Overall crime rate down in Prince William, police say

Prince William County officials reported a slight uptick in some violent crime in 2009, but said the overall crime rate was at a 15-year low.

There were more robberies and aggravated assaults in 2009 than 2008, police said.

The county also saw a dramatic increase in reported rapes -- from 28 in 2008 to 57 in 2009. Police said 18 of those rapes occurred before 2009 but were reported last year.

There were fewer murders last year: Ten in 2009 compared to 12 the previous year, police said.

The number of burglaries, car thefts and larcenies also dropped.

Police said violent crimes make up only a small portion of all crime in the county. Property crimes accounted for 93 percent of all crime last year.

-- Maria Glod

By Maria Glod  |  April 21, 2010; 10:48 AM ET
Categories:  Crime Statistics , Maria Glod , Pr. William
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man linked to string of Northern Virginia robberies
Next: Teen charged with killing his uncle in Pr. William

Comments

See that? Prince William kicked out illegal aliens and the crime rate went down.

Posted by: postisarag | April 21, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Now Montgomery who welcomed the illegals with open arms is seeing the crime rate go up.

Posted by: Pilot1 | April 21, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@Pilot1
Just by way of information, The Post has been covering the release of crime data:

Posted by: Washington Post editors | April 21, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The illegals leave - crime goes down. Montgomery County is too stupid to connect the dots, they deserve the illegals. They can keep them for all I care. Better there than in my county.

Posted by: savethepcbs | April 21, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

How many murders/homicides in the District & PG County in 2009? Anyone know?

What's the black population of Prince William County? Less than 10%?

I hope I haven't offended anyone with these questions.

Posted by: uncivil | April 21, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

To: uncivil

It was reported last month that DC's homicide rate in 2009 was at it's lowest since 1966. PG County on the other hand seems to be steady (HIGH).

The black population in PW Co. is higher than 10%. You are looking at 20% if you include Native Africans. The large percentage of white collared crimes that transpired throughout this region were commited by residents of.....well...what do you know....Prince Williams County residents. So just because you commit a crime in DC, MD, Fairfax or Arlington Co...that doesn't exclude where the criminals actually live.

Posted by: BigHustla | April 21, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

So, in short, if you institute policies that keep out illegals then you will have less crime.

Posted by: jeffreid1 | April 21, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"So just because you commit a crime in DC, MD, Fairfax or Arlington Co...that doesn't exclude where the criminals actually live."

Sure. I understand. I don't care where they come from. I just don't want them in my neighborhood or in downtown DC where I work.

Black, brown, white, yellow. Doesn't matter to me. All thugs do the same damage.

"I feel better because a white guy mugged me last night instead of a black man. My bruises & cuts don't feel so bad."

I live in Fairfax County where the total homicides for 2008 was 22. 2007 = 13. 2006 = 19. I can live with that. Less than 10 murders a year would be nice.

I'm not in a gang & don't deal drugs so my chances of being murdered are lower than a thugs or Superfly/Pusherman.

Posted by: uncivil | April 21, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse