The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 4:21 PM ET, 03/ 3/2011

Third arrest in '09 Metro bus shooting

By Paul Duggan
Paul Duggan

D.C. police arrested a third suspect this week in the 2009 slaying of 21-year-old George Rawlings, who was gunned down on the steps of a Metro bus two years after his teenage brother was killed in a controversial police shooting.

Rawlings was the brother DeOnte Rawlings, who was 14 when he was killed in 2007 by an off-duty D.C. police officer who was trying to recover a stolen minibike. Federal authorities ruled the shooting justified after an investigation, but DeOnte's death remains the focus of civil litigation by his family.

George Rawlings was fatally shot Nov. 11, 2009, as he was boarding a Metro bus in the 1300 block of H Street NE. A short time earlier, he had been among about 100 mourners at the funeral of Ashton Hunter, 19, also a homicide victim.

Police said that as Rawlings left the funeral, he was followed by three assailants who suspected that he had been involved in Hunter's slaying. The three allegedly opened fire on Rawlings in retaliation as he was getting on the bus.

D.C. police on Wednesday arrested Javoricle Moore, 19, of Southeast Washington and charged him with first-degree murder in Rawlings's death. The other two suspects were arrested in 2009 within days of the shooting.

By Paul Duggan  | March 3, 2011; 4:21 PM ET
Categories:  Homicide, Paul Duggan, Police Shootings, The District
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ex-teacher Ricks admits to new charges
Next: Ohio man swigs beer during traffic stop: Report

Comments

What about Javoricle's twin brother, Popsicle?

Posted by: nudar | March 3, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Do their mothers throw letters up in the air when they're born & make a name out of what lands on the floor?

I'm glad I don't have a name that no one can spell or pronounce.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | March 4, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

TaxiDriver - Do you have a f-king job? You spend most of your day perusing the WaPo for black articles, just so you can leave a disparaging comment. Does putting down black Americans make you feel better about your own pathetic existence? Damn, you're like a dog who hasn't yet gotten its d-k wet. Overzealous and frisky.

Posted by: Insert_Name_Here | March 4, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I just found out that TaxiDriver is a 12 year old kid.

Posted by: Insert_Name_Here | March 4, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Ever been kicked in the javoricles? Its really painful!

Posted by: GP04 | March 4, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Javoricle...I'm pretty sure there was only one of those in any of his classes at school. I'm sure his name avoided a lot of confusion.
Do the parents of these children ever consider the ramifications of the name they're giving a child?

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | March 4, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Yes but did DC Council Chair Kwame Brown get the chrome wheels he wanted for his taxpayer-provided SUV? That's all that matters to DC's 'leadership'.

Posted by: hairguy01 | March 4, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

You bury your brother and going to a funeral of friend or foe. Leave and are killed yourself. Its a lot of death for anyone's life.
When death becomes a planned and expected event its sad indeed.

Posted by: Brian429 | March 4, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Insert Name Here got his widdle feelings hurt. Everybody should forward their comments to him from now on so he can censor them. We don't want any ADULTS crying & getting all upset now do we?
MR. SENSITIVE is in the house, y'all.

I'm a drug dealer & pimp. I got lots of time on my hands. I love the WASH POST!!!
I really do. If I have a baby, I'm gonna name him Washingtonpost.com Jones.

I should only comment on articles involving white people, I guess.
Well, excuuuuuuse me.

Their mothers don't think, that's the problem. They think it's cute or hip or whatever to give them their baby a "special" or "unique" name. It feeds their ego. Especially the immature baby mamas.

OOPS. There I go again. I said something that wasn't nice.

If any 10-year-old girls out there are upset about my comments, I'M SORRY.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | March 4, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

TaxiDriver is an idiot, in what way shape or form does the name of someone else affect you? Yeah, I think it is kind of dumb to give a child a name that will immediately identify the ethnicity of said child in this country and in these times, but if that is what they want to do that is their prerogative and you should shut up about it.

Posted by: jay143619 | March 4, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse