Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Fire in the fryer

My colleague Josh White had an interesting post last week about fire officials warning of the dangers of deep-frying a turkey. And lo, we find an example to prove their point.

Just after 3 p.m. Thursday, emergency responders were called to a home in the 1900 block of Fairlawn Avenue SE for a fire in the driveway. Turns out, the family’s deep fryer had boiled over as the family tried to heat up grease before throwing in the turkey, fire officials said.

The family cut off the gas, and firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, said Pete Piringer, a spokesman for the D.C. fire department. And perhaps the best news: the turkey sustained no damage, and the family was able to have Thanksgiving dinner as planned (though they did have to put the bird in the oven, according to Piringer).

-- Matt Zapotosky

By Matt Zapotosky  |  November 27, 2009; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Fires & Fire Safety , Matt Zapotosky , The District  | Tags: Thanksgiving, deep-fryer, fire, turkey  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Say, how'd you get that black eye?
Next: Someone else's bird in hand

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company