The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 2:11 PM ET, 11/30/2010

Police ID girl found in D.C. dumpster

By Paul Duggan
Washington Post Editors

D.C. Police identified the person whose body was found in a trash receptacle in Northwest Washington on Monday as an 17-year-old Prince George's County girl.

The teen, who had been stabbed repeatedly, was identified Tuesday as Ebony Franklin, of the 4600 block of Pistachio Lane in Capitol Heights.

Franklin's death was ruled a homicide by the D.C. medical examiner's office.

Franklin was found in an alley behind the 1000 block of Fairmont Street in Columbia Heights, authorities said.

The discovery was reported to police about 1 p.m.

This item has been updated since it was first published.

By Paul Duggan  | November 30, 2010; 2:11 PM ET
Categories:  Homicide, Paul Duggan, The District, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mortgage loan scheme charges for Va. man
Next: $1M bond for suspect in prof's death

Comments

How incredibly heartbreaking, sad, and outrageous. To Ebony's family, I extend my condolences. To the monster that would do this, I hope you feel the full extent of justice!!

Posted by: PGneedsaccountability | November 30, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

This is so sad. This is someone's child. I hate to say it but I feel it in my bones... Had this been a white 18 year old female found under the same circumstances, it would have made headline news, for days.

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | November 30, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | November 30, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

This is so sad. This is someone's child. I hate to say it but I feel it in my bones... Had this been a white 18 year old female found under the same circumstances, it would have made headline news - print and TV, for days. Is the life of this child any less valuable than those of Chandra Levy or Yeardly Love or Natalee Halloway?

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | November 30, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | November 30, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

So, if the ME can rule this a homicide within one week, why is it taking so long to get a cause of death in the DC9 incident?

Posted by: mjc11 | November 30, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

sorry, one day

Posted by: mjc11 | November 30, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Ebony: may your soul be at peace and your loved ones be comforted. In your name, may we all strive to replace violence with peace, and hate with love.

Posted by: IAmend | November 30, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Poor kid. Hopefully the perp left some DNA or some other tell-tale signs of his/her culpability.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | November 30, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

To OHREALLYNOW: My theory as to why White or Asian teenage girls who fall victim of a homicide get more media exposure than say Hispanic or Black is that you hear or see homicides committed against Blacks and Hispanics almost on a daily basis. It is rare to see or hear about a White or Asian female being killed in a homicide in this area. I don't think it's anything racially motivated. It is a fact that Blacks and Hispanics fall victim of homicides more frequently than Whites and Asians. Sad, but true.

Posted by: Chazo | November 30, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

It's weird, because my boyfriend knew her and he was a student with her at her school. Apparently she got into fights and stuff like that. It's sad. :(

Posted by: rachelolivia2010 | November 30, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse