The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Murder charge in D.C. woman's death

Washington Post Editors

A 30-year-old Prince George's County woman was charged with murder Wednesday in a fatal stabbing in Southeast Washington, police said.

The suspect, Ramona Gray, of District Heights, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Shemese Grant, 31, of the 1300 block of 28th Street SE, police said.

Grant was found bleeding from a knife wound Tuesday night in the 1700 block of Good Hope Road SE.

Police said Gray was arrested about 10 a.m. Wednesday by D.C. homicide detectives and members of the Capitol Area Regional Fugitive Task Force.

-- Paul Duggan

By Washington Post Editors  |  September 1, 2010; 5:22 PM ET
Categories:  Homicide , Paul Duggan , The District
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vigil for Fairfax girl killed crossing road
Next: Video game thieves zapped: Police

Comments

Sorry to the family of the victom.But this clearly shows how you can not play with people hearts.love is blind and it will take ova your mind..To my lovely sister your still a great person and sorry it had to happen like this.LOVE U SOO MUCH AND IT WILL BE OK.God has his angels looking over you..He knows your heart.To the grant family I pray for your family as well as mines we both took a lost in the situation but remember god forgives and so can we..

Posted by: 2004m08 | September 1, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

As a family member of the deceased, this did not have to happen. Yes, many will suffer as a result of this tradegy. There is a child who will be motherless, however, his family will embrace him. Shemese you will truly be missed and we love you so much. We tap into our spiritual minds and pray for strength.

Posted by: peace1974 | September 1, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Yes you right but there wont be one child thats motherless...It will be four all thanks to a fatherless father..But the god we serve is a good god and he will take care of all four kids..and both family's..lies secrets and pain don't hurt one it hurts all.

Posted by: 2004m08 | September 1, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Hell hath no fury?

Posted by: Calabrese99 | September 2, 2010 4:15 AM | Report abuse

A ghetto tragedy!

Posted by: HotelGuest | September 2, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

What ever the reason was this was not necessary. You say playing with the heart, this is something that is endured on a daily basis. Hearts are broken everyday allday, but you just don't take a life because of it. such ignorant thinking) may good bless the victims family. I think she should never come out throw away the key

Posted by: pridchey2only | September 2, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Yeah you right hell has no fury...and JUDGES have no heaven!!!for GOD is the only one to judge anybody..It's a thing called repent your sins open up your bible..And to the othe one you just plain stupid.Everybody takes things different ways regardless of what you think..but there are lessons in life that need to be learned..everything happens for a reason god knows the season the begging and the end.I didnt say not one time that what she did was right..but things happens all the time some are good and some are not.there is a middle man that could have prevented it all..thats why love is blind.today or tomorrow is not promise to you. SO GET SAVED U WILL KNOW A LITTLE MORE

Posted by: 2004m08 | September 2, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, ignorance is bliss. NO EXCUSES PLEASE. The bottom line is that this is unacceptable. Romona will pay the price. Was it worth it...Hell no. Why did she do it? anger and rage. Of course she will be forgiven but she is already paying the ultimate price living in a small cell for the rest of her life. Who needs that. And for what reason cause she was hurt or angry or both. Women must rethink there anger issues. Maybe she didnt think that Shemese was going to die but she did and now Romona will have that to deal with for the rest of her natural life. Her life will never be the same. If the reasoning is over a man, please explain to me what man is ever worth you taking someone else's life to in return spend the rest of your life confined to a jail cell, with a police record. Society will never truly accept you again unless you do something amazing and even in that situation some will still judge you. Your life is over and for what a man...r u kidding me. Maybe your family will accept you but trust me they will judge you also. If they were fighting over a man. I ask you will this man come to visit Romona in jail, I don't think so and with the overcrowding of DC jail she will probably get shipped to another state. So now she will be isolated and alone because of some loser man. Will this man have the nerve to show up at Shemese's funeral, I dont think so, why would he want to its not his family member. My advice to all the ladies of the world, stop fighting, aruging, trying to sue women to get money (Fantasia) over these loser men. Find you somebody who wants you and is worthy to be with you. If you are arguing with your kids dad as may have been suggessed in another post, if he has moved on you need to move on too.Stop arguing with his new girlfriend or wife just accept the fact that he doesnt want you anymomre and be ok with it. Just like you found this loser. if a loser man is your thing trust and believe it won't be hard to find another/new/next one. They come a dime a dozen. Stop being pressed over men. Work on your own self worth and self esteem. Work on bettering yourself, being all that you can be. In the long run he maybe doing you a favor. Ladies get your life together if you spend more time on making sure that your kids are well educated as well as yourself then you will not have time to be fighting over these loser men. In most cases these loser men are just looking for a good time and if you fall in that category then it will cost you a life full of pain and agony. I just saying...

Posted by: rukiddingme4 | September 2, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

May god bless the grant family, and the gray family i pray for u all

Posted by: 2004m08 | September 2, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

May god bless the grant family, and the gray family i pray for u all

Posted by: 2004m08 | September 2, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

To the family of the murderer, it's really sad. You can go and visit Ramona wherever she may end up. But the Grant family cannot, they have to go to a cemetery and talk to a casket that they can't even see. You know it's amazing how people these days just dont value life, and if Shemese had kids how do they deal with this. If Rsamona has kids what would they think, hopefully they will be raised to know that violence is not the answer, and don't turn out like there mom! What was this over a man or were the two of them involved? I feel no sympathy for Ramona and in jail she needs to get back at her the same thing she dished out to Shemese. RIP Shemese, although I did not know you. If it was self defense maybe I would sympathize, but it doesnt seem like that was the case. The family need to not send her no canteen money, she needs to eat just the crap in jail the they give to criminals like her!!!!!

Posted by: wonluv1hart | September 2, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

To WONLUV1HART.....IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT U TALKING ABOUT U NEED TO MIND UR FU**IN BUSSINESS...AND DONT WISH DEATH ON NO ONE CAUSE IT MIGHT COME TO U FIRST...AND JAIL LIKE PEOPLE WHO TALK ALOT OF BS TO...BUT U KNOW WHAT THATS WHAT FAMILY IS FOR BEING THERE FOR ONE ANOTHER AND WE WILL SUPPORT HER THROUGH IT ALL.. U SAY WHILE SHE SPEND HER LIFE IN JAIL IS THAT WHAT U WANT OR IS WHAT U HOPEING...JUST KNOW THAT SOMETHING LEAD THIS ON AND IT TAKES MORE THEN TWO TO ACT OUT IN AN CONFLICT BUT ONE PERSON JUST GET THE WORST END OF IT ALL...U HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHAT U ASK FOR SOMETIMES CAUSE U DONT KNOW PEOPLE OR THERE BACK ROUND.THEN U DONT REALIZE UNTIL ITS TO LATE..WAS IT OVA A MAN?????/CAUSE HE WAS THERE BUT DID HE STOP IT NO NO NO....AND HE CAME WIT THE VICTOM...WHAT DOES THAT SAY ITS WAY MORE TO THE STORY SO IF U DONT HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE TO SAY DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.TO THE RESPECTFUL PEOPLE IN THE GRANT FAMILY I PRAY WISDON AND PEACE OVA YOUR FAMILY AND THAT THE ANGELS WATCH OVA HER SON.

Posted by: 2004m08 | September 2, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

When it comes to a man women act real STUPID. Get a life and get it together. Sista's stop fighting over men, verbally and especially physically because this is the kind of tradegy you end up with. Circumstances are not important women especially have to educate themselves more because most times they to be there for their kids, how can you explain any of this to the kids. Stop involving yourself with men who probably is not interested in you any more. Its ok. You can find another loser man they are waiting to be picked up, standing in line. No fusses. If you find a good man, keeep him and be peaceful. There is no need for a lot of drama. Well if Romona was stupid enough to deal with a loser man and then he knew what she is about to do then that makes them both losers. Ladies stop dealing with LOSER MEN!!!! Romona made her own bed and now she will have to lie in it, whether you know all of the facts or not. SHE DID IT TO HERSELF, NO ONE MADE HER DO IT. That was ignorant on her part. Don't get mad get an education because it appears that it is NEEDED. Education would allow you to think deeper so that you don't continue to make bad decisions over and over again. No one is being negative. The situation is already that way. Ladies learn from this tragedy and DONT DO ANYTHING THIS STUPID. Love yourself and God will send you the right man to love you back.

Posted by: rukiddingme4 | September 2, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to both families, no matter how many children lives were left to hang in the balance, we must remember that there are 5 motherless children now!.. 2004m08 when you said "U HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHAT U ASK FOR SOMETIMES CAUSE U DONT KNOW PEOPLE OR THERE BACK ROUND." were you suggesting that Romona may have had issues like this before or with her temper? If so how come this wasn't addressed a long time ago?? As her sister whether older or younger, why didn't you reach out to get her the help needed?? I'm just simply asking as a concerned Washingtonian. You also said "this clearly shows how you can not play with people hearts.love is blind and it will take ova your mind", are you suggesting that love made her do this?? You keep talking about the bible however, your definition of what love is differs from what the bible says.. so maybe you should pick up the bible and re-read Corinthians 13 chapter because somewhere along the way you've misinterpreted what was written... When did it become acceptable to sit and watch our relatives self destruct?? Honestly, I don't wish that same fate on her. I pray that she realizes what she has done to her family and the family of the victim and seek the help she needs in order to grow even if she never leaves her cell, she needs to know that she did not create life and it is unacceptable to take it away!! God Bless!!

Posted by: 2verbal2speak | September 2, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Thats right I agree learn from the situation..so this thing wont happen again..and i clearly know what love is and mean from my version and the bible version..never did i say it was the right kind of love and it can take ova your mind if you let it..so read what i say and not into what i say..who said i was referring to my sister???when i said people backrounds for your info I was not!!!!!I am a child of god and dont judge no one its sad all the way around..I was clearly making a point to luv your self before trying to love any one else...and to trust no one but god because you end up in places you never knew you would be..and to the women stop attacking each other and leave the man alone..EVERYONE ONE ELSE GROW UP AND STOP RESPONDING IN NEGATIVE WAYS..HAVE RESPECT FOR THE GRANT FAMILY..LET SHEMESE REST IN PEACE..(HOPE THE ONE WHO IS REALLY RESPONSIBILE FOR THIS GET CAUGHT GOD IS NOT ASLEEP AND U KNOW WHO U R)

Posted by: 2004m08 | September 2, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Hope you didn't take it as me being negative, that was not my intention. It is sad all the way around and unfortunately its even sadder for the for the ppl who will never get the chance to tell their loved one that they love her and the ones who will never be able to hear her voice or see her face again. I know its hard for your family and even harder for the other family. I'm just simply saying there's NO justification for what was done.. I can't judge her but what is wrong, is infact wrong. AND For your info... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RIGHT OR WRONG LOVE.. THERE IS and ALWAYS WILL BE ONLY ONE TYPE OF LOVE!! SHEMESE will definitely rest in peace with or without my response to a Washington Post news reoprt..

Posted by: 2verbal2speak | September 3, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

This is why they need to take those shows off TV. Women are just to emotional. No one is talking about this happen on the side of a brand new community library no where near neither of their residents and that she is being charged with First Degree Premeditated Murder While Armed, which means she planned this. This is beyond sad. Not a native of the area but DC should have capitol punishment..you natives get away with to much crap.

Posted by: bthomas4 | September 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

also, does the kids share the same father? if so even worse...how are they ever going to have a relationship with each other?

Posted by: bthomas4 | September 3, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The Creator 1st

First, to the one saying love is blind, The Creator first commandment says "Thy Shall Not Kill"!! Love is not blind, the people who think they're in "Love" give blind a new definition. Especially when you are watching, stalking, and seeing for yourself that the "Man" don't want you. He was with the woman of his choice. If anyone was to be jumped on, stabbed, or the such, it should have been the one who did the heartbreaking, and not the innocent female who only knew what the heartbreaker was telling her. Oh yeah, God knows your Heart Ramona, and you are now responsible for the sins of the innocent "Angel" who you murdered. Coward you are, why didn't you jump on the man who hurt you?? Shemese (Tink) RIP I remember that you told me about that crazy baby mama mess. So sorry that you lost your life over two losers. 1 who will be in jail for the rest of her life, and the other loser who will be in love again with someone other than you and Ramona. His life will go on while yours and Ramona's are over. So sad, and there are 5 children left without a mother, due to the decisions made by two immature individuals, who don't even care about their own lives. Ramona, I hope that you never see the streets again unless you're looking from the jail cell, or walking to your prisoner tranport vehicle in Handcuffs & Shackles. Loser baby father/boyfriend, get a life and stand up for what is right with this situation. You were man enough to cause such an event, be man enough to speak the truth about the matter and "Help", not obstruct the law. Make sure that Tink gets the justice she deserves. She definitely did not deserve this, and she deserved much better than you. You and Ramona will both reap what you have sown. Love and Miss your spirit Tink RIP

Posted by: KLFBell32 | September 5, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Dear 2004m8:

Please stop using this forum to vent your feelings about this tradegy. You continue to state your position and then send condolences to the family. We are overwhelmed with your condolences and it is our hope that you discontinue the inapproriate rhetoric. All of us, young, old, male, female need to learn from this experience and learn to exhibit respect for each other. It is my hope that Shemese's death will serve as a wake up call to those who feel that they do not have the strenght to make sound decisions and to share with the world that we need to love our fellow man. It is apparent that there are several young people in this forum that do not have a clear appreciation for the value of life, love and relationships---these lessons obviously must be expanded. Until the day I die, the life and death of Shemese Grant will be shared with others. She was a beautiful person in spirit and body and I am confident that my homage to her legacy will be heard through my travels in order to get people to learn love, not hate. Shemese WAS (to some) and IS (to me) love. For those who knew her, she has left us valuable life lessons through her intelligence, wit, savoy, beauty, realness and love of life. I will spread what she represents and hope that all of you will do the same. She is still alive in spirit although her physical shell has been shattered. No one, and I mean no one can kill my baby girl---she definitely lives on and will do so forever. We do not need to read superficial postings that lend themselves to another agenda. What we do need is communication that will uplift those who are troubled to prevent this from happening to anyone ever again. I love my niece and will never allow a criminal act to desecrate her greatness. Stop the madness and stop the self hatred. Learn to love and be easy beacuse all of the envy, jealousy, disrespect and hate is truly destroying us. How many more have to lose for us to win?

Posted by: peace1974 | September 5, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

To peace 1974

Why cant I express how I feel about the post...if others can..And as i did say im sorry, and I am...Just because I'm ramona sister doesn't mean that I'm not sorry...right is right and wrong is wrong,no one deserve to die and especially not by murder..But I'm not going to be ashame of who I am for what my sister is being accused of..or I'm not going to hide my feelings for my sister I love her just like you love your neice..I dont care if my condolences was accepted or not...I sent them and thats all that matters to me..I did as my heart felt to do..besides I dont care what the world think I only care what god thinks and he knows it was the right thing to do..Dont judge me out the crowd cause you dont like who I am..This world is a freedom of speech..and I am going to speak regardless of who likes it and who dont..I dont like a lot of things I hear neither but I deal wit it..I am human and I have a heart as well as others..I hope you understand that and if you dont then you need to try to...cause I am who I say I am....

Posted by: 2004m08 | September 6, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

The Creator 1st

To 2004m08

Correction to my first comment,

Of The Creators first 10 commandments, #6 says "Thy Shall Not Kill"!! I was so upset and busy trying to get a point across that I didn't proof read what I had written. It was right in my mind but I was typing so speedy that I said it correctly in my mind, but failed to type it correctly in my comment. However after reading it a few moments ago, was able to quickly recognize and correct my era. @ 2004m08 you need to correct your era. Right is Right and wrong is wrong, your sister is not just being accused, she commited the crime in the First degree, planned, pre-meditated, ignorant, guilty as charged, and nobody wants your condolences. Especially when you are upholding criminal acts of violence. I pray that Ramona never gets a chance to hurt anyone else. What if the situation were reversed, and Ramona was the one in the Morgue?? What would be your position then? Express your feelings to The Creator, yes, take your feelings to him in prayer. We don't need them on this forum. Prayer and Condolences to Shemese Grants family. @ peace1974 You are right, For those who knew Shemese, she has left us valuable life lessons through her intelligence, wit, savoy, realness and love of life. She was a beautiful person in spirit and body for sure. Shemese (Tink) you are sorely missed. RIP

Posted by: KLFBell32 | September 7, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

You know it's so insulting that you 2004m08 have the nerve to really be apart of this converstion. Then you say "to my lovely sister you are still a great person", who wants to read that at a time like this. Your screwed up sister murdered someone and that's all you can say, nothing is lobvely about what she did, and NO she is not a great person, in case you can't comprehend she is a MURDERER!!! I have never known a great person to murder someone!!! Get a life you need to be in the corner somewhere ashamed to even be apart of a horrible person like RAMONA!!!!! Instead you are speaking and defending her!!! You need to be incarcerated right along with her, just for knowing her!!!!! And keep your repsonse to yourself, cause I don't want to read it, at the end of the day,your sisster (RAMONA) is still a murderer!!!!!

Posted by: wonluv1hart | September 7, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I am simply appalled. I am a relative of a neighbor of Ramona and I have personally witnessesd her rage and uncontrollable behavoir. From witnessing her inability to control and properly oversee her girls (the sherriffs and District Heights police have personally gone to my cousins house because she cold not find her kids after letting them spend the night at a stranger's house) to her coming inside another resident's house and physically assualting that resident and her mother. Where was the family then? Now this. There is no excuse and God will deal with everyone involved from holdng closely Ms. Grants family to exacting His will upon Ms Gray for taking a life. I truly believe she had a mental issue as her rants were those of some extreme highs and lows. (Maybe thats why she never worked and collected government checks) Why wasnt this loving mother with her kids on a week night when her kids were due in school the very next morning instead of running down behind a man? She can no longer threaten and meanace people any longer. RIP Miss Grant.

Posted by: robvjones | September 7, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

To everyone on here i can care less about what you say bout my sister... IM GOING TO KEEP SAYING IT SHE IS A GREAT PERSON AND WILL SAY IT OVA AND OVA AGAIN.....AND THE NEIGHBOR IN HER BUILDING GOT EVERYTHING SHE ASK FOR CAUSE IF SHE MIND HER BUSSINESS IT WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPEN THAT WHAT HAPPEN TO NOISEY PEOPLE...AND AS YAL ASK IF IT WAS MY FAMILY WHAT WOULD I DO FORGIVE THE PERSON...YAL CAN KEEP SAYING WHATEVER YAL WANT JUST REMEMBER SHE DO HAVE HAVE FAMILY AND WE LOVE HER AND GOING TO ALL WAYS BE HERE FOR HER..TO MY LOVELT SISTER I WILL SEE YOU WHEN YOU GET HOME CAUSE YOU WILL BE HOME HUGS AND KISSES...FOR THE ONES WHO KNOW ME WELL THE ONES WHO DON'T CAN GO TO HELL............LIKE IT OR NOT ITS JUST NOT FOR YAL TO COMMENT ITS FOR ME TO..NO ONE IS PERFECT...DONT TRY TO DO SOMETHING TO SOMEONE WHAT YOU DONT WANT THEM TO DO TO YOU..STAY OUT OF HARMS WAY....U REEP WHAT U SOW....LOVE YOU MONA NOW AND FOREVER.....

Posted by: 2004m08 | September 7, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

First of all 2004m08 don't sound stupid u sound stupid if u think that we Ramona family would ever stop loving her, Ramona is and will always be a wonderful loving person , she has a heart of gold , she is human a snap and made a horrible mistake our hearts goes out 2 the Grant family, we are so sorry 4 their lost, but no one knows what really happened, other things lead up 2 this tragedy , u are not Ramona judge & jury she is not a serial killer.she will live with the guilt and reget of her part in this tragedy but the man that put these 2 women 2gether played the biggest part in this tragedy , the kids all 5 of them will suffer the most my heart hurt 4 them but ino with the love of family they will be ok one day time will heal their broken hearts, and god will forgive Ramona we do love her and always we , and we will stand by her. as u would yr love one. we are all sad over this tragedy. so please stop the hate if u don't no what really happened, GOD will never stop loving Ramona and he will never give up on her, and neither will we.

Posted by: my2010 | September 8, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse