1 dead, 5 hurt in Sunday Md. crash

UPDATE: Justin Xavier Dorsey, 17, of the unit block of Orchard Drive in Gaithersburg, died from injuries sustained during this crash at Washington Hospital Center at around 6 a.m. Monday morning

ORIGINAL POST: Montgomery County Police are investigating a Sunday evening crash that injured six people in the 15500 block of River Road in Darnestown.

A 17-year-old boy from Gaithersburg was driving a 2002 Toyota Echo carrying four other teenage boys.

The Toyota crossed the center line of the two-lane road at 5:49 p.m. and slammed into a 2009 Mercedes C63 being driven by Daniel Peter Schwartz, 31, of Burke, Va., officials said.

Schwartz was sent to Shady Grove Adventist Hospital and the driver of the Toyota was sent to Inova Fairfax Hospital. Both drivers suffered non-life threatening injuries, officials said.

Another 17-year-old boy from Gaithersburg was critically injured. He was flown to the Washington Hospital Center.

-- Phillip Lucas

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 28, 2010; 11:55 AM ET
Categories:  Montgomery , Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Intruder shot, killed in Forestville home
Next: Driver in deadly hit-and-run sought

Comments

When are they going to start enforcing the law regarding the number of passengers in a teenager's car?!? There never should have been 5 kids in this 17-year old's vehicle! Obviously this accident was caused by too many distractions for this inexperienced driver to handle. The parents should be made responsible for allowing it to happen.

Posted by: aktotlykrzy | June 28, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Once a Teen driver leaves the house... A parent has no way of stopping his friends from getting in the car... unless they follow them. I do agree that there are too many distractions for teens now a days when driving... texting, cell phone etc... I am 37, I did not have all of these distractions at 16/17. A parent only has control over so many things... they should not be held responsible. As a responsible parent to a teen is to educate them and show them the dangers of this situation as well as many other situations. the more you shelter your child the more they will rebel. My father was a MoCo cop (RIP) and it was the approach he took with me and luckily, it worked. My father always told me, you have two choices, the easy way or hard way. Though vague he said the choices you make not only affect you but others around you and you will learn by each choice (easy way or hard way)... sometimes the it's is a lot harder to chose the easy way. My heart goes out to the young teen who passed... I grew up in the Quince Orchard area.....

Posted by: rvanags | June 28, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree with "aktotlykrzy". WHERE ARE THE PARENTS!! Why are there 5 under-age teenagers in a Toyota econo box (a virtual death trap).

Posted by: jeanlucca | June 28, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

rvanags - I hear what you're saying and my respect to you and your dad, but it's the parents' responsibility to teach the child, as your father taught you.

There's a difference between sheltering your child from drugs, sex, and violence and teaching them to follow rules. Regardless of whether or not you're drinking under-age, you're smoking under-age, you're staying out past curfew, or you're driving with too many passengers in your car...the law is the law. End of excuses. Kids need to be taught to obey the law and respect authority. That lesson starts at home.

Turning 16 does not give a teenager the right to drive a car. If a teenager can't handle the responsibility then the parents should recognize that. If a teenager can't follow rules and obey (IMO) a very simple law, then they shouldn't be given the opportunity to break it. If the child hasn't been taught to stand up for himself and show that he's responsible enough to "just say no" to the so-called friends who are leading him in the wrong direction, then he isn't grown-up enough to be given the keys to the car.

As a parent, I take the opportunity to drill this stuff into my daughter's head every chance I get. She probably gets sick of hearing it, but at least I know she's listening.

My prayers to all the families involved. I'm not so righteous that I don't recognize how this is affecting them. If this tragedy helps to save another life then I'm sure, as parents, they'll take comfort in that.

Posted by: aktotlykrzy | June 28, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

If the teen killed was not the driver then that driver's parents better start saving up for a good lawyer...a civil suit is enroute...and hopefully the judge handling the traffic accident will drop the hammer on the driver...a message has to be sent some kind of way...

I understand parents can't monitor their kids when they are away but more vigilance has to be taken...but I also know parents today as a rule just let their kids have a car whenever they want after they obtain their license...a 17yr old does not need access to a car 24/7...and upon demand...sometimes it's good to just say to Johnny or Janie, "No" give the car a rest this weekend...

Life will still go on and they won't die for lack of a car...same for driving to school...excuses, excuses...

Posted by: pentagon40 | June 28, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

When my son was a senior in HS, one day after I had left for work and came home to find our 2nd car had been moved, he explained he missed his bus and drove to school...I asked him why he didn't call me to ask permission...his reply was he knew I would say "Yes" anyway...my answer to him was he had an obligation to ask anyway..

This was in the spring like April...which was his last time driving to school his senior year..it was either a ride with a buddy or the big yellow thingy...I or his mother couldn't have cared less....

Posted by: pentagon40 | June 28, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Before you blame the parents or the "texting kids," you might want to wait for the facts to emerge. And remember that a life was lost before you get all-knowing and point the finger of blame.

Posted by: LitLady | June 28, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Very sad and tragic and my heart goes out to the teen's family.

Having said that, I didn't even know you could fit 5 people in a Toyota Echo.

Those tin cans shouldn't be on the road, much less be driven by inexperienced drivers, much less with 5 of them in it. Sorry, but I'd rather save my family in my gas-guzzling SUV than the environment.

Posted by: Post43 | June 28, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Very sad and tragic and my heart goes out to the teen's family.

Having said that, I didn't even know you could fit 5 people in a Toyota Echo.

Posted by: Post43 | June 28, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

people drive like maniacs on that part of river road. surprised this doesnt happen more often.

Posted by: slim4 | June 28, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I am close to the family of the teen that was kiled in the car accident and my heart goes out to the family. Such a tragedy and I am deeply sadden.

Posted by: nmobley1 | June 29, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Let me start by expressing my deepest sympathies the family and friends of Justin. You are going through a loss no parent should have to go through.

To you haters and finger pointers - grow up, get a life, go hug your kids - do ANYTHING but point fingers.

We were about five miles from the accident when it happened; for a short period, a torrential downpour hit, and just as quickly, the storm had passed. The roads at the scene of the accident were still wet when we were detoured around the scene. The ambulance was just arriving at the Life-Flight helicopter as we passed through.

We will never fully know the cause of the accident. It was probably a mix of wet roads, an inexperienced driver, possibly too much speed (at least for the conditions) and sadly, failure to use a seat belt. Having five individuals in the car was probably a contributing factor as well.

But this is not about passing another law, this is about educating the kids to think for themselves. This is not about putting responsibility on the police, nor about pointing fingers at the parents. Hopefully, we can learn from Justin's death to help others from making a similar mistake. Teach our kids to buckle up, to slow down, to have the courage to say 'no, I can't take you, too' to a friend, to turn off the phone, to slow down in the rain and to just be more careful.

Tonight, I will try to start this process by talking about this accident with my 11 y/o, as she has asked me 2X a day if I had heard anything about the accident (she was really upset by what little she could see). And as I write this entry, I'm already struggling with "How do I tell her that a young man died in that accident?" which makes me realize how difficult it must be for the friends and family of Justin as they ask "Why did Justin have to die?".

I only hope and pray that we, as a community, can reach out to the kids in our lives and help them learn from this tragedy. May God grant you the strength to get through the next few weeks, for they will be the most difficult days of your life. May God grant your the comfort knowing Justin is in a better place, free from pain and suffering. And may God grant you the courage to share the tragic story of Justin's death with his peers, his classmates and friends, so that they will think twice before getting behind the wheel or get a ride in a friend's car.

Posted by: Disbelief | June 29, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Disbelief. It seems like you are one of the only few on here who actually thinks before they type. I am a close friend of Justin's and if you all just DID YOUR RESEARCH, you'd know that he WASN'T the one driving. So everyone else, quit pointing fingers and hating.

Posted by: Nightlight136 | June 29, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse