Arrest in fatal shooting Wednesday night in the District

A 26-year-old was fatally shot Wednesday night in Northeast Washington, and another man has been charged with murder, police said.

Officers called to the unit block of Hawaii Avenue NE at about 7:40 p.m. Wednesday found Shadawnchea Gardner suffering from a gunshot wound, police said.

Gardner, whose last known address was in the 1700 block of Park Road NW, was pronounced dead at an area hospital.

Police said Marcus Silver, 29, of the District has been charged with murder in the case.

-- Maria Glod

By Maria Glod  |  March 11, 2010; 11:12 AM ET
Categories:  Homicide , Maria Glod , The District
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Police, mother seek help in search for missing Montgomery man
Next: Ahead of talks over Md. girls' detention center, a report unearths voices

Comments

Well that didn't take long at all....

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | March 11, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Shadawnchea!!!

I would have died of embarrasment years before. This would win the silly name contest.

Posted by: wobbleman47 | March 11, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Shadawnchea? SHADAWNCHEA???

Good grief...

Posted by: case50 | March 11, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

First I want to say R.I.P Shadawnchea...all you all's other comments are unnecessary....just let that young brother's memory and spirit rest in peace.

Posted by: that44dog44 | March 11, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

This man has lost his life for some foolishness. You all should be ashamed making fun when this is serious.
Pitiful

Posted by: LadyTech | March 11, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the young man's name is quite uncommon, perhaps I would have teased him while alive.... but you folks making fun of his name given the fact his life was taken less than 48 hours ago, goes to show the lack of compassion the human race has for one another.

It shouldn't be a surprise that young urban fellows without much... kill without conscious. They are just manifesting what America has taught them, by any means necessary.... take what you want, and make your own rules. For decades our government has been employing young servicemen to do just that.

Posted by: tpwatson1 | March 11, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P TO MY VERY LOVED COUSIN.YOUR FAMILIY IS GREIVING HARSHLY. YOU WERE TRUELY LOVED. AND TO ALL WHO FIRST COMMENTED ON HIS NAME CAN BE DAMNED TO HELL W/O PEACE ON UR DEATH BEDS IF UR LUCKY ENOUGH TO SLEEP ON ONE. DUCES!

Posted by: shanwa06 | March 11, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I’m still in disbelief that my friend; that my heart is no longer here. Sweetie you are loved way more then you know. I send my deepest condolences out to his family. I got you just like I had him, let me know I’ll be there.
Shanwa06- Thank you! I couldn’t say it any better.

Posted by: sonny2002 | March 11, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

May my former neighbors soul rest in peace. Many condolences from my family to his. May they stay strong and blessed during this time of loss. Our prayers are with them.

Posted by: msruby36 | March 12, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

for those of u who are making fun of his name.....u have no lives....if it was someone u knew or a relative u would be very hurt...please stop being so disrespectful and let him rest in peace....to my homie....missin u like crazy...just saw u a couple of hours before u were killed....R.I.P. Reddz

Posted by: DatCutieJ202 | March 14, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe it you were just here and now you're gone.I will always remember the times when you kept me laughing.and when you use to ask me how Arvel was doin and to stay on his back.or when I was down you would always make it your duty to see what what was wrong with me.because according to you.I was being to quiet.I'm still trying to sink it in and Arvel is to I think he's feeling it more since you watched him grow up.but you know him he's not gonna show it.well just know you will be truely miss.love ya Shadawn.Boy you know your name was always to long for me to remember how to spell but iwas the only one who would say your whole name.you even told me it was cool because I was cool.but at the same time that's what Shontel & Derrick called you and thats how i use to write it.R.I.P.you had such a beautiful soul.Love Always Ashley & Arvel.

And to the first couple of comments how dare you sit there and say those comments about his name.have some respect.this is someones son.father.best friend.co worker.etc.grow up.get a life and some business.

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®