Md. teen dies after beating

A Capitol Heights teenager died in a hospital Tuesday, apparently from head injuries he suffered when he was beaten outside the Addison Road Metro station three days earlier, according to police and family members.

Christopher W. Moody, 17, who lived with his grandparents in Capitol Heights, was walking home from the station early Saturday morning when he was attacked by a group of males, police said.

He refused to be transported to a hospital, left the hospital when he was taken later by relatives and was not admitted until about 5 a.m., when relatives took him for the second time, police and family members said.

Police said they are searching for suspects and asked anyone with information to call Crime Solvers at 866-411-TIPS.

-- Matt Zapotosky

By Washington Post Editors  |  July 2, 2010; 7:36 AM ET
Categories:  Matt Zapotosky , Pr. George's
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. shooting suspect ordered held
Next: Gas leak after heater vandalized

Comments

Posted by: FiatBooks | July 2, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Someone knows who did this. Speak-up and take bake your neighborhoods.

Posted by: jckdoors | July 2, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Or, you could take BACK your neighborhoods. Either one.

Posted by: jckdoors | July 2, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

there are about three other police depts near there in addition to county police. are all of them that inept that theyre letting that area turn into a war zone again?

Posted by: intellectuallyindependent | July 2, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

you sound like you're getting Columbia Heights and Capital Heights mixed up there "intellectuallyIndependent"...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 2, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VLM0316 | July 2, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

This is my first time hearing about this and I live right around the corner. Sad. I'm sure this wasn't some random incident.

Posted by: lulu202 | July 2, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

@VLM0316

"When will this senseless violence stop? I don't know if PG County will ever be able to rid itself of the stigma of being such a violent and unsafe place to visit or live."

Thanks to the DC trash that has infested PG County's inside-the-Beltway communities.

Because of gentrification, those areas have become DC's de facto affordable housing program.

Posted by: ceefer66 | July 2, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

TO DADRYAN, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHICH HEIGHTS IT IS. SENSELESS VIOLENCE IS SENSLESS VIOLENCE.

Posted by: rlee4033 | July 2, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Senseless violence will stop when proper parenting begins. This component will require the instilling of basic human values to include self-respect, focus on education and accountability. The majority of the children in PG don't have that.

Posted by: jackson641 | July 2, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

That black thugh code stuff is crazy. So he not only refused medical attention, but left the hospital?

Oh well...

Maybe the little thugs who beat him up will get killed this summer as well.

Posted by: BLKManCommonSense | July 2, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

So it will be near a 100 degrees next week, God help us. Looks like the killings have only just begun. This kid was living with his grandparents...he never stood a chance.

Posted by: xfactor211 | July 2, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

These "males" all need to be charged with the same crime-MURDER. I am sick of seeing in the crime reports "group" or 3,4,5 people beating on one person. When these cases go to court they need to try them all at the same time with one lawyer for the whole "group" and have them all be sentenced to the same thing. Save court costs and send the message that this pack mentality won't be tolerated. No differentiating as to which thug dealt the death blow, who was just watching or any of that nonsense. Hold people accountable for running with the wrong people and it will send a message.

Posted by: stopthemadness | July 2, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Must have bled himself out internally. With those type of injuries, you need an IV immediately. But, like most 17 year-olds, he didn't want to hear it.

Posted by: ericroks | July 2, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm weary of the 'you live here so you must be this or act like this' back and forth that happens on this entire site. No group of people has the market on wanting safe neighborhoods, better schools, etc. Race is not a barometer for any of the foolish arguments made here daily.

As for these morons and those that commit these types of crimes, I'm all for public flogging or public hanging. King Hammurabi's Code should be applied here.

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 2, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

This is crazy. its too many young ppl dying/getting killed for dumb reasons. I have friends that knew him and all I can do is pray for his family friends. This summer is going to be crazy! Everybody just be safe man. I know for one I cant lose another friend!! RIP SON

Posted by: Jay38 | July 2, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

My sister was beat 2 years ago at the Benning Road Station by males and females and I still go around there looking for who did it even though it happened 2 years ago. These "pack jumpings" need to stop! I hope I see someone getting jumped, because I'm going to poke(and not with my finger) a few of the chumps, because why do these chumps need to jump on 1 person?

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | July 2, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

"As humans, we have to wonder what makes us behave like this. No other animals behave like this."
+++++++++++

Wolf packs do. And I would not use the word "us".

Posted by: RealityCheckerInEffect | July 2, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

THis is why Metro Police needs to divert its terror war game drills to deal with these domestic insurgents!

Posted by: joebananas1 | July 2, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

This is not unique to DC, capitol heights or America really. history tells of groups jumping/attacking people when they caught strangers or people that were different in their neighborhood. Could be a white neighborhood, a black neighborhood, or ethnic neighborhood. it's all part of a our tribal roots to some degree. And most animals hunt in packs.

The real issue is our society and police forces have always treated this as boys being boys, like it is some petty issue. My father told me of things like this from his day, and I told my kids stories from my day and they tell me what they see now.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 2, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

CRIME, is EVERY WHERE, WE.just have to be Very careful out their!

Posted by: onesugar | July 2, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

i have absolutely no idea why my posts were deleted as I said not one thing that could violate any of the posting terms. I guess if you disagree with someone than you just click report abuse next to their post and the wapo will just delete it. totall lame. I didn't call anyone names, threaten anyone, or do anything other than express my opinion which seems to be okay for everyone else. wapo get some backbone, or actually verify that something has violated posting rules before simply removing it because someone doesn't like it. pathetic.

Posted by: red2million | July 2, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

publicenemy i'd respond to your post, but i guess my opinion isn't welcome here since someone cried about it. from now on any posts i don't like I'll click report abuse and the wapo staff can spend their days deleting posts i don't like or agree with. but i'll give an opinion anyway. news organizations that offer an open forum like this shouldn't be censoring the posts unless they violate the terms of posting. someone at WAPO can explain my violation anytime they want to, because i'm unaware of it.

Posted by: red2million | July 2, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If we really had the right to bear arms the title of the article would've read, "Four dead punks."

Posted by: mossmillennium | July 2, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Christopher Moody is a former student of mine from a middle school in Landover, Maryland. My heart aches for his family right now. I cannot begin to explain how devistating this news is to his family, his former classmates/teachers, his friends, and anyone else that knew him personally. As an educator to loose a student is heart wrenching but being a parent and you loose a child, that feeling is unfathomable. This is a sad sad day and I can only hope and pray that this senseless violence will stop someday. My prays and thoughts are with the family, may God wrap them in his loving arms during this time of tragedy.

Rest in peace Christopher, your family and friends will ALWAYS keep your memory in their hearts.

Posted by: educateddiver | July 3, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

All this violence is ridiculous. It has been a week and I already lost two friends. I personally know Moody and he was the sweetest young man you could ever meet. Yes he liked to have fun like any other teen but he also cared about his family,friends, and the youth in the neighborhood. Anytime you were down he would be there to pick you up, if you ever needed anything he would give it to you if he had it. Seat Pleasant is trully going to miss our friend, our brother.

Posted by: lyriQal | July 4, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

...how long do bad areas stay bad? We are allegedly the capitol of the free world and you have this insanity at your doorstep....

Posted by: wordup1 | July 5, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse