The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Boy, 9, dies in Va. motorcycle crash

A Virginia State Police spokesman says a 9-year-old boy has died in a motorcycle crash.

Sgt. Les Tyler says Robert Darwin Promer was a passenger on his father’s motorcycle when it collided with a pickup truck Saturday afternoon on state Route 612 in Orange County.

Tyler told the Culpeper Star-Exponent that Promer died at the scene and his father, 49-year-old Mark Promer, of Partlow, was injured.

The elder Pormer was taken to a University of Virginia Health System hospital.

Tyler says the pickup truck driver apparently didn’t see the motorcycle and turned into its path.

-- Culpeper Star-Exponent

This item has been updated since it was first published, fixing the spelling of Robert and Mark Promer's last name.

By Washington Post Editors  | October 11, 2010; 1:51 AM ET
Categories:  Traffic Accidents, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man charged in fatal 2007 shooting
Next: Robbery suspect flees after hose hit

Comments

I just don't understand how You cannot "See" a bright headlight coming toward You. Another senseless death of a motorcycle rider,someones child,and the "pickup" driver/operator will get a slap on the hand.
Bet when they start charging motorists with Manslaughter they will take a closer look.
Ride on & gods-speed

Posted by: dragcar61 | October 11, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I was very saddened to hear about this accident. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
Motorists need to pay more attention to motorcycles on the road, the excuse "I didn't see them" is ridiculous, I believe that they should be charged with manslaughter!

Posted by: hangingon | October 11, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Very tragic. My thoughts and prayers to the family of that young boy.

That being said, i'm not a huge fan of passengers, much less kids, on bikes.

To capsfan10....i dont know what to say. Besides...i hope nothing ever happens to your child as did this man. He has lost his child to a motor vehicle collision.

Think...post. It's easy once you do it once or twice. Your comments are mean spirited and uncalled for. Sometimes saying nothing is the way to go. Clearly in this case. Shame on you.

Motorcycles ARE ON THE ROAD!!! As a driver it is up to YOU to watch for them, and take care driving. The other vehicle DROVE INTO THE PATH of the bike. There was no mention of aggressive driving on the riders part, but negligence on the part of the automobile.

I can virtually guarantee the motorcyclist has had considerably more driving training that you.

Posted by: YYZCirocco | October 11, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I certainly agree that motorcyclists have considerably more driving training than most. But guess what, that doesnt change the fact who is going to live and who is going to die in the event of a collision. Thats why if cyclists want to live, then it is THEIR responsibility to watch out for vehicles, seeing as they have smaller blind spots and are much harder to see. I dont care who is at fault, if your driving a motorcycle and die, its your OWN fault.

Posted by: capsfan10 | October 11, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan10, you are the most ignorant person I've heard express an opinion in a long time. That says a lot about you considering all the stupid stuff that is said on the internet these days. You are very misinformed. To say the 9 year old deserved to die, when no one on the motorcycle did anything wrong is foolish. Riders who wear the proper gear pose a very small risk of dying in an accident compared to those that don't. For those that go out without helmets and jackets, sure, they are asking to get hurt. But someone that wears protective gear deserving to die because you're too bad of a driver to watch for other people. Yea, that makes a lot of sense. I suppose anyone that does anything to die deserves it then if there is some risk. Dirt bikes, cars, skiing, ski diving, etc.

Posted by: shortyj22 | October 11, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

And I'll quote a favorite song of mine to you in a separate post, since it may get removed. But considering what you said about a 9 year old boy, I don't see why.

"Have another drink and drive yourself home. I hope there's ice on all the roads. And you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt, and again when your head goes through the windshield."

Moron

Posted by: shortyj22 | October 11, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

To the person who wrote the negative comments about the 9 year old boy who died in the motorcycle accident- i could say a lot of negative things in response such as, you are truly a moron, idiot, and probably sitting all alone in your home with nothing better do do than make other people miserable. how could you post something so hurtful and cruel? You must have never seen the joy in a child's eyes to be doing something that they loved and bonding with your child. Do you realize the people that you've cause injury to? So I'm not going to be mean, I just pity you! By the way THAT IS MY SON!!! and for any that care, they were wearing the CORRECT protective gear, going only 35 mph when the pickup cut my husband off without a thought! We can lose our loved ones at a glance; walking across the street, a fall down the stairs. Do we wrap our kids in bubble wrap for their entire lives or do what GOD intended and let them LIVE?

Posted by: aksings12 | October 11, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

that was and still is my baby brother if you would have seen his beautiful face and talked to him for all of 2 seconds you would have seen that idiot. u are a complete stranger and he would have had a conversation with u about how his day was and try to make friends i bet ur an only child and have no family u had no right to post that. just because SOME people are reckless on motorcycles doesnt mean ALL are the ppl who are wreckless are young (NOT 49) and on STREET BIKES NOT A HARLEY they did not one thing to not one person to deserve that and for u to wish that upon my brother, my dad, or anyone U DO NOT KNO for that matter that just means ur a terrible person.you almost caused my sister another panic attack way to go moron. Thanks. u really made this loss and fight a million times harder for me and my family and for my brother and dad's friends!

Posted by: aksings12 | October 11, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm very sorry to you and your family for your loss. It makes me so sad to see stories like this, let alone people that are actually this horrible in the world. I'm sure your son loved to ride, just like I used to ride with my dad on atv's when I was a little kid. Memories I will never forget. I can't imagine what you're going through. You have my condolences. I'll definitely be thinking of you next time I'm on my motorcycle.

Posted by: shortyj22 | October 11, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

This is your step-mom. Don't let that idiot have any power over you, honey. He's a non-thinking, total moron. He has no right to post any kind of comment like that. There is not one compassionate bone in his entire worthless body (that's a quote from Daddy). He barely qualifies as human so his comments don't count and don't mean anything. We love you, your sister, and your Mom so much. Hang in there...we're here for you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Mom, Mark, and everyone. Daddy will be there in the morning.

Posted by: pilotgal | October 11, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to the family, but God will take care of you. I had a very tragic incident where I lost a child, and I know things are going to get worst before they get better. Some people know better and still act like they have no sense, but what goes around, comes around. Let the idiot make dumb remarks, it just shows he has no sense. God Bless Your Entire Family.

Posted by: wonder4real | October 12, 2010 6:01 AM | Report abuse

Capsfan10,
This has been a devestating blow to the 9 yr olds family. He was a sweet, loving boy and DID NOT deserve to die. For you to think that it was his fault, is completely idiotic. I guess you've never had someone cut you off while driving? People need to start paying attention and note that there are other people on the road besides them and yes that means motorcycles too. I have lost a brother to a motorcycle accident wherein he was rear-ended and now I have lost my nephew, YES MY NEPHEW - neither was their fault. If he was riding at 200 mph I would say he had a death wish, but he wasn't. He was with his father for God sakes. For you to think you can say these kind of hurtful things just shows that you don't have any common sense.

Posted by: chercomp | October 12, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Just learned of this tragedy. Words can not begin to express how I feel about Capsfan10's comments. Seems as though he/she wants to express that drivers of vehicles own the roads. I guess if you use that rational a semi-truck driver could say that 4 wheeled vehicles should yield to them and if they hit someone oh well it was their own fault. Newsflash.... the law of gross tonage does not apply when there are lives at stake. This is not some video game you moron. Everyone should be aware of the rules of the road and be fully aware when getting behind the wheel. Don't even let me find out that they were texting or using a cell phone!!! Just because you ride a motorcycle/ bicycle or are a pedestrian doesn't mean you have a death wish. To the family of the victims my heart goes out to you. You are in my prayers.

Posted by: nonab13190 | October 12, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse