The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 2:30 PM ET, 03/11/2011

D.C. attorney charged in child sex sting

By Theola Labbé-DeBose

A D.C. attorney and former adjunct George Washington University Law School professor was arrested Thursday on charges of child sexual exploitation.

Richard Donald Lieberman, 64, of Bethesda, was arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents for allegedly emailing sexually explicit material to two Florida federal agents who posed as underage girls.

During two weeks in August 2010, Lieberman allegedly sent an agent who posed as a 13-year-old girl a photo of a naked man, ICE said. He also used sexually explicit language with an agent who posed as a 10-year-old girl and sent her links to Web sites that had pictures of male and female genitalia, ICE said in a statement.

Lieberman is listed as a principal at the District law firm McCarthy, Sweeney & Hathaway. According to his profile on the company Web site, he has worked at the firm since 1999 and his specialty is government contract litigation. He worked previously as a deputy inspector general for the Department of Defense and for the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee.

As an adjunct professor at the George Washington University Law School, he taught courses on advocacy. A university spokeswoman confirmed that Lieberman previously served as a part-time instructor. "He was last employed by GW in fall 2010."

In a statement, ICE officials said the agents were from Homeland Security Investigations in Tampa, Fla. and the investigation was part of Operation Predator, a nationwide initiative to curb child exploitation and possibly deport the offenders.

By Theola Labbé-DeBose  | March 11, 2011; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  Sex Crimes, Theola Labbé-DeBose
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man re-sentenced in terror case
Next: Two charged in separate DC slayings

Comments

Wow what an idiot...he deserves everything that is coming to him.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | March 11, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Good job FBI!!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | March 11, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"The State of Florida Attorney's Office charged Lieberman with six counts: two counts of receiving online statements for the purpose of sexual conduct with a child; two counts of using the computer to seduce a child; one count of transmitting harmful material to minors and one count of lewd or lascivious battery, ICE said. "

But the man had no contact with any child. all his emails were sent to undercover agents who were adults. There needs to be a new law that specifically makes it illegal to send adult material to another adult who is posing as a child.

I'm not saying what the man is supposed to of done was ok, but what he did is no where near the same as if he had done any of this with an actual child. And there should be a law to specifically address what he did and not just charge him using laws that do not apply 100%.

Posted by: MarilynManson | March 11, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I need to stop being a GAY karate instructress at Bladensburg Rec Ctr, yea me, Dr. Clifford Thomas, 6'2'' Black phonyMALE in PeeGeeCee, Md before someone NAILS me ans I make the news too.
Parents please stop me from reading your kids report cards in public to strangers and not be like the lawyer in this article.

Posted by: NoDocCliffThomasKarate | March 11, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dick, I bet you wish you had kept your mind off your dick.

Posted by: rpcv84 | March 11, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

how can you be a lawyer at this level and a law professor and be so utterly dumb? How many people here haven't heard of this many times before? How smart do you have to be to realize that if I'm "conversing" with you remotely and you can't see me, I could be lying about who I am? If I say I look like Eva Longoria and I want you to meet me at a hotel, and I'm a large balding obese man, are you really going to not realize that was a possibility going in? I can say I'm whatever I want on this keyboard. If you don't know me, you have know way to confirm until you do? Geez this guy is dumb. and MM, i usually agree with your points, but this one's a huge stretch. I'm sure that defense has been tried before. The intent here is obvious. That's like being charged with robbery with a dangerous and deadly weapon, and arguing that the weapon wasn't dangerous because it wasn't loaded. Loaded or unloaded, it's still armed robbery in every state in the union. guy's a prevert and dumb to boot, i feel no sympathy for him whatsoever. He's going to throw away his whole life at 64 because he want's to view or meet pre-adolescent children with sexual intent? He's pondscum, I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison.

Posted by: red2million | March 11, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I also don't like the fact that we have ICE agents sitting around chatting online pretending to be little girls when every time I drive past home depot I see dozens of men looking for day labor jobs who are most likely in this country illegally.

If ICE wants to do some undercover work, they should send someone in a pickup truck pretending they need their lawn mowed and see how many illegals they can catch.

Posted by: MarilynManson | March 11, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarilynManson | March 11, 2011 3:48 PM |

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | March 11, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"i really hope you are kidding. you can't seriously think that illegal day laborers pose a bigger threat than pedophiles."

Of course they don't, but it's ICE agents involved in this sting, why?

FBI, State Police, Local Police, yeah, that I can understand. Why Immigration? In this case the suspect is a US citizen, they aren't going to deport him.

Posted by: BEEPEE | March 11, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Some of you and the illegal issue. Both political parties have sold the USA down the river on this. Borders? What borders. Bush signed the borders away with the North American Union. Idiots.

Posted by: FiatBooks | March 11, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

There's a lot of child exploitation among illegals. Obama's said he'll deport felonious illegal immigrants (yeah, that's redundant, I know) so this ties in.

As for the attorney, it's really stupid to do what he did. It's also more than a little sick. Yeah, he got caught talking to grown men, but that doesn't mean grown men were the only people ever on the other end of his communications. You'd like think someone that age and in that station would know better, but obviously he did not.

Well, he probably has the contacts to hook up a top-notch attorney and the means to pay for it; he'll be OK. The harsh sentences are for the peons who rely on PDs (no disrespect to the hard-working PDs). Think of the guy who embezzled all those millions from the opticians and got a year. HE didn't have a PD, I'm sure.

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 12, 2011 12:48 AM | Report abuse

He believed he was sending the material to juveniles and because of that intent he should be found guilty...he wouldn't ahve communicated with them if he knew they were adults- his perversion is for children. Fry his butt...

Posted by: pennv | March 12, 2011 7:48 AM | Report abuse