Motorcyclist, 25, killed in Laurel crash

A Burtonsville motorcyclist was killed last week after he ran into a car pulling out of a Laurel shopping center, police said.

The motorcyclist, Nathan Anderson, 25, was traveling north in the 14700 block of Baltimore Avenue when he ran into a Chevrolet Corvette pulling out of the Tower Plaza shopping center on March 25, police said. He was transported to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The driver of the Corvette remained on the scene of the crash, police said.

Any charges in the case would come after the accident reconstruction is complete and the state’s attorney has reviewed the case, police said.

-- Matt Zapotosky

By Matt Zapotosky  |  April 1, 2010; 1:21 PM ET
Categories:  Matt Zapotosky , Pr. George's , Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pr. William police investigating death of Woodbridge four-year-old
Next: Gun that killed Fairfax 'Goth' Dirk Smiler may have fired accidentally, attorney says

Comments

No let me see. This motorcyclist is riding along a major street. A corvette pulls out from a shopping center. And the motorcycle "ran into" the corvette. Sort of like that old line, "really officer, the guy just kept hitting my fist with his face!"

Look, just say it...the Jerk killed another motorcyclist by inattentive driving...bet he was texting or something. I feel bad for the motorcyclist...and your Zap could have been written better.

Posted by: wjc1va | April 1, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

the person driving on the road, in this case Nathan Anderson, has the right of way whether on a motorcycle or driving any other vehicle. therefore, didn't the corvette hit him?

don't want to say anything too bold, but if the deceased was not a black motorcyclist wouldn't you and/or the police be saying that the corvette hit him? i'm just saying....

Posted by: kyledever | April 2, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Really? Seriously? Come on.

Posted by: simplychamere | April 2, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Zapotosky, I think you need to review your facts and right a contraction.

Posted by: ajm90560 | April 2, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

You have gotten your facts wrong. You should reinvestigate and rewrite. The rider was not found at fault with the accident and your facts are totally incorrect. Too bad if you can't trust the news to write the facts then who can you trust.

Posted by: milah | April 2, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

This doesn't sound accurate at all. I hope you were on the scene, if not, this must be rewritten! Who did you interview??!!!

Posted by: nw20101 | April 2, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Please get your facts straight! How does a cyclist run into a car making a LEFT TURN at a blinking light!

Posted by: bestbigbro | April 2, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Now that I've signed in, I am trying to understand what was just said and respond in a manor respecting my brother and friend Nathan Anderson.

Matt Zapotosky, how insensitive of you to write such a story with disregard to his family and friends. I concur "AJM90560," Zapotosky please review your facts and write a contraction. Why would anyone want to run into a vehicle, a moving vehicle at that. "KyleDever," you have a right to ask, is this now becoming a race thing, I hope not.

Sleep In Peace Nate!

JMA

Posted by: jeremymarcanthony | April 2, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I noticed that there was no source in this post. Does this mean you were there at the scene and are speaking from what you saw as an eyewitness?
The young man whose full name you decided to disclose (but yet you failed to insert a source for your "facts") was a very safe motorcyclist and it doesn't seem likely that a motorcyclist, riding on a major road, would run into a vehicle.
This young man was a talented, God fearing, respectful and charismatic young man, who does not deserve this short, unfounded (according to your lack of a source) writeup.
There were eyewitnesses. You probably were not one of them. Therefore out of respect for his family and those experiencing the loss, a retraction of this article would be appropriate. Thank you and God bless.

Posted by: ava4 | April 2, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I am very disappointed in the Washington Post, because this brief report does not state all the facts. It is extremely insensitive to the family and friends of Nathan, and there are MANY. Nathan touched so many lives in his short 25 years because he was an amazing young man, full of integrity and good values. Anyone who crossed paths with him was BLESSED to have known him. The least he deserves is that the full and accurate story be told of how he unfortunately lost his life last week.

Posted by: simonejustine08 | April 2, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Um....Mr. Zapotosky. Your "article" was ABSOLUTELY insensitive to the family and friends who lost what you have portrayed as a "wreckless,irresponsible motocyclist". FIRST of all, LIEUTENANT Anderson was an experienced cyclist completing pre-med courses to become a doctor. He was goal oriented, determined, educated, GODLY, family oriented,MUSICALLY GIFTED, respectable, man whose life was taken tragically. He was NEVER in trouble with the law,Please consider how you would want this to be written if it were a member of your own family or a close friend of your family when you write callous and accusatory "articles" of lives lost. Ensure you have your facts correct in reporting such news. THANKS!

Posted by: jannabanana | April 2, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

As usual the media (in this case Matt Zapotosky) has FAILED to accurately convey facts with even a modicum of respect or insight. How does a motorcycle "run into a car" that, by YOUR OWN ADMISSION was PULLING OUT of a shopping center?!!!

Not only is this a false representation of what happened, but it also shows no respect to the family of a young man who was killed. You may as well have written an article saying that a child riding a bicycle was killed after they "ran into" a car that was backing out of a driveway. In that case AND this one, the child and rider of the motorcycle have the right of way! That's just basic and you owe a deceased young man and his family a profound apology.

Ridiculous.

Posted by: Level1Cache | April 2, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Also, is there a reason that the full name of the driver of the corvette was not included in your writeup?

Posted by: ava4 | April 2, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know Nathan Anderson but my son Johnathan Wynn did. He rode his motorcycle with Nathan and spoke how careful he was. He also spoke of how Nathan wore all the gear necessary to avoid something like this. I've always been taught to speak only about something I know about and I am an insurance adjuster. Mr. Zapostky, under any states law, the driver pulling out of the parking lot is 100% at fault. This isn't even comparative negligence. Nathan had the right of way and the other driver shouldn't have pulled out until all traffic was clear. Not only did he fail to yield, he failed to use proper lookout management and control. What's even worse it resulted in a death. Your article was written as if Nathan hit an innocent driver. In fact, the other driver pulled out into the path of Nathan causing the collision.

Posted by: Jsingerso1 | April 2, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky,

As Nate's roommate in college, i know first hand knowledge that Nate was an avid reader of the Post EVERYDAY, and he would be highly disappointed in this article. Please I urge to please search for the facts. I love this newspaper but i love my Brother more, so please honor this Patriot, Pilot, Musician, Friend, Brother and Son, honor him correctly. We as a family will be watching to make sure this is corrected. Thank you.

Jonathan A. Johnson

Posted by: Fabj11 | April 2, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Read my name carefully...

As a writer, I am baffled at how you might have obtained - and retained, for that matter - job as a journalist. It is quite possible you have made a mistake in your rush to get a story inked.

However, that does not excuse this poorly written piece. I urge you to take the time to seriously look into this story. Though it may be insignificant to you, this tragedy has touched thousands of people - and I am not being an exaggerator, just check Facebook or PraizVision.com to confirm.

re: race, I pray that this is not a racially tainted move on your part, sir. But if you indeed are feeding into the unsubstantiated and too often abused "every young black male on a bike must be an uncivilized and unruly, no good thug" stereotype, I invite you to get to know who Nathan Anderson was and the gentlemen he rode with. I do believe you will be pleasantly surprised...and hopefully, changed.

Peace and blessings...

Posted by: WeWantTheTruthAboutNate | April 2, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

A RETRACTION IS NEEDED!!!!! I agree with AVA4, whats the reason for not naming the driver?

Posted by: jannabanana | April 2, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Well this story is very very insensitive to the family of the Motorcyclist that did get Killed. Why are you making it sound like the driver of the corvette had the right of way when Nathan apparently was on the main street how does he run into someone pulling out of a mall have the right of way. My goodness what a story.

Posted by: Rae6476 | April 2, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Once again the Washington Post has proved why it is an inferior news reporting source by allowing this writer, Matt Zaapotosky to write such a grossly incorrect article. The facts are WRONG! Who is the driver of the Corvette again? We publish the names of the deceased but the name of the person who was WRONG is left out? I am looking forward to a written apology to the Anderson family and a retraction of this story. Who was your source? Where did you get your facts? Did you speak to THE witness in this story? Did you speak to the first persons on the scene? What kind of irresponsible "news" company is this that has no oversight of writing articles without ensuring the facts are correct or sensitively written and posted?

If you even reviewed your article prior to posting it, you would have laughed at yourself at the facts stated because they make no sense. Apology to the family and a retraction, immediately! Now, I will contact your boss.

Posted by: jayanap | April 2, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky I am absolutely incensed that you would claim something so preposterous in this article. It is deeply disturbing to me that you seemingly put little thought into your writing.
If the police tell you that a motorcyclist ran into a car, fine. But when you follow up with the fact the motorcyclist was on the main thoroughfare, which implies the right of way at the time of impact, I am wondering how you then are able to send an article to your editor supporting an unnamed officer's claim that the motorcyclist ran into the car.
"Nathan Anderson, 25, was ran into by the driver of a Chevrolet Corvette pulling out of the Tower Plaza shopping center in Laurel on March 25. The driver remained on the scene."
That is what you should have submitted to your editor. In the future I hope you will put a little more logical thinking into your articles.
Nathan was my friend and a beautiful person and I really wish you had known him Mr. Zapotosky.

Posted by: tazsmart | April 2, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Please take a look at this because the Nathan in your article is not the Nathan we know!!!!

Posted by: nw20101 | April 2, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

My cousin, Lt. Nathan Anderson was a fine gentleman. I believe that you have misrepresented him in your piece. Please review the police report and get the true facts about the case. Your article has caused pain to his family and friends. They deserve a written apology and retraction from him. You should consider being a more sensitive wrtier and remember that real PEOPLE read your work.

Posted by: nelso1md | April 2, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky, you may want to reconsider writing articles in the future when using such disregard and insensitivity towards the victim of a crash. There is certainly more to the story than you have posted here and you should be ashamed of failing to really cover the story to its entirety, especially to publish this on the day of the young man's funeral. You certainly had more time to research this crash as his funeral was a week after the crash.

How would you write the story if it were a bicyclist? Or a pedestrian? "A pedestrian was killed after he ran into the stree towards oncoming traffic as a vehicle pullout out of a shopping center."

Show less bias the next time you write an article.

Posted by: Ron_Man | April 2, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I am ashamed and appalled that such an established Media Outlet would allow this trash to become public. Nathan had the right of way. He was obeying the traffic signals AND CONSEQUENTLY the Cheverolet that "the motorcyclist ran into" was blatantly disobeying signals. Thankfully there was a witness, who in time will be able to say precisely what happened.

This is a crude and inaccurate presentation of what happened and our hearts are still sore from the tragedy. This reporter should be suspended and a write-up of the correct story in a more appropriate and compassionate way be presented.

This will not be my last complaint pertaining to this article and the next step will be calling The Washington Post and having a nice word with the Editor.

We are not so concerned with taking justice into our hands but we are concerned with Nate being portrayed as the upstanding citizen he was and that no misleading story OBSTRUCT the course of justice.

Thank you.

Posted by: ellegward | April 2, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I am not here to be rude or disrespectful Mr. Zapotosky! I just believe that your post seems to be a little bias! If only you knew or had to opportunity to be greeted by our friend Nathan! I don't understand how you could say that Nathan "ran into a car" and then say "Any charges in the case would come after the accident reconstruction is complete and the state’s attorney has reviewed the case". This means that YOU don't know who was at fault in this situation! It would have been more respectful to Nathan's family to say that he was "involved in a collision and any charges in the case would come after...." This article has really hurt hearts on top of being separated from our beloved Nathan. I pray that you revise and republish this article!

Posted by: praiseGod | April 2, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Tisk, tisk, tisk....

Mr. Zapotosky, I'm sure your professors in journalism school (or any school) would NOT be proud to call you a student of theirs based on this false, insensitive, inconsiderate, INADEQUATELY SOURCED, lackluster write-up...I can't even call this an article. There were eyewitnesses to this horrific accident and I am pretty sure that they would tell me that YOU WERE NOT ONE OF THEM!

Lieutenant Nathan L. Anderson was a highly respected young man worldwide. He was an internationally acclaimed musician, experienced pilot, computer analyst for the U.S. government, and VERY SAFE motorcyclist. He was a brother of two beautiful and amazingly talented sisters, and the son of two highly respected & loved parents. Nathan loved the Lord with all his heart & soul and respected the law & it's civilians. Never, would Nathan put someone's life in jeopardy...never would Nathan put his own life in jeopardy, as he loved his family and friends very much. Thus, your awful review on what happened on the night of March 25, 2010 needs to be retracted AND I advise that you, Mr. Zapotosky, do not try to revise the damage you've already done.
What a disappointment you are to journalists in this country...and potentially worldwide.

Rest in Peace, Nathan...you will always be remembered. See you in the Kingdom.

MDH

Posted by: Mack38 | April 2, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Matt Zapotosky,

Sometimes in life our actions unknowlingly can cause a ripple effect. This effect can either be positive or negative. Please review this article and give due respect to the family and friends of Nate.

Posted by: freestyle_56 | April 2, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

This article needs to be retracted immediately. Not only is the information wrong, it's extremely insensitive to the family of Mr. Nathan Anderson. Get it right, or don't get it at all!!!!!

Posted by: nicolefils | April 2, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Blog Moderator,

I'm wondering why the post I submitted TWICE as family of the deceased has not been posted on the site. Please respond to me with an explanation as I was not using profanity, personal attacks, inappropriate comments or material. My email address is dandria.anderson@gmail.com

Posted by: dandriaanderson | April 2, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky,

I will not attack your credentials or bona fides as a journalist. I don’t know you and I will assume that you were merely doing your job. However, I hope these comments of disappointment and outrage remind you how important your words are. I am sure that you are a staff writer for the Post who was simply summarizing a report about an accident from last week. However, it is clear to many that your story is inherently contradictory. You state that Nathan ran into a Corvette pulling out of a shopping center, which would imply that he (Nathan) had the right of way. However, you later state that an accident reconstruction would occur along with a review of the case by the state attorney. Doesn’t this suggest that the driver of the Corvette, and not the motorcyclist was at fault?
I hope this is a wake up call for you—reminding you that even the smallest story you write affects real people, and that accuracy in your reporting and writing should be of upmost importance.

Regards,
L. Archer

Posted by: lillypooh | April 2, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I am very disappointed reading this article today, because if the journalist in this case had reported the facts as given we would not have this problem today. Nate was a man of God and to suggest that by his actions he was anything but, is grossly offensive. We aren't all saying this because Nate is gone, we are saying it because he was ALIVE and we ALL knew who he was and what he stood for! And to portray him in this manner, which is highly inaccurate is very upsetting to the family and to everyone who knew him. I hope the Washington Post takes responsibilities for its writers and the information that it prints, ensuring its accuracy of the story and the people involved. In this case a retraction is the least the WP can do. God bless us all as we remember Nathan in the most accurate way that we can which speaks nothing less of the God fearing man that we all knew and loved.

Posted by: tallgirl27 | April 2, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky,

I think you failed in your duty as a journalist to gather all of the accurate details pertaining to this accident. Your astonishingly brief synopsis of this tragedy, curt conclusion of fault, and callous concern for any family/friends who may have stumbled across your article is shameful! Perhaps, prior to drawing conclusions, you should have made effort to contact the other motorcyclist who was riding alongside Nathan at the time of the accident as opposed to speaking only with the police who arrived AFTER the incident took place. Perhaps, you should have been a bit more sensitive to those who knew and loved him and gathered more details about what happened before, during, and after the accident.

Your job as a journalist is to present all of the facts. You mentioned the driver many times, did you seek him out to find out if that was truly the case, that Nathan ran into his vehicle? If so, what about his bias? Not wanting to be blamed for taking the life of someone who had the right of way in this situation. I wasn't there, but I know the story because I happen to be family of the deceased and the second motorcyclist.

I understand that you aren't as passionate about obtaining and presenting accurate information as I am, because you didn't know Nathan like I do. To you, it may just have been an assignment to submit a write-up of a fatal accident in the area. I find it disappointing that you chose not to go the extra mile to make this into an informative piece. Something that could be used to educate drivers about the dangers of being inattentive for any reason while driving. This could have been a piece that was used to make drivers more aware of motorcyclists and to encourage them to look twice for bikes. This could have been an opportunity for you to put a face and a life to the name you simply mentioned and concluded to be the at fault, and seemingly irresponsible party.

I as a reader, a family member, and a regular person am disappointed by your lack of interest in your job. Perhaps next time you will put a little more time and effort into your work and the things that bear your name.

Posted by: dandriaanderson | April 2, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Since you neglected to put a life and a face to the name mentioned above let me tell you a little bit about Nathan. Maybe then, you will acknowledge the disservice you gave him in your article. Lt. Nathan L. Anderson of the Public Health Service was a gifted and talented man. Young and vibrant, he enjoyed running marathons, flying air planes, and riding his motor cycle. He was also a gifted musician and a genuinely kind man. He had a knack for making everyone he interacted with feel special. His last act prior to his death, was one of care and concern for a young man who recently enlisted in the military and was leaving for boot camp. He was out that night to encourage someone to follow their goals and dreams, and to educate them about how best to make it through the experience. And that is just a snap-shot of his character. I could be here all day telling you about Nathan, but from the lack of interest you showed in your writing, I doubt you would like to hear about him.

I think you should write a contraction and an apology to those who knew and loved him. Maybe you should look into writing about his memorial and funeral services that over 1600 people tuned in online to watch. One that was well attended by friends, family, and coworkers from all over the U.S., and Bermuda. Perhaps, you should watch a few minutes of his funeral service on http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/5875875 to see how much of a disservice you did to his memory with this curt write up of the night that ended his life. I am asking that you please take a moment to just watch some of it.

It is not my intention to berate you, but rather to firmly call attention to your lack of interest in your assignment. If it does not cause you to write a contraction or apology to the family for your printed misinformation, I hope it will encourage you to do a better and more thorough job in the future.

D'Andria. D. Anderson
Cousin of Nathan Anderson

Posted by: dandriaanderson | April 2, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky,

I am disappointed to read your article regarding my friend Nathan Anderson. I am disappointed in your lack of factual information and your failed efforts in obtaining correct information from individuals who had first hand experience. In addition, I do not appreciate your tone or word choice used in your brief explaination of this incident. The young man who was killed in the car accident was not just another "rider" or "black man". He was a humble, talented and intelligent musician, great friend, mentor, athlete, pilot, student and inspiration to thousands of people. Not to mention he was a child of God and a lt. in the United States Public Health Service, soon on his way to becoming a medical doctor. Your insensitivity shows your disinterest in this case and possibly other cases you have written about. I ask that you submit an apology and retraction of this article to the family and friends of Nathan L. Anderson.

Posted by: jaselmccoy | April 2, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, Mr. Zapotosky...

I must agree with some of these comments. You could've done a bit better with this report/article. I'm sure you didn't intend to lack the sensitivity, but even in spite of what "police said," your word choices should have been given some further thought besides implicating the cyclist (Nathan Anderson) as the one at fault. These things happen and I'm sure the Corvette driver wasn't intentionally reckless, but please maintain some integrity and some objectivity when you recount such events. Clearly, you've offended a slew of people who knew Nathan.

Posted by: MilliMike | April 2, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I had a couple of spelling errors earlier, just though I'd revise:

How would you write the story if it were a bicyclist? Or a pedestrian? "A pedestrian was killed after he ran into the street towards oncoming traffic as a vehicle pulled out out of a shopping center."

Show less bias the next time you write an article.

Posted by: Ron_Man | April 2, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight...

We have a first vehicle in motion, traveling in a northbound direction. Having the right of way, this first vehicle continues along its present path.

Next we have a second vehicle, not in motion, entering the scene by “pull-ING out” into traffic, which... if I remember correctly from my Drivers Education in high school, does not have the right of way.

Based simply on these facts, the second vehicle has cut off the first vehicle already in motion... And the Washington Post states that the “[first vehicle]…ran into [the second vehicle] pulling out of a Laurel shopping center”? Not so.

This reasoning suggests the driver of the first vehicle (having the right of way) should have stopped traffic, to get hit from the rear, to allow the second vehicle to pull out… disregarding the most basic laws of traffic… Nonsense!

No… The second vehicle pulled into oncoming traffic without sound judgment for any number of reasons (i.e. cell phone, didn’t look, etc.) when he or she should have waited for the light (i.e. right of way) or a clearing in the traffic.

Please do not be partial and SPIN the facts to attribute the negligence to the victim who is no longer able to defend himself (i.e. by saying the victim “RAN into [the] car pulling out…”). That is unacceptable and a clear misrepresentation of the presented facts. This account contradicts the facts presented in this report and adds insult to injury!

Please at least show the victim’s family and friends that respect.

Try This: The motorcyclist, Nathan Anderson, was killed after being CUT OFF by a car PULLING OUT of a Laurel shopping center into traffic.

Posted by: GrayBetweenTheLines | April 2, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

This succinct column is full of inaccuracies regarding this tragic accident. As you can see many have read it and take issue with your subtle, yet clear, bias. Even though the consequence of this accident has been indicated in your column its hurtful effects on the family and community is palpable. Please do not be careless with truth and write a more accurate description of the events.

Posted by: 35trojan | April 2, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

It is important that when sharing information with the public one sites the source, ensures that what has been written is a fact, and verifies their sources before publication. Doing this saves for a rebuttal, wasted time, embarrassment and apology. Weather your next entry is a food column, murder case follow up, or the correction of this article, I encourage you, Mr. Matt Zapotosky (and Editor) to use a fine tooth comb in dong so.

My suggestion is that you contact eye-witnesses (people that have been documented in the police report as actually being at the scene at the time of the crash). In so doing you are then able to site your source from that counties Police report. Therefore it is not an opinion of yourself and you are then able to properly site the source form a legal document.

Thank you for reading this and the other comments that others have written.
-N.D. Smith

Posted by: velly03 | April 2, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapatosky,

I am writing conerning the article about the motorcyle accident. The article is very brief and inaccurate. What source was used to obtain the information that you wrote about? And just out of curiosity, why is it that the name of the driver of the Corvette was not mentioned? The tone of the article conveys that Nathan was being careless. I believe once you have reviewed the facts, that you will find that this was not the case. Out of respect to the family, friends and those who loved Nathan Anderson, we request that you retract and rewrite this article. Thank you.

H.M. Spears

Posted by: hm_spears | April 2, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky-

A more detailed and factual article is needed. Though you may have written this in haste, Mr. Nathan L. Anderson, whose funeral yesterday was viewed by over 3000 people and whose life postively influenced even more, deserves your time, your investigative research, your sensitivity, and the truth.

Posted by: DrNichole | April 2, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fowlergm | April 2, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Your article should read........A Burtonsville motorcyclist was killed last week when a corvette pulled out in front of him................leaving the motorcyclist no time to respond......

Posted by: fowlergm | April 2, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Sir, please revise your articles, since, as you can see by the comments above, your facts are incorrect and very upsetting. Thank you.

Posted by: sharona2010 | April 2, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapatosky,

For this article, it would behoove you to do a bit more research. The celebration of Nathan L. Anderson's life held yesterday was witnessed by more than 3000 in person and 2000 on the internet. He was a remarkable young man and totally undeserving of your dismissive remarks!

Posted by: Tocoliz55 | April 2, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why you were allowed to write this article or any others if you take such an rude approach to the death of another human being regardless of knowing him or not. I hope when your time comes, someone will show you more respect then what you have given the Anderson family and their friends. Just a suggestion, make sure all facts are correct before publishing information on such a sensative matter. From my view point you basically made a statement saying Nathan was the cause of his own death, which is not true. Be sure when you rewrite this, you have all the right information. We wouldn't want you to have to write it a third time.

Thank you and I look forward to reading your revised article.

Posted by: crystaljakson22 | April 2, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

This Washington Post article should read as follows:

Beware of Bikes

On March 25, Lt. Nathan L. Anderson, young, talented, and intelligent, was killed in a tragic motorcycle accident. Nathan Anderson, 25, and another cyclist were traveling north on 14700 block of Baltimore Avenue when a Chevrolet Corvette,pulling out of the Tower Plaza shopping center, ran a red light and crashed into Nathan's vehicle.

Lt. Nathan L. Anderson of the Public Health Service was a gifted and vibrant man. He enjoyed running marathons, flying air planes. Nathan was also a gifted musician who touched many lives. On Thursday, April 1, more than 3000 people tuned in to Nathan's memorial service.

The Washington Post advices ALL drives to please "Beware of Bikes" that we will not lose another great life in an unnecessary crash....

Mr. Zapotosky & Washington Post team, please consider the family and friends of Lt. Nathan L. Anderson, and post an apology and retraction. Thank You!

A. Tucker-Palmer

Posted by: ATucker-Palmer | April 2, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky,

As a writer myself, I know how easy it is to play on words and imply a biased opinion into an "objective" article. So, how dare you publish an article in which you know what you implied, understating a life like that?

How insensitive and unprofessional can this article get. Really? a motorcyclist hit a corvette? Does that even make any sense. So, the Lieutenant of Public Health, piano player of many churches, lover of life, God, and his family, would run into a car and kill himself?

You are not only insulting the Anderson family, but insulting the Washington Post for hiring a hasty, misinformed and altogether negatively crafty writer.

Nathan Anderson, 25, probably a greater man that you can ever aspire to be was hit by a driver who wasn't paying attention. Impacted so bad, that he was killed.

And before I sign out, because your article has officially made me sick to my stomach, if the corvette was "pulling out" of the shopping center, implying that he was going slow, how is it that an experienced driver (who has the right of way) was able to impact it so that it was himself who was killed? Let's be logical and altogether intelligent.

How dare you post an article like this when a grieving family will read this and you don't even have the decency to check your facts.

Write a contraction. End of story. It's people like you, Mr. Zapotosky, who uphold Satan's plot to bring negativity to this world in the name of death.

So as a writer and a Christian, don't mar the efforts that we have instituted to bring glory to a death of a man who not only did his job and checked his facts, but who would never degrade someone just because he wanted attention. He got it the right way.

Thank you.

A. Etinoff

Posted by: etinoffa | April 2, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

What an incredible, fine, young man was Nathan Anderson. His life speaks volumes, and it tells us something about the God that he served, the commitment and love of his parents, and the heart that he had.
I am absolutely, and utterly disgusted at this...poor attempt at reporting the last moments of a great young man's life. I noticed that you quoted, "police said" several times. I am wondering if you can name those individuals, and would they admit to having offered incorrect information to a reporter? This community is well connected to ascertain "whom" the individuals were, and what was stated. Please identify whom they were as a way of validating your story.
I, too noticed that you listed Nathan's name and failed to identify the individual who killed him. I am curious to know why you selected this course of action?
I suspect that by the amount of responses that you are getting-it will be prudent to retract this poor report in respect for Nathan, his family, and for those of us who have a heart for justice. I think that the Washington Post should be very concerned about this report and please, please..do the right and honorable thing.
Rest, Nathan! You will be missed, dearly-but we look forward to that "Great Gettin' Up Morning!"
Peace-your universal family!!

Posted by: Itsme10 | April 2, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Peace-your universal family!!

Posted by: Itsme10 | April 2, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Does the report state that the other car was leaving HOOTERS? I think not. WHY?

Posted by: charlesdudleyii | April 2, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I pray and hope that the author that wrote this article have the heart to rewrite this article correctly. I cant even describe how reading this makes me feel. That's all that I can say in a nice way.

Posted by: ciliciarogers | April 2, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Nathan Anderson was a talented, God-fearing, charismatic, intelligent, young man, and he was one of my dearest friends. As a motorcyclist he was always very safe and had a deep respect for the road.

Because you did not have the honor of knowing him, I cannot expect that you would know this about him and bias your story according to the above mentioned facts. However, there are certain facts that I expect you to ascertain and report.

1.) Witnesses: You should have determined if any witnesses were on the scene and obtained an account.

2.) Police report: You made no mention of the official account according to the police report nor did you name the officer from whom you received your account

3.)Parties involved: I am assuming that you may not be able to publish the name of the driver of the Corvette in light of the ongoing investigation. But you made no mention of that. You gave no explanation as to why you did not name the other parties involved.

4.)Personal Information: Did you know that Lt. Nathan Anderson proudly served his country in the United States Public Health Services for the past 8 years, was a loving brother, and the son of a Lt. Col (USAFR) and Commander (USNR) who fight for your right to glibly publish news in this country? Did you know that Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, sent a personal letter to his family expressing her sadness at his loss? It would have been nice if you went the extra mile to find out a little more information.

Overall, I am very disappointed in the caliber of this article. The facts you reported were in accurate and insensitive. Please retract this story.

Posted by: THamp | April 2, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Although this is a short article, it has clearly bothered readers with its implications of responsibility resulting from the author's poor word choice. The words, "he ran into" implies something that the rest of the article does not support. "He ran into a car pulling out of a Laurel shopping center" could also be written "A car pulled out of a Laurel shopping center into his path." Clearly each sentence places emphasis on a certain party. Perhaps saying he collided with a car that was pulling out would be more unbiased.

There are times when sensitivity and lack of conclusive evidence or completion of an investigation may call for using different language. One of these times is when reporting about a death. You need to consider the family and friends of the deceased. Any implication of fault that is not strongly supported by unbiased fact should be avoided.

I have heard that the author of the article has been presented the opportunity to speak with an eye witness and a relative of the deceased. I hope that this will help to illuminate the true story more, and I hope that story will be shared.

My deepest sympathy and regards for the family and friends of the deceased.

Posted by: ginanoe | April 2, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

The mission of the Crime Scene: "to cover crime and justice issues and participate in a lively discussion about how to make our community, country and world a safer place." The Crime Scene to serve and inform.
This article does not live up to your very own mission posted at the top of this site, nor has it served nor informed. My name is Jenipher and I came all the way from Tampa, FL to honor this young man which I have witnessed first hand mature into the young man he is and was. This would have been a great opportunity to highlight motorcycle safety, as your very own mission statement is to make OUR community, country and you even went so far as to say, our World, a better place. I am surprised by this article as I am sure the family is. It was written as if this was a cat in a tree story. I have done my own research and read some of your previous articles, and realize that not much thought was put into writing those either. I understand times are hard at the post and people are busy with news happening literally every second, but Nathan deserved MUCH better than that. Nathan served his country(USA), with pride and his memorial service on Wednesday where people stood in line for hours to pay their last respects, and then stayed until almost 10pm to celebrate his life is evidence of that. We then woke up early the next day and attended his funeral where his friends, family, employers and co-workers had not even a slighty negative word to utter, not even as a joke. As has been previously suggested, visit http://www.facebook.com/l/ad13b;www.praizevision.com/ to get just a tiny glimpse of the Renaissance Man who's life was taken too soon. I feel for the other driver as well. Whether he was Wrong or right, he cannot be sleeping to well knowing he was party to an incident which took a life. Mr Zapostsky, I pray that you never have to experience this same kind of curt, and uninvestigated reporting if your loved one is ever in the same situation. Nathan was loved, respected and will never be forgotten. His broad, bright smile, and ability to make others feel special is a rare, rare, very rare characteristic. Mr Zapotsky, we rest easy believing that Nate was ready spiritually to make his appointment with his Lord and Savior. Thank you for your time. Please consider all the comments posted here today and act accordingly, and responsibly. Luciangem, Tampa, FL

Posted by: luciangem | April 2, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree with "ginanoe" the word choice is insensitive, presenting a biased angle. Again, this artice must be RETRACTED so that the FACTS can be portrayed ACCURATELY.

Posted by: ajm90560 | April 2, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? Because none of these other commenters are making any sense to me right now...

This is not an opinion article. This is simply a report of an incident. Its purpose is not to convince anyone of anything or to skew the truth. The writer simply looks at a police report and publishes what it says.

It is true that Nathan Anderson was not at fault. It is true that the car pulled out in front of him.

But the article doesn't say anywhere that it was Nathan's fault. In fact it says at the end of the article that no one has been charged with anything right now because they're still investigating what happened.

The article said that the motorcycle hit the car, yes. But all that means is that the front of the motorcycle made impact with the side of the car. The word "hit" doesn't carry any blame or emotion with it. The writer isn't saying that it was on purpose or that he was being reckless. In fact, if you look closely you will see that he doesn't use a single adjective in the entire article.

Also, as another commenter mentioned, the writer even says that the car was pulling out of a shopping center. If the writer was trying to say it was someone's fault he would have left that part out. When he mentions that the car was pulling out it's a pretty obvious indication that it was the car's fault.

Furthermore, I don't see how this could possibly be construed as racist considering that the article never once mentions Nathan's race. Any reader not already familiar with Nathan would have no idea that he was black after reading this article.

Of course it's an emotional time right now, but there's no need to start lashing out at people who haven't done anything wrong. The article was not meant to be insensitive. It was not meant to stereotype. It was simply meant to inform. TRY not to read so much into things.

Posted by: machoooooooooo | April 2, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I am missing something or if the author has already edited his article, but I don't get what the big deal is.

A car can initiate contact with (hit) another car in an accident and not be at fault. That would be the case in just about every car accident involving a vehicle that is turning.

Posted by: National_Capitalism | April 2, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Zapotoski

Let me start out by admitting that I do not know you, nor do I know anything about your life. You could be mixed, and all your best friends could be black, so I am not going to use the race card and say that this article was racially motivated. I also have to admit that you might be getting your story from a police officer who does not care for young black man, or people in general on motorcylces. So, I will not hold this against you, but I will stick to the facts. You sir, have written a one sided, acusotory article depicting this one Proffessional, God fearing, people loving, musically talented, life conscious, church active, young leader and a Lt. of the United States Airforce, as a reckless boy! (Truely an officer and a entleman) Nathan Anderson was also a pilot and seasoned rider. I beseech you to rewrite this story and give a full description of the fact. How could a motorcyclist traveling down a road at normal speeds just run into a corvette. I ask you sir, as a media proffesional, please remove this insensitive article and rewrite the truth. The truth that the exemplary life of Nathan Anderson was cut short by a vehicle that cut him off, while riding his motorcycle. Furthermore, please do not take the words used to describe Lt. Anderson lightly. often time, we see in the news following a death the "this person was a great guy" when everyone knew that their lives were everything but good. I assure you, Nathan Anderson had an infectious, positive and Christ like life that he lived. The funny thing is that He would probably grin his big smile after reading such an article of someone else in the same predicament, as he shakes his head. thank you for your time. God bless you Mr. Zapotoski, I wish you well in all that you do.

Posted by: Genu1 | April 2, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

@ Machoooo and National_Capitalism: The article stated that Nathan "ran into," not "came into contact with" or "hit" another car. The implication is in who is at fault. Yes, it is an emotional time; however, language frames reality. Also, if you have an opportunity, check out Ginanoe's post above. I believe he/she did a fine job of explaining the phrasing of this article.

Posted by: DrNichole | April 2, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

To Machooooooooooooo and National_capitolism.

The fact remains that the words of the article make it seem as if Nathan hit the corvette. Instead of the actual fact. It should atleast read

"The life of Nathan Anderson was cut short after an accident occured where a vehicle apperently cut him off as it was pulling unto the road while Nathan was traveling on his bike, which caused the motorcyle to run into the vehicle."

Now, I am not a writer, but atleast this shows, that the vehicle pulled out infront of the bike, not just a bike running into a car. People are going to view it as another reckless motorcyclist. Which is not the case and far from it.

Posted by: Genu1 | April 2, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

To Machoooooooooo and National_Capitalism: I had not intended to post a comment UNTIL I read your posts. The article's offense is with its *IMPLICATION*. The writer did a great disservice to both the reading public and those of us who love Nathan Anderson with what he failed to report. Clearly, the wording of the article ("he ran into a car") indicates that the motorcyclist caused the collision. Although it was not explicitly stated, it was sufficiently implied.

Posted by: donnamaesings | April 2, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I am hoping that after further investigation and fact checking the truth of what took place will be revealed. For individuals who did not know this young man who served his country with honor and distinction it may not be that deep. However, for those of us who knew him and his entire family we expect more!

I guarantee that after you have had an opportunity to interview the individual who was with him, your news outlet will be moved to do justice to a life cut short in this tragic way. I know that reporting on stories about blacks killing other blacks in Southeast DC is "more newsworthy" than a story about this young man.

May God bless you and the sometimes difficult job that you have to do.

April Williams

Posted by: aprild_w | April 2, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

To Machoooo:

Please let me first say I agree with some of what you have pointed out. Chief among the statements I agree with is that this is likely not a racially tainted article. I request that in expressing ourselves we are careful only to touch on things that are evident and not implied. Next, I agree that it isn't an opinion article. It was an article which was supposed to present the facts about an accident. I think through the emotion everyone feels, we are explaining to the writer that he failed as a responsible journalist to present all the facts. In addition, his article may not have overtly expressed that Nathan was at fault, but no one can deny that it is implied through his indication that the bike ran into the corvette. We can't expect for you to read the article with the emotion we feel because you must not have known him. It was the insensitive tone of the report of the incident and the lack of effort put forth to gain more information about the case.

Yes, he reported on a police report. However, in an investigation of a story not even police go based on one source of information. They pursue other sources to get the most accurate construction of the story. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. If this story was worth publishing, it was worth getting all the details from several sources. If it's not worth putting in the effort, he should not have published the story and presented it as factual. That's all we are attempting to convey. If that offends your sensibilities all I ask is that you put yourself in the shoes of our family, his friends, and coworkers. If the shoe was on your foot you would not want your loved one who lost his life in such a tragedy to be presented in this way. Allow myself and these individuals to express and grieve. It's reasonable. If it is unreasonable for you, perhaps you should find another article to monitor.

Posted by: dandriaanderson | April 2, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky,

It's painfully clear that you made a very big mistake in prejudging someone you didn't know, you also made statements based on what someone said and obviously not facts. I'm surprised at the level that you've come to report this insensitive article and how cold and ridiculous it sounds.

It's also clear by the spelling of your last name that you've come to this country and made assumptions about African American people that have always been unfounded and certainly not true. Nathan was a educated and an exceptional child, I know that because I've know him since he was born. We serve a God who makes no mistakes and everything is done for salvation, something you probably don't understand based on what you wrote or maybe even understand, but just don't care.

Based on your article I can only assume that you are young and really don't have enough experience to be a reporter, but was given the opportunity, because I do know some reporter and they would have never reported in this manner. You have not learned sensitivity, tack and just plane common sense. I invite you to join facebook and sign onto the page R.I.P Nathan Anderson and you will see the person he was.

If you never learn anything else in this life learn this lesson.....God is in full control and He decides who comes and goes but He expects us all to love and respect each other if we don't there's no chance of us going to heaven where every one loves and respect everyone. Nathan is gone now, but certainly will not be forgotten.

You should apologize to his family and his many, many, many friends who stood in line for 4 hours to see him for the last time for two days.

Posted by: vbullart | April 2, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

(let me preface this by noting that I have already read all of the comments thus far)

Maybe in your locale there is a lot of negative stigma around motorcyclists that I'm not aware of. When I read this article "another reckless motorcyclist" was the farthest thing from my mind, and I was definitely not confused in the least by the wording.

Most of the people commenting here seem to have already known about the incident and what had occurred before they even read this article. For me, though, this article was how I learned of this incident. It was obvious to me that this article was saying that the car pulled out in front of him.

Articles reporting traffic incidents like this are written to be quick and concise. They use as few words as possible to deliver the information. The article clearly says that an accident occurred in which a car pulled out into the street in front of a motorcycle. The result was unavoidable: The motorcycle hit the car. I don't see how anybody could read this article and leave with any conclusion other than that it was the corvette driver's fault.

If the writer of this article had written it the way some of the other commenters have suggested, it wouldn't have sounded nearly as professional, nor would it have fit in this section of the site. This isn't intended to be an obituary or and editorial. If it was in one of those sections, then I would be criticizing the writer as well.

If I read the article and came to the correct conclusion about the events that occurred, how can you be sure that everyone else won't?

This comment section includes some great tributes to Nathan. People should focus on those rather that attacking the writer.

Anyway, I do sympathize with Nathan's family and friends and am praying for them.

Posted by: machoooooooooo | April 2, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it interesting that you, Mr. Matt Zapotosky, have written your little piece as ignorantly and irresponsibly as you are seemingly trying to portray LIEUTENANT NATHAN L. ANDERSON? Isn't it interesting how you wrote this "blurb" in the way that you did, having not even been on the scene of the incident? Isn't interesting how you can infect the ideas and thoughts of your readers with such an INACCURATE, THOUGHTLESS and INSENSITIVE release of Zapotosky's "view"...or lack there of? Isn't it interesting that YOU, MR. ZAPOTOSKY, found it logical enough to write about it in the manner you did that a cyclist, already on a major thorofare, is met by an inattentive corvette driver pulling out of a shopping center parking lot and ultimately killed...AND YOU ARE STILL A WRITER FOR THE WASHINGTON POST? ISN'T IT A BIT INTERESTING that you had enough facts and (yet to be determined) sense to release the name of the deceased, whom, by the way, you didn't have enough knowledge about the case to know he was a LIEUTENANT...serving his country...the same country you insensitively portrayed him to be a reckless and inattentive cyclist to...one who would "commit suicide" by running into a car? CAN YOU FIND IT TO BE JUST A LITTLE BIT INTERESTING that this 25 year old, African-American, well-educated, well-respected (by people of ALL ages and races), God-fearing Christian, church going AND PARTICIPATING member, Military LIEUTENANT (who, by the way, was on his way to talk with a new, prospective candidate for the Military...to join LT Anderson in serving THIS country when this incident took place) was portrayed as just another black male who was killed riding around on some motorcycle while the perfect little corvette driver is portrayed as the "saint" who kindly drove out of the parking lot in front of the cyclist on the main thorofare and then waited around at the crash scene like an angel? ANY OF THIS A LITTLE INTERESTING TO YOU????? Is it NOT interesting that after you got whatever the police told you, there were no considerations for doing a bit more research so you could intelligently put a word out in a column of a MAJOR newspaper that will have your name attached to it?

Is any of this interesting enough for you to dig a little deeper, do a little more research and ammend/re-write your article? I SURE THINK SO! Because isn't it interesting that if this misrepresented LIEUTENANT had been your son or loved one or that of your informant...he wouldn't have been misrepresented?

Respectfully sent IN LOVE,
Terrell

Posted by: leviteterrell | April 2, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

To: Machoooooooooo

I DON’T WHAT YOU WERE READING BUT THIS MAN CLEARLY STATES:
A Burtonsville motorcyclist was killed last week after HE RAN INTO A CAR pulling out of a Laurel shopping center, police said.
”.

THIS MAN CLEARLY SAID THAT MR. ANDERSON RAN INTO A CAR PULLING OUT OF A LAUREL SHOPPIN CENTER, AND HE ALSO STATE THAT THE POLICE SAID THIS.

IF HE HAD SPOKEN WITH THE POLICE OFFICER HE WOULD HAVE HIS INFORMATION CORRECTLY, BUT BECAUSE HE WANTED TO STATE WHAT, AND HE DIDN’T WANT TO CONTACT THE POLICE OFFICER FROM THE SCENCE.

THIS IS WHY A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE CORRECTING THIS WRITER!

AND IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU DIDN’T READ THIS CORRECTLY AND YOU ARE DRAWING YOUR OWN CONCLUSION TOO.

HOWEVER, I KNOW THAT Matt Zapotosky ISN’T GOING TO WRITE A RETRACTION BUT WHAT THE POST NEEDS TO DO IF FIRE HIM!

THE FAMILY SHOULD SUE THE POST AND Matt Zapotosky FOR FALSIFYING INFORMATION.

Posted by: maykarlia | April 2, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the sincerity of your comments, Machoooooooooo. It's assuring to know that you arrived at the correct conclusion; however, it is not a given that the average reader would have your same experience. What one takes away from this article is a matter of perspective. Therein lies the issue. It leaves too much room for interpretation. Should the article be worded in such a way that readers come away with varied fundamental understandings of a factual event? I am no expert, but somehow I think not. Humbly, I am inclined to think that different phraseology could have avoided insult. Your comments--and prayers--are appreciated.

Posted by: donnamaesings | April 2, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

JUSTICE! TRUTH! PEACE!

TRUTH YIELDS MUCH FREEDOM!

JUSTICE WILL BE DULY SERVED!

AND PEACE IS THE FINAL RESULT!

Posted by: uniquelypeculiar | April 2, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

JUSTICE, TRUTH, PEACE!

TRUTH WILL YIELD MUCH FREEDOM,

JUSTICE WILL BE DULY SERVED,

AND PEACE IS THE ULTIMATE RESULT!

Posted by: uniquelypeculiar | April 2, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky,
I am extremely appalled at the article posted. Not only was it disturbing, but it was utterly ridiculous. Nathan Anderson had the right away on the particular travel route mentioned and his records could show how cautious he was as a motorcyclist.
I am also highly offended that as the deceased and highly respected Nathan Anderson was talked about in such a negative and cruel way. He was not only a kind and gentle person, but he also was a safe gentleman. Not only are you attempting to destroy his positive reputation, but you are presenting falsified information! He was the servant of the most high GOD!

Posted by: lolabunny13 | April 2, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to get into a debate over this issue under the tragic circumstances. If you guys think it is important, than I respect that. I am just saying that I was able to understand that it was the Corvette's fault based on what I read in the article.

Posted by: National_Capitalism | April 3, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for your prayers, Machooooo. And National_Capitalism, we're glad you understood the article.

Posted by: DrNichole | April 3, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

To: The Anderson Family
First let me apologize for not acknowledging your son by his rank: LT. NATHAN ANDERSON.

Second, I just wanted to say that even though this writer did not to his research properly for publishing this so article. It is also Washington Post who is as guilty as Mr. Zap for not properly researching and making sure that Zap had researched and get accurate information.

I personally did not know your son but I can tell do to the outpour of support that he was a very GOD fear; kind hearted; loveable; brilliant; and family orientated young man.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

GOD BLESS THE ANDERSON FAMILY, LT. NATHAN FRIENDS, AND THE EDITOR OF THIS REPORT.

Posted by: maykarlia | April 3, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

From Nicole:

ok family....this is hard but my father wanted you all to read this article published in the Washington Post the day of Nate's funeral...it's real brief yet facts were omitted and it was down right insensitive..Daddy requests that you BLLOWW UP the Post's comments section of this article indicating the NATE that WE ALL... KNOW...exemplifying the character of CHRIST! Please don't be nasty, but we need to correct this gentleman about who Nate really was.... Remember let's do in LOVE!

This is a question for the Washington Post and Mr. Zap:

Why is it that your writer and editor did not properly acknowledge Lt. Nathan Anderson as a Lieutenant?
Why is it that the Washington Post and Mr. Zap did not name the drive of the vehicle at fault? According to you this driver who was hit by Lt. Anderson stayed at the scene. Who was this driver?

Posted by: maykarlia | April 3, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

This is a question for the Washington Post and Mr. Zap:

I will make sure that I let everyone know who that Washington Post as well as Mr. Zap does not properly get information!

Posted by: maykarlia | April 3, 2010 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Based on the evidence Nathan was not a reckless cyclist as what this article is portraying him to be. This was a collision caused by the van getting in the way of the him at the last minute.

Posted by: marshasutherland | April 3, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

First of all...show some respect and address Nathan Anderson according to his Rank; Lieutenant. I am disgusted at this article. Hopefully you will be equally as misinformed when a loved one of your one dies by no fault of their own. I feel sorry for you.

Posted by: teontaylor | April 3, 2010 2:45 AM | Report abuse

Real Talk Mr.Zapotosky...you should always check your sources before you post a story about someone especially when using a name and especially is that person is deceased. If you're going to use a name make sure you use all parties involved as well. Maybe you were more focused on making the article deadline just to have your work/name in the paper.I mean I don't know...kind of reminds me of the writer for the Baltimore Sun in HBO's "The Wire" who just put out pieces just to have recognition for props and to keep his job...no real/accurate sources or good follow through to justify his article...You know maybe someone should send him the link to Nathan's Funeral so he can see the person he insensitively wrote about.....

Posted by: Reminisce | April 3, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky, First, We would like to apologize for any individual who has written to you in a malicious manner. We all LOVE Nathan, but some of these postings are not how he would have responded. Please forgive the combative tone that arose from what is undoubtedly an unfortunate situation for both motorists and their respective families/friends.

Second, The post MAY have been better received if it stated:

A Burtonsville motorcyclist was killed last week after a collision occurred outside of a Laurel shopping center.

The motorcyclist, Lt. Nathan Anderson, 25, was traveling north in the 14700 block of Baltimore Ave when a collision occurred between he and the driver of a Chevrolet Corvette pulling out of the Tower Plaza shopping center on March 25. Lt. Nathan Anderson was transported to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The driver of the Corvette reportedly remained on the scene of the crash.

According to police, any charges in the case would come after the accident reconstruction is complete and the state’s attorney has reviewed the case.

Most, if not All, who have responded to this post share a mutual faith belief, as did Nathan. We believe in a God who does ALL things well and NEVER makes mistakes. We also believe that nothing can separate us from HIS love.

If anyone's post has caused you to feel anything but loved, we sincerely apologize. Please bear with us as we all grieve and strive to meet His challenge to love our neighbor as ourselves. May God richly Bless you and your family!

Cory and Nicol

Posted by: HesSoFaithful2Me | April 3, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Zapotosky and Editors,

I noted that you haven't posted my response to your blog. It's been well over 10 hours since it was written. It was factual and nonconfrontational; yet it contained quite a bit of information that was true. It fell within the guidelines of what is allowed to be posted on this site. Why then haven't you posted it? I await your response.

Posted by: mrichelleanderson | April 3, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Friends and family: Our hearts are all aching over the loss of Nathan. In our grief, let's not forget that we were admonished at his service, to "pay forward" the things that we so much appreciated about Nathan. For those of us who are Christians, have any of us stopped to think that perhaps the writer of this article is one of the very people whose life might be changed by Nathan's death? How would Nathan have responded to this article? He may have been unhappy, but I promise you he would not have been verbally harsh or judgmental. Please, lets not further tarnish his memory by commenting in an unkind and unprofessional manner.

Posted by: nomorebillablehours | April 3, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Matt,

I was very sadden by your remarks, regarding the death of our Dear friend Nathan L. Anderson, who was killed last Thursday, March 25. I am not sure where your information comes from but the information you received was incorrect. There were eye witnesses that saw what happened but were not asked. I couldn’t imagine the sorrow his family feels but then to read your remarked regarding his death was very thoughtless. As a journalists, I understand that you need to tell the story but facts are included in that. I can only hope better care of words could bring peace to those who grieve rather than disdain. I hope a reprint can be done in honor of Nathan.

Nathan was a soldier, who served and loved his country. He was loved by all who knew him and respected by many more. I hope a reprint could be done before the case is completed.

Posted by: stmsent | April 3, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zap,

I MUST apologize to you for the way I responded to your article. No, I did not respond in a way that Nathan would have and I do realize that my response misrepresents him and who he was just as much as I feel the article did. I allowed my emotions to take over and run free...ultimately shedding a negative light...and one that was less than Christian.

I do, however, feel some corrections should be made and all facts should be included and the story be re-released.

Praying you'll accept my apology for the harshness...I am still battling the emotions of this tragedy, admittedly, not in the best way...

Terrell

Posted by: leviteterrell | April 4, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Zapotosky, this article is not a true representation of my friend and colleague LT Nathan Anderson. LT Anderson was one of the most responsible young officers I've met during my career. LT Anderson loved his country; he was a God fearing man, a pilot, a international musician, and a aspiring physician. LT Anderson was an extraordinary person, with a huge caring heart.

I respectfully ask that the April 1, 2010 statement be retracted, to reflect what actually happened on March 25, 2010.

Sincerely,
LCDR Chestnut

Posted by: LCDRUSPHS | April 4, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

The hardest and most difficult thing about reading an article such as this, is to know that others, who do not know the facts, will have to read as well, and be persuaded. Knowing Nathan myself makes this response a necessity.
The first question I have for The Post and Mr. Zapotsky (since we've been admonished to address both entities) is, are you implying that Nathan had a death wish? A 25 year old male, careful and precise, as well as a perfectionist at every other task, runs into a corvette and is killed...I guess in the same regard I can assume that the driver of the corvette paid a pretty sum for this article to read this way. Just because you place "police stated" After every sentence, by NO MEANS implies fact. In fact, in many cases it implies the opposite. Your post verbatim states "The motorcyclist, Nathan Anderson, 25, was traveling north in the 14700 block of Baltimore Avenue when he ran into a Chevrolet Corvette pulling out of the Tower Plaza shopping center on March 25." Now logically speaking, 1. what motorcyclist drives fast enough, (in a shopping center no less) to kill himself? 2. The corvette was pulling out which, by this implication, means he had to be going slowly. So, a motorcyclist driving in a shopping center hits an almost parked car and is killed...
Ever heard of Jayson Blair...
Please try to get facts before posting stories, a post made with fallible information can wound just as badly as the undesirable yet factual content.

Posted by: IamMarc | April 5, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow! A very close friend of mine just pointed this article out to me. Just so the world knows Nate was one of the most level head riders out there. He was definitely not one of those riders who had no respect for himself, the bike or the people around him. I can say this because I rode with him on a regular basis whenever we all go the opportunity. I think everyone prior to me said everything that I could say.
Did you by chance consider re-writing this article because it’s very wrong? How about you try contacting the other cyclist to get a firsthand account of what happened.

Posted by: jahjahjackson | April 6, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

You people are whacked. I'm sorry that your friend, brother or whatever his relationship to you died. But the fact remains HE RAN INTO the VET. The guy shortchanged him and he didn't have time to react. So the writer CORRECTLY reported the facts at the time The district attorney hadn't filed charges against anyone. You people go off on a tagent about god fearing and whatever he reported CORRECTLY what happened. Find a different way to vent your grief. MOVE ON

Posted by: dcofer | April 7, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Nathan and I belonged to the same congregation. I agree with the other comments criticizing this news account. There is another story about another motor cycle fatality where the rider who had the right-of way was killed. In that story the post says he "collided with a SUV ...".

I agree - the Post does seem to have something against motorcyclists.

The story is here:http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/crime-and-public-safety/alexandria-motorcyclist-dies-i.html

Posted by: kelvinator1 | April 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The other party's name was Joshua Schumacher. Came out in a police report dated the same day as this one.

Posted by: mrichelleanderson | April 8, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

To dcofer, first the word is spelled "tangent" not "tagent." Second, perhaps you should read this article before verbalizing your opinion:

Posted by: mrichelleanderson | April 8, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

This is clearly a tragedy that will be difficult to understand and overcome for the family and friends of Lt. Anderson. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you. I too agree that the article was not written with the sensitivity and care that it should been. I also agree it tends to lay blame without fully exploring the facts. I can’t speculate as to the writer’s intent but clearly the poor writing has offended many of its readers. However, I would note that many of the blogs that I have read here seem to be doing the same thing. The blogs are trying to convict the driver of the corvette of being reckless without all the facts. Implying cell phone use or inattentiveness does the same thing as the Article. The article stated that the police said that any charges in the case would come after the accident reconstruction is complete and the state’s attorney has reviewed the case. Speculation and accusations prior to this does no one any good.

I would also ask that prayers go out to the driver of the corvette who will now have to live with this heavy burden, whether his fault or not, for the rest of his life.

Posted by: eagles2 | April 8, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse