The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Naked-firefighter accusation probed

The D.C. fire and emergency services department is investigating an allegation that a male firefighter "may have disrobed" while cooking in a downtown firehouse kitchen after a retirement party, officials said.

The department began the inquiry after a complaint in August from within the department that the alleged activity happened the last week in July, spokesman Pete Piringer said in a statement released Thursday.

The probe includes allegations that high-ranking officials, as well as female firefighters or EMTs, may have been at the Northwest Washington firehouse during the incident.

A report on the alleged incident was first aired Thursday on WRC (Channel 4) and included a digital photo provided to the news organization by a source. The photo depicts a naked man in front of a stove, but it is not clear that the kitchen is in a firehouse.

Officials declined to identify firehouse.

Ray Sneed, president of the local firefighters union, said his organization would await the results of the investigation.

"That type of behavior has no business in the workplace," he said.

-- Clarence Williams

By Washington Post Editors  |  September 17, 2010; 1:01 AM ET
Categories:  The District
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Murder charge filed in fatal arson
Next: Boy, 16, shot dead in Hyattsville park

Comments

shesh! I cook naked all the time. Whats the big deal?

While the rest of the world deals with War, Famine, Diease, etc, We Americans live in constant fear of seeing a penis.

Grow up people.

Posted by: MarilynManson | September 17, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Cooking is one thing...frying...now thats another story altogether...

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | September 17, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

If it happened, I would suspect it was the result of losing a bet. I find it rather humorous myself. Fine the guy for poor judgment and move on.

Posted by: akchild | September 17, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Making mountains out of molehills. No pun intended.

Posted by: eunicedelrosario | September 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Great to know our tax dollars support such brainless play. The dude has no clue about personal hygiene, let alone appropriate behavior! And I bet he wants us to think of him as a 'professional'-NOT!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | September 17, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarilynManson

"shesh! I cook naked all the time. Whats the big deal?

People in this country get so offended over a little frontal nudity, it's ridiculous."

==================================

1. A firehouse is a government building, and with access to it by people of all sexes, it's not a locker room where you can walk around naked.

2. I've been to nude beaches, and I can assure you full frontal nudity is NOT something I want to see in public buidings, thank you very much. Regardless of the age and sex of a firefighter, nudity most often is not a welcome site. I had no idea women could have so much cellulite on their butts!

3. Cooking anything without clothes on is a safety violation. What happens if he gets burned? Workman's compensation.

Posted by: cibor | September 17, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

1. Even tho a fire house is a public building, the public does not have open access to the area where the firefighters sleep and eat and get dressed etc.
2. I've never heard of anyone actually being harmed in any way by merely seeing someone naked.
3. Cooking in polyester clothing or flammable clothing is actually more dangerous then cooking naked. The polyester can melt into the skin and be impossible to remove, yet I've never heard of anyone being arrested for cooking in polyester.

Posted by: MarilynManson | September 17, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I would have love to be there LOL...DC has some sexy Police and Fire Fighters "stop" hating and enjoy life!!!

It's not like he was out fighting a fire!!!

LOL

Posted by: shadon1 | September 17, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

It's not like he was out fighting a fire!!!

Hay Shadon1 am with you I love to have there too!! with an fire hose LOL.

Posted by: amazing2 | September 17, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

hey man sometimes you're putting out a fire and the main hose gets a kink in it so you gotta whip out plan B.

Posted by: nativedc | September 17, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

People need to lighten up. there are so many prudes in America, what are they so afraid of seeing a little nudity. I don,t understand why we are so high and mighty on people being nude. I say live and let live!

Posted by: reggie7 | September 17, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see him naked! I think firefighters are sexy.

Posted by: rpcv84 | September 17, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse