Throat slashing at Pr. George's Jail
An inmate in the Prince George's County jail in Upper Marlboro slashed the throat of another inmate with a disposable razor, jail sources said.
The attack occurred Jan. 25, sources said.
The victim, Robert E. Fenstermacher Sr., 41, was sleeping in his bunk, in a common area of the cellblock, when he was attacked, said the sources, who declined to be identified because they are not authorized to speak publicly about the incident.
Inmates are put in bunks in the common area of cellblocks when the jail population exceeds the number of beds available in cells.
The jail's Emergency Response Team, a unit of highly trained officers, responded quickly, and Fenstermacher recieved medical treatment at the jail and was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center, the sources said.
Fenstermacher received 10 to 12 stitches, and spent a few hours in the hospital before being returned to the jail, said Gregory Harris, the jail's deputy director.
Authorities have a suspect in the attack, but he has not yet been charged. The suspect has been moved in to the maximum security cellblock pending an investigation by jail officials and police, Harris said.
Jail sources said there appeared to have been no altercation that preceeded the attack.
Inmates can obtain disposable shaving razors by asking for them, jail sources said. Correctional officers typically account for the razors 30 minutes after they have been issued, the sources said.
Fenstermacher, of District Heights, was jailed for allegedly violating a protective order, making threats of arson, and malicious destruction of property. Ramon Korionoff, a spokesman for State's Attorney Angela D. Alsobrooks, said the charges stemmed from a dispute Fenstermacher had with his mother.
On Tuesday, Fenstermacher pleaded guilty in District Court in Prince George's to malicious destruction of property, and was placed on probation, Korionoff said. The other charges were put on the inactive docket; prosecutors can revive them if Fenstermacher violates the terms of his probation.
Fenstermacher was not released. He was turned over to Calvert County authorities for a separate violation.
Jail officials have grappled with a number of security issues in recent years. Two years ago, a group of at least eight inmates simultaneously broke out of their cells and tried to attack jail guards. The inmates were upset because they had been locked down for a week and were not allowed that day to watch the Super Bowl. The fracas was quelled without major injuries to inmates or jail officers.
| February 3, 2011; 8:10 AM ET
Categories: Pr. George's, Ruben Castaneda | Tags: Prince George's County crime, jail
Save & Share: Previous: Guilty plea in 2005 slaying of Bowie girl
Next: Customer calling for pizza hears robbery
Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 3, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 3, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: vuhvuh | February 3, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse