Metro and like the person mentioned above everyone is focused on the whites. Wellll some of us are broke as h#LL too and just want to live. I am a lover and hater of MPD. I think 3D needs a reality check and needs to spend less time in Ben's and more time on FOOT PATROL. When people call MPD- Please respond. I have called about 3 times and have been left hanging. Even after some crackhead grabbed me. Yet 5D has responded issues. I digress. This just makes me so sad at every aspect of the situation. Politics, Community, Youngins, Violence, and a life LOST! Wellllll. . I have been vocal but now I am about to be become annoying. See you at the ANC meeting tonight. . . and to my ANC commissioner that slammed me in the last meeting--- sit down honey. . . you ain't doing your job.

Posted by: no1snowflake | September 28, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

This shouldn't be happening in NW, west of Georgia Ave.

Other places, that okay, but not in my hood.

Posted by: kenk3 | September 28, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JayneHenritze | September 28, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like more 'thug life' antics.

And how come all those people are standing around the crime scene? Don't they have jobs?

Posted by: damnit79 | September 28, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

So basically Kenk3 you're saying that it's OK to murder people in other neighborhoods but yours?!?!?!? Please!!! You need to get your mind right because there is more crime committed in your neighborhood then you will ever know about. ALL crime in ALL neighborhoods should be frowned upon, not just yours with your ignorant self.

Posted by: CreamyIce6 | September 28, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The gangsters and killers of days gone by were all romanticized by Hollywood while committing senseless acts of violence. They didn't have CNN, 24 hr. news coverage or other forms of instantaneous 'info reporting'.

Imagine if Machine Gun Kelly or Machine Gun Jack McGurn or Baby Face Nelson or John Dillinger were around today...Heinous acts are heinous acts.

Posted by: kahlua87 | September 28, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

kenk3 . . . shouldn't happen in anyone's hood. . . too bad people moan about what shouldn't happen than what we SHOULD be doing . . foolery- straight foolery.

Posted by: no1snowflake | September 28, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

One person said: "It (the sounds of gunshots) sounded like someone closing the door to the back of a moving trailer." Why would someone use that description? It makes no sense to me.

Posted by: rpcv84 | September 28, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

On behalf of all the District's security guards, this event is "Ignorancy is all, just plain Ignorancy." Courtesy of JayneHenritze above. Me be LOLROF.

Posted by: rpcv84 | September 28, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

And now that our schools, the one way these kids have of getting out of this cycle of violence, are getting better Gray is going to fire Michelle Rhee and dump all her reforms as a favor to the Teachers union for their 1 million dollar contribution to his campaign. I guess these kids will have to get really used to poverty and violence.

Posted by: cambel1 | September 28, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

The term feral children does apply to many of DC youth. With feral animals, we neuter them to solve the problem. Maybe we should do that to these kids and their unmarried mothers if they live in gov't subsidized housing.

Posted by: almelbe | September 28, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Please do not get rid of Michele Rhee. After all of the problems with the school system, she is the one person who was keeping it glued together.

Posted by: carol_nash | September 28, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I think it is going to get worse in DC before it gets even remotely better. Kids killing kids over stupidness. Even some of the parents speak the same foolish language so how do you expect their offspring to be any better? Let's see how fast this case get solved since it happened in BROAD DAYLIGHT! waiting......

Posted by: Ross65 | September 28, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The Blacks in this city are out of control!!! Not all of us (yes I am black too). This is sad but this is the culture we live in. If someone calls it what it is and point out that blacks are out of control, they are labeled a racist or what I have been called (an Uncle Tom). Sad Sad Sad....keep me the hell away from the poor blacks in this city who want nothing out of life except a go-go party, tattoos, weaves/wigs and tennis shoes...all of which they can't afford!!!

Posted by: CrimeRiddenDC | September 28, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

As I read the comments from everyone I think to myself. When will people learn? I received a phone call telling me about this shooting. I couldnt believe it. The sad part is. It's a revolving cycle. As humans we want to relatiate when someone murders one of our loved ones. THat has nothing to do with "thuggery" or the lack there of. I mean look at September 11, 2001 when the twin towers were destroyed. we couldnt wait to get back at the people we were told were responsible. We sent troops over to another country and they killed blew up buildings and did a whole bunch of other stuff that because it wasn't done to "american citizens" we felt it was right. Well thats what happened here. Obviously someone did something that upset them young gentlemen in such a way that they felt the need to go and shoot up a funeral. People are quick to place judgement but how is that going to solve the problem? Because if you look 1 or 2 of the culprits up and put them away for the rest of their lives, I can assure you one of their family members will be murdered or their friend or something along that line. Because if revenge can't catch you, it catches whatever or whoever is closest too you that is available at the time. People we need to pull each other in. Do not turn young people away because they dont look like something that you are used too. I am young myself (26) and I can honestly say I teach older people stuff that I learned from younger people everyday. Until then, we will be force to repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

Prayers go out to the Families that were effected from this foolishness

Posted by: SCUBAISTHENAME | September 28, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

cambel1 - and this after Rhee's policies were endorsed by none other than Ophrah, Bill Gates, and President Obama.

Instead of being able to get rid of ineffective teachers, DC parents get mad because she fired a group of them. They hated the power she wielded so they spoke their minds at the ballot box, again at the expense of their dumb ask kids. DC deserves the ineptitude that runs throughout the city.

Posted by: keedrow | September 28, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"Ignorancy"?

Are they sure they want to run Michelle Rhee out of town?

Posted by: ceefer66 | September 28, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

...and look at all the people standing around..I am at work, shouldn't they be too?? This is common in the hood. I can speak on the hood...I live there!!!

Posted by: CrimeRiddenDC | September 28, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post, this is a breaking story and you haven't found a way to update your post in more than two hours? Your spot as the top dog in the DC media market is slipping. And we wonder why the company is having problems.

Posted by: rmJack | September 28, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

@keedrow...Instead of being able to get rid of ineffective teachers, DC parents get mad because she fired a group of them.....

I tend to disagree - teachers are a small part of the problem, it's the parents fault - education begins at home :)

Posted by: BeWitched | September 28, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Its unreal that this type of madness is still happening in a city that was making strides to be better. My heart hurts for all involved. FYI, Michelle Rhee is not the only person on earth that can get and keep DC schools on track. There are other well qualified individuals that can do just as good or better than her at reforming the DC school system.

Posted by: cornhudd | September 28, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

CrimeRiddenDC - It was lunchtime and there were people that had attended the funeral... that's why all those people were outside. Stop judging people.

Posted by: cpugh1 | September 28, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

crazy, I was stopped at the light at 11th and U st. barely more than an hour before this happened this morning. As I'd driven up New Jersey Ave onto Florida and then continuing on to U St. I couldn't help but notice some of the renovations happening through there. Gentrification for sure, but as someone pointed out there could be far worse things happening (like broad daylight drive-by's). I'm just glad I wasn't stuck in the freaking beer truck at the light when this crap went down. I'd have had a heart attack.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 28, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Many of these comments sound ignorant. Let's all remember that this happened after the funeral of a young lady who was senselessly murdered and Columbia Heights was her hood. What a way to commemorate her young life by some idiots who caused further loss of life. As someone who witnessed much of what happened because I work around here and it happened to be lunchtime, I'm surprised more people were not hurt. This was brazen because there was both uniformed and plain-clothes officers on 13th Street near the church.

Posted by: dbgirlmd | September 28, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

LOL@lipschitzantwon

Miss Jim Graham is the media Queen!

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 28, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Huh?

"Many of these comments sound ignorant. Let's all remember that this happened after the funeral of a young lady who was senselessly murdered and Columbia Heights was her hood."

"Her hood"? If you call & view NEIGHBORHOODS that way maybe that is part of the problem.

Are we certain this was not HBO's "The Wire" shooting, so to speak, their new episodes for next season?

Posted by: nickthimmeschearthlinknet | September 28, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I am not shocked by today's violence on U Street, NW. We are truly living in the last days on earth. Violence is taking place all over the earth, in most white, Latino, Asian, Albino, and black countries. Whites fought and killed one another for years in Ireland.

I don't know if people are stress out, but people don't seem to care about their fellow man and woman.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 28, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

rpcv84. . you are awesome!!! I was LMWAO and ROF!!!!!!

Posted by: no1snowflake | September 28, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Look at me, y'all! I'm a tough guy with a gun! Death & prison don't scare me!

Posted by: TaxiDriver | September 28, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Lord, I just seen the dead woman's mother talking on ABC7 NEWS and she is not a good public speaker and she seemed to be drunk. As a black person, I am embarrassed by the behavior of some ghetto uneducated blacks. When whites read about this type of behavior, they think all blacks are "savages". Why would a GOD let these type of things happen on earth? Everybody don't believe in GOD, but if GOD do exist, why don't he destroy the earth?

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 28, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Where is King Fenty? He's another media wh$$re like Miss Jim Graham. King Fenty has been invisible in the media since he lost the Democratic primary.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 28, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

If I have to attend a funeral in DC, I hope they do a FBI background check on all attending and get patted down. After the FBI background check and the pat down go to a destinated area to ride a bus to the funeral. You only going to know where the funeral is going to be held once you get on the bus. The reason why people were standing around because they were attending a funeral. We can solve problem if people start telling and the government start locking up crackhead mothers who are bringing these crazy crackhead babies into the world. You can't blame the child, majority of them are special because of the mothers. CHARGE THEM FOR GIVING CRACK TO A MINOR.

Posted by: f2ish02 | September 28, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I think the world might be better off if all the people in the car that did the shooting wouldn't have survived.

Posted by: cashink2003 | September 28, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Ron Moten and the Peaceaholics have made great strides in taming some of the violence in DC. They can't be on the inside of every situation. Don't be idiotic. More responsible, non-teenage parents need to be present in the homes.

Posted by: Supporter51 | September 28, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

cashink2003...wrath is not up to us...even the death penalty is wrong...there is only one man who handles giving life and taking life without his hands being stained....My anger is enough to say "I hope they fall into the patomac river and get pulled under by the current" lol but naaaaaah...We all need to know that the karma and revenge god has for these young (or older men)is going to be a sad one...so sad, that mercy may be asked....because his wrath is not quick like death penalties and this karma is going to kick them here and into the afterlife...thats a bad way to do you're own life.....more than likely if they get away and continue running the streets believe you me...someone out there on the streets don't like these wreckless kats and will deal with them and when they do I hope those kat understand that karma isn't done yet even in the afterlife lmao....I feel sorry for them smh.

Posted by: BlacKRaiN7 | September 28, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Ditto! I've tried to sign in twice for additional updates since the 2 o'clock hour only to find none. Where is TBD? (And I'm a former TWP employee for crying out loud... I love ya', but where is the news?!)

Posted by: dellBelle | September 28, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Black Rain talking out of both sides of his big mouth.

Posted by: shred11 | September 28, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Just an aside, but what is so difficult (or so expensive) about mounting permanent crime web cameras in places where crimes occur more frequently. Whether U St., Adams Morgan, etc. these now inexpensive devices would have provided critical information about this crime, perpetrators, license plates, vehicles, etc. We can agree it's not possible to have uniformed officers everywhere and all the time, so why not something supplemental such as cameras. They are already used right outside the entrance to public housing complexes.

Posted by: m991 | September 28, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

John Boehner's office just released a statement.

"It's Obama's fault."

Posted by: palmtree2001 | September 28, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: keedrow | September 28, 2010 4:18 PM

AMEN!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | September 28, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

For Christ's sake, what do I have to do to get an actual newspaper article about a huge event that took place seven hours ago??

Posted by: Aaron20011 | September 28, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Classic, just classic simple city stuff.....you can't make it up!

Posted by: SofaKingCool2009 | September 28, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I think its time that Blacks stop blaming other people for what is clearly a black on black problem of epidemic proportions. This is absolutely senseless the guns, the murders, all over stupid, senseless things.... wake up and get an education, get a job, and take care of your family the right way not the THUG way.. and before anyone gets offended, I am a concerned black citizen telling it the way it should be told

Posted by: snobsappeal | September 28, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Shaw, still the getto.

Posted by: Drudge1 | September 28, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

These mentally enslaved, miseducated idiots are acting exactly the way the Willie Lynch Syndrome brainwashing technique intended for them to act. The only way we can stop this type of behavior is by deprogramming these big housers for je-sus, remove the Willie Lynch Syndrome and reindoctrinate them with a pure Afrocentric education.

Posted by: ODDOWL | September 29, 2010 1:59 AM | Report abuse

"This happened: With the scene outside at the corner, I walked into the Rite Aid store - I asked the black security guard inside - what was going on ?( as if I didnt know ) and he says "Ignorancy is all, just plain Ignorancy." LOL"

You are ignorant yourself, at least the "black" security officer has a job...what were you doing at Rite Aid at that time of the day? Why did you run inside of the store? It sounds as if you are trivializing what happened, since you were not affected by the shootings you should have stayed outside instead of running inside the store.

@damnit79, the people "standing around" may or may not have jobs. Many attended a funeral that let out just before the shooting. It seems as if you are insinuating something here. Hmm, the national unemployment rate affects various people.

Posted by: luv1messiah | October 2, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse