Pr. William man charged with posting swastika stickers at his school

An 18-year-old from Woodbridge was arrested at his high school this week and charged with placing swastika stickers throughout his school.

Police began investigating the incidents at Potomac High School in Dumfries on April 15.

Barnes. (Pr. William Police)

Stickers were left on lockers, doors, exit signs and even a police vehicle assigned to the school's resource officer, according to authorities.

The incidents continuted until May 5.

Police arrested the Joseph W. Barnes on Tuesday without incident at the school, police said.

He was charged with five counts of destruction of property, released on bond, and is scheduled for court on June 24, police said.

-- Dan Morse

By Dan Morse  |  May 14, 2010; 9:21 AM ET
Categories:  Dan Morse , Pr. William , Schools
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Police investigating Friday morning shooting in Alexandria
Next: Shots fired at Frederick home injure teen girl

Comments

"yo guys check out all these swastika stickers I put up around school lol pretty sweet huh? yeah I'm gonna go down in history hee hee man, this is the best idea ever!"

- theoretical Joseph Barnes quote

Posted by: steampunk | May 14, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I don't think stickers actually destroy property and I'm pretty sure there's a First Amendment argument to be made, albeit badly.

I think this more of a "Look at me, I need attention" type stunt.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | May 14, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

were these vinyl stickers or paper stickers made on a laser or inkjet printer?
if they were vinyl stickers, where did he get them, from some outside group?

Posted by: MarilynManson | May 14, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Why not plaster his person with said stickers? If you want to be heard, turn yourself into a walking billboard for your beliefs...and accept the fall-out. Coward.

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 14, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

His punishment should be to have a swastika carved into his forehead, like in the movie Inglorious Basterds.

Posted by: case50 | May 14, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope they dont suspend him....he needs all the education he can get.Send him to Israel for a week.

Posted by: captgrumpy | May 15, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I think this more of a "Look at me, I need attention" type stunt.

@ anarcho-liberal-tarian:

You hit the nail on the head, or in this individuals case, the nail is pierced through the lips/face. This is attention seeking behavoir from someone who has already advertised themselves as damaged.

Posted by: hatchlaw | May 18, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse