The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 11:18 AM ET, 12/ 8/2010

Elderly D.C. man hit by bicyclist dies

By Paul Duggan

A 78-year-old man died in a hospital Tuesday after being struck by a hit-and-run bicyclist in downtown Washington two weeks ago, police said.

Quan Chu, who lived in Northwest Washington, and a woman, who is also in her 70s, were knocked to the ground by the speeding bicyclist about 10 a.m. on Nov. 26 as the two were walking in an alley off the 600 block of Massachusetts Avenue NW, near the Washington Convention Center, D.C. police said.

The woman, whom police did not publicly identify, also was hospitalized with injuries. Authorities described the incident as a "hit-and-run" and said it is being investigated by the department's major crash unit.

The bicyclist did not stop, instead heading south through the alley toward I Street NW, police said. They described him as having black hair and wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and dark pants. He appeared to be riding a BMX-style bicycle designed for dirt roads and motocross cycling.

Police asked anyone with information about the incident to call 202-727-9099 or 1-888-919-2746. Anonymous information can be submitted to DC Crime Solvers by calling 1-866-411-TIPS or by texting the department at 50411.

If the information provided to the Crime Solvers unit leads to an arrest and indictment, that caller will be eligible for a reward of up to a $1,000, police said.

By Paul Duggan  | December 8, 2010; 11:18 AM ET
Categories:  Paul Duggan, The District, Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 14 charged in auto shop drug ring
Next: Rabbi sues Army over beard ruling

Comments

Run it by me again about how bicycles are so much safer than cars and how cars pose the only danger in cities and how bicyclists are so much more decent and responsible than drivers?

While we're at it, can the bike apologists please explain again why bikes shouldn't be registered and insured to make it easier for garbage like that murderer to be identified and punished and their victims compensated?

Posted by: ceefer66 | December 8, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@ceefer66 Oh My God! After 2,000,000 fatalities caused by cars, some kid on a stunt bicycle actually killed someone! It's time to get all up in arms and go after cyclists and completely ignore statistics! YAH!!!!

Posted by: tk7slam | December 8, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's also time for cyclists to obey the rules of the road like their motor-vehicle counterparts.

Posted by: stwasm | December 8, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

This bicyclist should obviously be found and prosecuted for causing this tragedy and fleeing.

That said, I find stwasm's implication that somehow motorists are more law-abiding curious. Have you checked how many traffic fatalities are caused by bicyclists vs drivers? This bicyclist was riding too fast through an alley- how many drivers follow the speed limit on the average street? Drivers are hardly the shining example of virtue.

Everyone should follow the rules of the road, and both drivers and bicyclists should be held accountable when they drive/bike dangerously.

Posted by: RichardatCourthouse | December 8, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

We should all focus on safety. Too many pedestrians walk in front of cars and bikes. Also, I see many bicycle commuters without helmets. Years ago, I saw a woman die after an accident, with her head split open and brain matter leaking out. Please wear a helmet!

Posted by: Dave115 | December 8, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I walk six blocks every day, from & to Metro. Most every day I'm almost nailed by a bicyclist disregarding a red light, making an illegal turn, riding on the sidewalk or breaking some other traffic law.

If riders want respect in these forums, they can start showing some respect on the roads.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | December 8, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Someone knows something. There is no way this "kid" could keep this quiet.

Posted by: jckdoors | December 8, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: forgetthis | December 8, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Too many pedestrians walk in front of cars and bikes...
Posted by: Dave115
-------------------------------------------

[Gasp1] How dare they! Don't those ignorant pedestrians know that feet don't belong on concrete--only wheels! Friggin pedestrians need to stay inside!

Posted by: forgetthis | December 8, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

While I am NOT defending the bicyclist actions, it is a fact that bicyles have nowhere to go in this city. There are sidewalks for pedestrians and roads for cars. So where are bicyles supposed to be? If I use the street, I get run over by a truck, if I use the sidewalk, I run into pedestrians, it's a no-win situation. Sidewalks should be devided to accommodate cyles. Commuting by bicycles is an environmentally-friendly way to get around, but not in this city. Have a look at Amsterdam.....

Posted by: jeanlucca | December 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It was only a matter of time before a tragedy like this occurred. Anyone who either drives or walks the streets of DC know what a menace cyclists are in this city. Just go to any downtown intersection and watch cyclists run red lights every minute of the day. Go to any residential area and watch cyclists run stop signs, as if the rules of the road do not apply to them. Watch them weave dangerously between cars on crowded arteries and then shift to sidewalks without any regard for pedestrians or anyone else around. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of the cycling community's holier than thou, smug attitude. Cyclists constantly complain that we in cars do not share the road or extend to them the courtesy they deserve. Well, perhaps you guys could set the example by stopping at red lights and stop signs, and follow ALL traffic rules as you are required to do by law.

Posted by: 70sn80s | December 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

While these types of accidents are rarer than fatal car accidents, the fact is that the majority of bicyclists in DC do not follow the rules of the road that car drivers and pedestrians do. They don't stop at red lights, they ride on crowded sidewalks and against traffic, and they just expect everyone to get out of their way. Bicyclists need to follow the law like everyone else.

Posted by: irasciblecurmudgeon | December 8, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

The cyclist may have been a messenger for one or more of the companies in the area. I know they are always in a hurry but to hit anyone is arrogant and stupid. I hope this creep is found and locked away for a long time.

Posted by: skinfreak | December 8, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfreak | December 8, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The bicyclist who did this helps give bicyclists in general a bad name. Some ARE bad news, but many others actually respect pedestrians and do our best to be courteous, especially of elderly pedestrians. I hope that whoever killed the elderly gentleman is caught and prosecuted.

I was in Toronto years ago when I came across a path that was divided--there was a line separating the path into a bike lane and a pedestrian lane. Pedestrians stayed on their side, and bikers on theirs and everybody co-existed peacefully. Of course, that might only work in Canada, or other countries where people actually try to be considerate.

Posted by: CAmira5 | December 8, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I would hardly consider a punk on a BMX bike a representative of the cycling community, particularly commuters using it as their primary means or transport or recreational cyclists using it as a means to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Maybe we all "look the same" from behind a windshield. But then again, how many cars drive through that same allyway at speeds greater than 15 MPH?

Posted by: cycloman | December 8, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

For all of you bike-hating motorists on this board, unless you've honestly never gone 1 mph over the speed limit, never run a red light, and come to a complete full stop at every stop sign your entire life, then you have no business bashing cyclists either.

Posted by: VirginiaDad | December 8, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

irasciblecurmudgeon said:

"Fact" or your well considered opinion? Please name the statistical source of your learned conclusion.

Posted by: cycloman | December 8, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

This is tragic and it seems clear that the biker was at fault and a coward for fleeing. As a sometimes pedestrian, sometimes biker, and sometimes driver, I've noticed that there's a cycle of disrespect that leads to stupid and aggressive behavior on all sides and enough blame to go round. A little self-reflection and respect might go a long way toward avoiding terribly tragic situations like this in the future.

Posted by: mwalsh3a | December 8, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

forgetthis said:

Replace "bicyclist" with "ethinic group of your choice" and please reread the above statement. To which address shall I mail your KKK membership card?

Posted by: cycloman | December 8, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes Jeanlucca, let's look at Amsterdam. Bikes are registered in Amsterdam, bicyclists have dedicated bike lanes (funded by the registration fees), and bikers are trained to ride in classes.

It's not just an issue about who's on the streets and sidewalks, but of whether or not bikers are willing to follow the rules. By and large they don't. I see a biker break the law in downtown every single day, usually multiple times on my walk to the Metro.

Posted by: nwrepresent1 | December 8, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

If that hellion on two wheels had been at church none of this would have happened. Let this be a lesson.

Posted by: ADNova | December 8, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

ceefer66, I am intrigued by the details and potential efficacy of your bicycle registration process. Please do continue with the specifics of the process, fee determination, allocation of revenue collected, etc. Further, please explain in this particular instance absent the rider not fleeing the scene, how this registration process whould have contributed to an apprehension in this specific circumstance? Active GPS tracking attached to the tiny registration sticker attached in some not readable other than turning the bike over and examining means? That would strike me as a hearty conversation between two well thought, well read, and well bred adults, as opposed to the "whalluping" you so eloquently describe. Please continue...

Posted by: cycloman | December 8, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I both drive in the city and commute by bike. I would say that I break traffic laws a much higher percentage of time in my car because I drive a little over the speed limit (e.g., 30 in a 25 mph zone) most of the time. Of course, I get tailgated a lot for going so slow...

Posted by: lhaller | December 8, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

A bike courrier ran out in front of me and when I honked at him, he spun around and smashed my mirror with his kryptonite lock. Another bicyclist slammed into my sister on her bike and put her in the hospital, (he didn't have lights and it was dark. She did). Another cut my brother off, slipped on some gravel, then had the nerve to sue him, (even though my brother was nice enough to take him to the hospital. The cyclist lost).

Yeah, bicyclists can be dangerous. I'm not saying they should be regulated, but I am saying that some of them suck.

Posted by: spazmazilla | December 8, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I am a huge bicycle supporter but this is just tragic. Very sad that someone would do that. I have noticed in DC how many times cyclists run red lights and have avoiced many near misses as a pedestrian. I know motorists do the same thing, but cyclists need to be even more vigilant.

Posted by: TG10 | December 8, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Does the Post report this extensively every time a pedestrian is killed by a car? You might see a quick headline with zero accompanying facts but you chose to report on this which brings out all the one track minded drivers of the world. Irresponsible reporting. If you're going to report on something, report extensively on all accident's involving pedestrians. This is one incident, yet every day I commute on my bike I experience and deal with aggressive drivers or drivers who are not paying a lick of attention. Unbelievable. I feel for the family's of the victims.

Posted by: mbm1 | December 8, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cycloman
------------------------------------

Alright. Although I'm certain of your motive in this, I'll take the bait.

I'm not expert in vehicle (and a bicycle is a vehicle) registration processes, but I'm certain those who are experts in those matters could come up with a procedure.

After all, they do it Amsterdam. And the FIRST thing you bike lovers/transit advocates/car-haters ALWAYS bleat out is "why can't we be like Europe"?

Re: the rest of your smart-aleck nonsense, why dont YOU explain how the CURRENT vehicle registration process would "whould have contributed to an apprehension" in the event of driver hit-and-run - "Active GPS tracking attached to the tiny registration sticker attached in some not readable other than turning the car over and examining means" since YOU brought it up?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Posted by: ceefer66 | December 8, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Also, to the above speculation that it might have been a courier, WRONG - they don't ride BMX bikes. I would bet the ranch that this was a irresponsible teenager trying to be a cool guy, much like the robberies in SE where the lady's jaw was broken or the rash of iphone robberies in the city. This isn't a car vs bike thing, it's an idiot committing an idiotic act.

Posted by: mbm1 | December 8, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I feel for the family as well, but Street Punk on BMX bike = all cyclists in DC how? A lot of folks are making big leaps and generalizations here...danagerous "us" versus "them" thinking that does not bring the victim back, console the family, or bring all shared road users together in a constructive fashion to solve the issue of all vehicles (yes..a bicycle is legally a vehicle) following applicable traffic regulations.

Posted by: cycloman | December 8, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

ceefer66...I drive a powerful 3.5L Altima way over the speed limit all the time, and love cars. I just happen to love bikes too... It ain't us versus them...its of us.

Imagine Peace.

Posted by: cycloman | December 8, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh, but back to your original point, ceefer66, in a car hit and run (and yes, as I state in a subsequent post that a bicycle is indeed a vehicle), unless someone had good eyes and was able to catch the lisence plate, the current vehcile registration laws would not make much of a difference. Which again begs the question of why one would link this tragedy to a bicycle registration scheme as a possible solution. It's a spurious connection at best.

Posted by: cycloman | December 8, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I am saddened by the way so many people posting here have used a tragedy like this to promote their own agenda. Pro-bike, anti-bike, anti-car, pro-car, anti-pedestrian, anti-anyone-else's-lifestyle-but-mine. Go somewhere else for your debate and your hate. Leave the family of this man out of it. Have some sense of decorum or (gasp) humanity.

Posted by: thuff7 | December 8, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The problem is neither cars nor bikes, but the stoopid people using them.

Posted by: upland_bill | December 8, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's past time for cyclists to start obeying the traffic rules on stop signs, red lights, and dangerous behavior. It's also past time for DC, Capitol and Park Service traffic police to start enforcing the rules, or some of them, or any of them.

Posted by: Kat33 | December 8, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: @ceefer66

Your comments clearly show the obvious: your're a smart-mouth kid long overdue for a good whallup.

This discussion is for adults. Get off the computer, do your homework and keep quiet when grown folks are talking.
--------------------------------

Thanks. I actually did what you said and went and did my homework. What I found was that in urban areas, a
an average of 2 pedestrians per year are killed from being hit by a bicycle, while 430 pedestrians are killed as result of being hit by cars.

Now it's math time. So, bicycles kill .4% of the amount of pedestrians that cars do. So less than a half of a single percent.

No wonder it makes the news when it happens. It's rarer than Beef Tartare.

Anyways, thanks for offering a "whallup" but I'm not into that sort of stuff.

Posted by: tk7slam | December 8, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Here's the problem bicycle riders fail to understand. Bicycles and cars are subject to the same "rules of the road".

99% of cards stop at red lights, so as a pedestrian I can reasonably assume that I will not get struck in a crosswalk. Maybe 20% of bicycle riders stop at red lights, and the vast majority of them plow through crosswalks, forcing pedestrians to stop to avoid injury.

We all know what it is. You think your smug, superior little toys make you special and you can go ripping around like a 12 year old, basically saying screw you to every other human because...oh, gasp...you're a BICYCLIST!

Did it ever occur to you that you're forcing MORE people into cars because in a car people don't have to risk injury from a bunch of little babies on their infantile "me-first mobiles"?

I completely understand bicyclists anger at vehicles that try to run them off the road or vehicles in GENERAL that have the capacity to kill them.

But WHY do you have that anger against pedestrians? WHY? All people are trying to do is walk across the street in a crosswalk to get from point A to point B, and they do not need some infantile weenie speeding ILLEGALLY through the crosswalk with a snide smirk on his face intentionally threatening them with violence. Do you not see that this is the EXACT same as a car or motorcycle speeding through a crosswalk?

In the past several times, I have been almost been struck by a car ZERO times while crossing with the green in a crosswalk. But I have almost been struck by a smirking cyclist illegally plowing through a crosswalk about THIRTY times.

Explain to me why that is. And don't tell me that it's a "minority" of cyclists that do that when we all know that's a complete lie.

And I'll tell you one more thing. More and more people are having ZERO sympathy for cyclist who get run over and even killed, and this is due solely to your own actions. Think about it, it you are able to.

Posted by: dionysianmadness | December 8, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Correction on above: I meant to say, "In the past several YEARS...", not the last several "times".

Posted by: dionysianmadness | December 8, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dionysianmadness | December 8, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

John Lennon died 30 years ago today. All he was saying was give peace a chance. I read your hatred and hostility towards each other and wonder if he might be better off not living to see this country the way it is today. All you need is love, but there are so many of you here who have none.

Posted by: thuff7 | December 8, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

1. Its a rarity for this type of accident. It doesn't make sense to impose restrictions on so many other decent bicyclists. However, the police should enforce a law and stop anyone riding recklessly to drive that type of bike rider off the streets. Most people are riding safely and considerately. Young punks, messengers, and some others can be reckless and there should be laws imposed to prevent them from thinking that a bicycle cannot be a dangerous weapon.

2. The DC police don't seem to be competent when they didn't go out and gather up whatever videos they could in the neighborhood to identify the BMX rider. As usual, they are incompetent and don't forward think. But, I hope they get trained in enforcing safe bicycling laws that protect everyone.

Posted by: oakland | December 8, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

As a year-round, law-abiding cyclist who's been hospitalized four times in seven years by car drivers with whom the police have never found fault, let me just say that I hope this BMX rider gets gets skinned alive. By "law-abiding," I mean I stop at stop signs and other traffic signals always, I signal turns always, I stay to the right on the road unless not doing so makes sense and is allowed by law, and on the way home tonight when it was 25* with windchill and the light turned red but there were ZERO cars around, I sat there and waited for the green because in DC/VA/MD if you break traffic law and get hit, even by a drunk driver who's speeding through a school zone buck-naked with a kidnapped heiress tied up in the trunk, the law says that you, the cyclist, share 50% of the blame with the car driver.

When I say I obey traffic law I mean exactly that, and I'm offended at being grouped together with the average cyclist, who has no respect for the law.

But with regard to this scumbag BMXer, he or she is precisely the reason why even when I've been rear-ended at a stop sign where I stopped and the car behind me didn't, the police will not write tickets on car drivers.

I've had my chest cut open so ER docs could insert a tube when my lung was collapsing (five broken ribs, a punctured lung, and no time for anesthesia) because a car driver failed to yield at an intersection where he had a stop sign and I had none. But still, no ticket for the driver because the presumption of guilt is on cyclists even when we're objectively not at fault. And the reason is idiots like this BMXer, bike messengers, and all the other lolligagging morons on two wheels who simply refuse to behave in a lawful, civilized manner. Guilt by association is a real beeotch, especially when you're on a gourney, the doctors are saying they're amazed your still alive, but the cops won't enforce the law because the scofflaw clowns so far outnumber the decent folk.

Society is at fault, too, for devoting so many resources to fighting wars for oil, gropings for air travelers, bailouts for fat cats, free food, housing, and health care for the deadbeats, "free" education for my wealthy neighbor's kids, and "art" (just to balance out the slate) instead of adequately funding, among other things, intelligent, competent police to proactively enforce the law and protect all of our lives, liberties, and pursuits of happiness. Memo to society: please master the basics before you try to tackle the advanced stuff.

The terrorists I fear most are my fellow Americans behind the wheel. I've got the hospital bills to back that fear up. This BMXer, though a completely irresponsible scofflaw who deserves all the protections Guantanamo has to offer, has not even come close to equaling the harm that car drivers cause every year.

My sympathies to the family of the deceased and injured. Please don't condemn all cyclists for this. The few of us who are law abiding share in your anger and grief.

Posted by: doompatrol | December 8, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

@ceefer66, bicycles are so much safer than cars. You're odds of being killed in a collision with a cyclists are about 1200 times less than in a collision with a car.

Bikes shouldn't be locally registered because there is a free national bike registry that is better for tracking stolen bikes. Registering is mainly for bicycle recovery. Cyclists shouldn't be insured because insuranace mainly exists to deal with property damage and bikes don't cause a lot of property damage.

@Forgetthis "Those bicyclists can be vicious, arrogant, and rude. Some of them ride right in the middle of traffic at 10mph knowing good and well they are holding cars up. And please, please don't happen to be walking in front of them. They might ring a bell as a 2-second warning to get out of dodge or else! "

Riding in the middle of the lane is the safest place to ride. Should cyclist ride some place unsafe to allow cars to go faster? Should safety take a back seat to expediency? Two seconds is plenty of time to be alerted that a bike is passing.

70sn80s, "It was only a matter of time before a tragedy like this occurred." Yes. 3.5 years. See you in 2014. "Cyclists constantly complain that we in cars do not share the road or extend to them the courtesy they deserve." That is because you don't share the road or extend the courtesy to us that we deserve. "Well, perhaps you guys could set the example by stopping at red lights and stop signs, and follow ALL traffic rules as you are required to do by law." This is not a quid pro quo. You must drive safely and legally. Not you must drive safely and legally unless you see cyclists acting unsafely in which case you can do whatever you like. As for "following ALL traffic rules" as we are required to do. Hello kettle, this is the pot. You're black.

Posted by: cranor | December 8, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Gee folks, can we get back to reality ? An elderly gentleman was killed by a speeding bicycle. How can the police track him down when there are no license tags to check. The only way to get him might be to come watch that corner at the same time and day of the week. Otherwise I wouldn't hazard a guess. My thoughts would have the prep tossed the clothes and changed his hair. It had to be an accident and should upset a sentient being but who knows. Meantime don't stir the pot of disension and hate. This was an unfortunate accident and maybe some PSA's about auto and bike safety would be helpful.

Posted by: lynnecatlover | December 9, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Since my youngest brother was killed, long ago, on a bicycle, I tend to be very sympathetic to, and careful around bicyclists. Over the years, however, I could not help but notice that many of them display rude and arrogant attitudes. While this is not, in my opinion, because they are pedaling, (no group has a monopoly on bad attitudes) it could be ramped up by excess adrenaline.
We all need to take stock of our own behavior, and, whether we walk, pedal or drive, become more aware of, and respectful toward each other.

Posted by: gridlocksmith | December 9, 2010 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Cranor - I do follow the traffic laws when I'm driving and I do not cut=off or otherwise endanger cyclists. I do not blow thru red lights and stop signs. I challenge you go to to the corner of Connecticut and L and watch the cyclists run red lights every single minute of the day. Just this morning, I watched from my office no less than 10 cyclists run red lights in less than a 15 minute time period. Red light running and stop sign running among cyclists is an epidemic. Just the other day I was crossing the street in the crosswalk WHEN I HAD THE SIGNAL in front of the Mayflower and was almost mowed down by a cyclist who glared at me for daring to cross the street when I had the right of way. Your post only reenforces the arrogance of the cycling community. The reckless behavior of the cycling community extends to jogging/biking trails. As an avid runner (50+ miles a week), I nearly get hit every week by some crazed nut on a bike. I have several running buddies who have gotten grazed. It is such a problem that even the park police occasionally deploy speed traps on the Capital Crescent trail to rein-in the out of control cycling community. It is Mad Max out there and it's about time the cycling community shoulder some of the blame.

Posted by: 70sn80s | December 9, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse