The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 9:17 PM ET, 02/ 7/2011

Police: Erase all signs of GPS in car

By Martin Weil

It's not enough to remove GPS devices from car windshields to prevent theft, Fairfax County police said Monday.

To avoid luring thieves, the mark from the suction cup holding the devices must be erased, they said.

The advice came as they reported four arrests following an investigation of a rash of 2010 GPS thefts. Sometimes, police said, a suction cup mark on a windshield, would lead thieves to break into a vehicle and search for valuables.

Two suspects were each charged with four counts of possession of stolen property with the intent to resell, police said. The GPS thefts were from cars in the Franconia, Burke and Mount Vernon areas in November and December, police said.

By Martin Weil  | February 7, 2011; 9:17 PM ET
 
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fairfax fugitive nabbed in Houston
Next: Woman pulled from under burning car

Comments


Why not give us the names and photos of the suspects? What terrible reporting.

Posted by: kenk33 | February 8, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

This sucs.

Posted by: bs2004 | February 8, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

My GPS was stolen from my car about two years ago and I haven't missed using it once. 95% of the time, I'm going to familiar places, and the remaining 5% I use google map directions or, gasp, I look at a paper road map and figure it out myself.

Get rid of the GPS crutch and think for yourself!

Posted by: matt_s | February 8, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

If it is stolen, you can probably pick it up in front of the local convenience store.
So I heard.

Posted by: edlharris | February 8, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

.... also, if you use Windex and/or a squeegee to remove said suction cup imprint, make sure that you store those items out of sight as well.

GIVE ME A BREAK! The Police and Judges should do their jobs. Most of these thieves are repeat offenders, and if they received the appropriate sentence and NOT probation, crime would diminish.

Stop putting the onus on the victims.

Posted by: Special_One40 | February 8, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"There's a car thief on the loose!
Hide yo' GPS, hide yo' iPod, hide yo' fuzzy dice."

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | February 8, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Why do people steal GPS units? They're not very expensive. Is there some data on them that is helpful to thieves?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 8, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

From a news source that doesn't hide the facts from its readers:

Javier A. Melendez Ferman, 18, Gray Combs, 21, Angel N. Hernandez Molina, 19, and a 17-year-old Springfield youth are all facing charges in connection to the incidents

Posted by: alvint | February 8, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

LLS at FedUpInMoCo!!! A friend gave me one for Christmas and it's still in the box. I use Sprint Navigation just like everyone else and it automatically updates unlike the GPS systems that you have to update manually on your home computer.

Posted by: dcdivacb | February 8, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't want anything in my vehicle that would encourage thieves to break in. Map quest or anything similar works for me when I need directions.

Posted by: CAmira5 | February 8, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company