The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 11:55 AM ET, 01/ 7/2011

Pr. George's man convicted on murder charge

By Ruben Castaneda
Ruben Castaneda

A young Landover man who had previously been acquitted of two separate murders was convicted Thursday of first-degree murder and other offenses by a Prince George's County jury.

Jacob L. Brooks, 21, who is already in prison for armed carjacking, faces a possible sentence of life without parole for the murder, officials said. Circuit Court Judge C. Philip Nichols Jr. is scheduled to sentence Brooks on March 4.

"Justice has been a long time coming for Jacob Brooks," said State's Attorney Angela Alsobrooks. "The scales of Lady Justice have tipped in the favor of everyday citizens today -- a violent thug will be behind bars for many years because of a vigilant jury."

Brooks was convicted of murdering Daryl T. Clark, 36, on Nov. 3, 2008. According to evidence presented by prosecutors at Brooks's trial, Clark was shot three times while he was walking his dog in the 1800 block of Cedarwood Court in Hyattsville. At the time of the killing, police said Clark was the innocent victim of a robbery attempt.

Four days after Clark was killed, a woman was carjacked in Landover. Police quickly spotted her Pontiac Grand Prix and chased it. According to court testimony, Brooks was driving the carjacked vehicle. Before he was caught, officers saw him try to hide something under the front of the car, according to court testimony.

Police found a 9mm semiautomatic pistol under the car, and a firearms examination showed the shell casings from the weapon matched those that were used in the Clark killing, according to court records.
In 2009, Brooks was convicted of armed carjacking in the Alexander case. He was sentenced to 23 years for that.

In 2007, two different juries acquitted Brooks of murder in two separate trials.

Brooks was acquitted of first-degree murder in the 2005 slaying of Lakita Danielle Tolson, 19, who was shot to death outside a Temple Hills nightclub. Brooks entered an Alford plea -- meaning he acknowledged the state had enough evidence to convict him if the case had gone to trial -- to two counts of second-degree assault, and was sentenced to five years in prison. In March 2008, Circuit Court Judge Sheila R. Tillerson-Adams reduced Brooks's sentence to time served, and Brooks was released.

Also in 2007, a jury acquitted Brooks in the 2006 killing of a longtime friend, Eric S. Holland, in 2006. Prosecutors accused Brooks of killing Holland, who was 18, because Holland was cooperating with police in the nightclub shooting.

By Ruben Castaneda  | January 7, 2011; 11:55 AM ET
Categories:  From the Courthouse, Homicide, Ruben Castaneda  | Tags:  Prince George's County crime  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Slow down: whales crossing
Next: Arrests in June Montgomery stabbing

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

characters remaining

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company