The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Woman dies after Adams Morgan crash

Washington Post editors

One of two women run down last week by an alleged drunken driver in Adams Morgan died Tuesday in a hospital, D.C. police said.

The victim, Julia Bachleitner, 26, was a graduate student at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies. She was from Austria, police said.

She and a fellow student, who also suffered severe injuries, were struck Sept. 8 by a Dodge driven by a Prince George's County woman who, police said, had a blood-alcohol level of nearly twice the legal limit for driving in the District.

Chamica M. Adams, 23, of Mitchellville, was arrested at the scene and charged with aggravated assault and driving while intoxicated. Police said Tuesday that, with Bachleitner's death, new and more serious charges are likely to be filed against Adams by the U.S. attorney's office.

crash scene

Adams Morgan crash scene. (James Calder/http://www.jamescalder.com/galleries)

According to charging documents, Adams was driving a 2007 Dodge Charger south on 18th Street NW about 8:30 p.m. when, while negotiating a turn onto Florida Avenue, she mounted the center island and struck the two women, who were waiting to cross the street. Adams's vehicle hit a small tree, then the front of the Keren Restaurant at 1780 Florida Ave. NW. The restaurant was not occupied at the time.

At a hearing in D.C. Superior Court last week, a judge released Adams from jail, ordered her into a high-intensity supervision program and prohibited her from using alcohol.

Adams is also not allowed to drive while under the court supervision program. Magistrate Judge Diana Harris Epps also added two hours to Adams's curfew, which will last from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. each day, not 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., as is traditional.

Adams had no previous DWI arrests in the area.

This item has been updated since it was first published.

-- Paul Duggan

(This post has been updated from the original.)

By Washington Post editors  |  September 14, 2010; 5:28 PM ET
Categories:  Paul Duggan , The District , Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Officer hits pedestrian in morning crash
Next: Videos released in Loudoun robberies

Comments

I live down the street from where this happened. There are no words to describe how awful this is. I hope this woman is locked up for the rest of her life. Condolences to the family.

Posted by: 17thTNW | September 14, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Condolences to the family and friends of the young lady who lost her life and the surviving young lady of the crash. I'm so saddened to hear this news. Drunk drivers are a menace! When will you drivers who drink get sensible and stop killing and injuring others because you wanted to get high?! Disgusting! Jail time and some type of alcoholism rehab for the driver, I hope. In fact, she should never drive again-- the same punishment many other drunks should receive.

Posted by: shejoy | September 14, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

This part added what?
"...were struck Aug. 18 by a Dodge driven by a Prince George's County woman".

Instead of:
"were struck by Jane Doe ...".

I don't live in PG Co., but often wonder...
Where she was from is of what value?

Jane hit Steve by car, and Steve died at xyz in DC. Journalism 101 versus whatever this is + continues to be.

Posted by: morrisday1 | September 14, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Now, she's a murderer. I hate that the penalty for killing an innocent person will be considered manslaughter. The driver knew she was drunk when she got behind the steering wheel of her car. She should be charged with second degree murder and spend no less than 25 years behind bars. I am an African-American mother who never drove under the influence. My opinion is not racist; it's what I what I follow and preach to my children. I can't imagine how that young lady feels. I never will.

Posted by: skinfreak | September 14, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Terrible, terrible, terrible! Drunks are a scourge. I survived a serious auto accident when I was hit by a drunk driver and I have no sympathy for them at all. So many lives have been ruined by this one fateful, careless act.

Posted by: PepperDr | September 14, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

skinfreak

Who ask you to state your race or if you were racist? Where did that come from? The story is about a drunk driver, not a black drunk driver or a white one or a asian one.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 14, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Mr. Duggan, for not referring to this as an "accident."

Posted by: thruhike | September 14, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I know that intersection very well, and the timing of the walk signs makes it extremely dangerous for pedestrians because they can get trapped on that little cement island where those women were run down.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | September 14, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

What an incredibly sad and tragic story. And now Adams will have a charge of vehicular manslaughter. Hope she now realizes her night on the town drinking has severe consequences.

Posted by: DecafDrinker | September 14, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I know that intersection extremely well. I know that that accident was caused by drunk driving.

Posted by: sugarstreet | September 14, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I am saddened and appalled by this episode, and send condolences to the family. Unfortunately, shejoy is unable to limit her involvement to that, and treats us to a primal scream against "you drivers who drink". She talks about "alcoholism" and "drunks" and "punishment".

Maybe before she comments next time, she'll put her own issues aside and try to stick to the fact pattern presented. Despite shejoy's attempt to transfer her anger onto those who drink and turn them into alcoholics, that's not what this tragic story is about. It's about a woman whose behavior was both negligent and criminal, and which resulted in the death of one promising young person and grievous injury to another.

Having said that, shejoy's pain in extreme, and I hope she seeks the help she needs to deal with it. Transferring it is no substitute for doing one's work.
_________________________________________

Posted by: shejoy | September 14, 2010 5:29 PM

Posted by: stevec3 | September 14, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Manslaughter? I doubt it. Vehicular homicide.

Posted by: chunche | September 14, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

This is so sad. The poor Austrian girl hadn't been in the US more than a few days a drunk driver kills her.

I agree-- vehicular homicide is the right way to go here.

I hope the judge yanks the driver's release the first thing tomorrow morning.

Posted by: Georgetwoner | September 14, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't live in PG Co., but often wonder...
Where she was from is of what value?

Posted by: morrisday1 | September 14, 2010 5:29 PM |

-- It is a subtle method of portraying citizens of PG County in a negative light.

Posted by: LiberallyConservative | September 14, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

MorrisDay1, have you ever taken Journalism 101?
I did...and 102, and 201, and 202, etc.
You provide as much information as you are given, knucklehead.

Does it not change the story if the driver were a diplomat from another country? I guarantee this journalist would have preferred to show the name, address, photo, date of birth, etc., but was probably not given this info by police...for obvious reasons. County of residence is all he got.

Are you sensitive about PG County or something?
Hmmmm.....

Posted by: sjoyce4 | September 14, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HokieDoke | September 14, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Not 50 paces from my front door here in Adams Morgan...It strains the mind to imagine this bright young woman's life being extinguished by a force so violent and a negligence that is beyond morally bankrupt. And yet, I suppose these things happen everyday. Three things must happen here...The prosecutors need to pursue charges that will actually stick and convict. Second, the driver's punishment should invoke a social and emotional prison, whose sentence outlasts the physical one. Most important, I hope this young woman's soul finds peace and her family and friends fill the void with each other in her absence.

Posted by: MrAnon1 | September 15, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

"How is this girl not locked up yet? She's out on "intense supervision"? WTF? How do you know she's not back out driving and drinking? Get her off the streets now. "

Google "Lindsey Lohan ankle-bracelet".

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | September 15, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Not 50 paces from my front door here in Adams Morgan...It strains the mind to imagine this bright young woman's life being extinguished by a force so violent and a negligence that is beyond morally bankrupt. And yet, I suppose these things happen everyday."

Yes, so please change your name to "DramaQueen".

Wasn't the first DUI-related death in DC. Won't be the last.

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | September 15, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully this hootchie mama Chamica will be charged with manslaughter and end up in jail to sell crack and turn tricks. Sucks for the DC taxpayers to fund another low life's incarceration.

Posted by: veloboldie | September 15, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

This news is devastating.

I am a friend of the Bachleitner family and am writing this from Austria.

Julia was an extremely talented young women, bright, very beautiful, witty, spoke several languages, dedicated to social causes.

How can we help her mother (my friend) and her twin sister?

They have both completed their degrees in international politics in Europe and enthusiastic about their studies in the States.

I hope that the Washington authorities are helpful with the necessary paperwork after this tragic incident. UK

Posted by: Carla26 | September 15, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

A little child looks up lovingly to his young mother as she instructs him to write his name. “He’s such a precocious and happy little boy!” the mother says as I looked on with a great big smile on my face. But today, how did all of that change literally overnight.

This sweet little boy is the child of Chamica Adams. The day before this horribly tragic event happened was like any other. Now, that little boy stands to lose his mother because of the very bad decision to drink and drive. She was trying to make it home to tuck him in. She always tucked him in every night. Oh God! Why?

Such a beautiful young woman has died? Another woman is seriously injured. And yet another young woman is on her way to prison. How heartbreaking for every person affected by this sad, sad, sad event!

Posted by: droyster | September 15, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Droyster,
You are correct when you state this situation is very sad for everyone. When I first heard this story, I thought about how Ms. Adams was so young and naive....and I wondered what was her story....what happened to her that night too; but when you tell me she has a young son who she is trying to get home to, to tuck him in, that makes me lose the compassion or concern I had for her. It is a very bad thought that she may go to prison, but she is 23 years old and has been accussed of being "drunk" at 8:30 pm. Please do not use her son, to express the pain that this is causing her family. As a mother of three, she must realize EVERYTHING she does effects that poor, defenseless child. It is her duty to protect and nurture her son, and now she is in a terrible situation, and now she must as a woman and a mother, figure out how to take care of her son and make an ammends for taking a life accidently. It is a sad situation but now I feel sorry for her son, and the two victims.

Posted by: rsimpson4 | September 16, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse