Woman charged with fatally beating mother

A Hillcrest Heights woman was arrested Thursday and charged with fatally beating her mother, authorities said.

Latoya A. Martin, 28, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of her mother, Sheila F. Martin, 53, of Temple Hills. Latoya Martin apparently beat her mother to death after a "domestic-related" incident in the 3900 block of 26th Avenue in the Hillcrest Heights area just before noon Thursday, authorities said.

Police had initially said Latoya Martin had stabbed her mother. On Friday, they corrected that mistake.

Latoya Martin is being held in the Prince George’s County jail, authorities said. A motive in the attack remains unclear.

— Matt Zapotosky

By Washington Post Editors  |  March 26, 2010; 1:38 PM ET
Categories:  Homicide , Maryland , Matt Zapotosky , Pr. George's , Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dog attacks, damages police cruiser in Tenn.
Next: Two D.C. men dead in late-night Prince George's crash

Comments

I look at my kids and wonder -at what point would they ever 'hate me' like this...

I pray NEVER.

Posted by: Capsheaf | March 26, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

@Capsheaf - I'm afraid this is far more complicated than simple hate. What a debt to carry on your soul as killing the person who once breathed for you. It is a freakish nightmare, one from which you never awake!

Posted by: wisewunn | March 26, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billydee123 | March 26, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

killing,even a loved one,means nothing to this new generation of we-created monsters.when we lost the right to discipline our own kids,like i was disciplined with tree switches and belts,bruises and welts,we created a generation of ........?

Posted by: billydee123 | March 26, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I am so sadden to hear my x girl friend has fallen to her death and only God can raise her up in His arms and give her a new life with know pain and suffing. my prayers go out to all her kids and family in hope I can attend her homecoming

Posted by: jkelly5718 | March 27, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse