Three hospitalized in Capitol Hill fire
Three people remain hospitalized after a fire late Thursday in an apartment building in Capitol Hill that displaced more than 40 residents.
A 79-year-old woman is in critical condition and a 25-year-old woman and a 64-year-old woman are in serious condition, said D.C. Fire/EMS spokesman Pete Piringer. One firefighter was injured -- but treated and released -- in the two-alarm blaze that broke out about 7:45 p.m. in the 1200 block of G St SE.
Piringer said the cause of the fire was accidental, stemming from a malfunctioning electrical appliance in the kitchen of the third-floor apartment where the 79-year-old woman lived.The other two people injured also lived on the third floor.
The property is managed by the D.C. Housing Authority. The housing agency and the Red Cross is assisting in the displaced residents .
| March 4, 2011; 12:10 PM ET
Categories: Fires & Fire Safety, The District, Theola Labbé-DeBose
Save & Share: Previous: Ohio man swigs beer during traffic stop: Report
Next: New assistant chief named for District police