Pedestrian dies in morning accident in D.C.

D.C. Police are investigating a fatal pedestrian accident in Southeast Washington.

The pedestrian was struck around 10:30 am at First and M Streets SE, according to authorities.

Emergency workers arriving on the scene found that the person had died, according to D.C. Fire/EMS officials.

No further details were immediately available.

-- Theola Labbé-DeBose

By Washington Post Editors  |  April 29, 2010; 1:38 PM ET
Categories:  The District , Theola Labbé-DeBose , Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ashburn businessman pleads guilty to $53M in bank fraud
Next: Pr. George's investigating man's body found in Bladensburg apartment

Comments

This woman was my neighbor. She was vibrant, intelligent, passionate, and caring, active in the schools and our community. She was the mother of two young children. This is absolutely devastating news.

Posted by: TakomaParkMD | April 29, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

You should always look both ways before crossing the street in DC. And always cross in a marked crosswalk. Not giving full time and attention and not being in the marked crosswalk contributed to her death. For your information this area is only blocks away from the Dept.of Transportation and Nat's Stadium. This area has a large amount of pedestrian traffic because it is very close to the metro stop. We are sorry for your loss.

Posted by: psa309 | April 29, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Not saying this is the situation in this case, but people walk in front of moving cars in DC as if they are invulnerable, they dare you to hit them. I truly cannot understand who would put their life in the hands of a stranger who may not be a good driver, or have good brakes, or have any compunction against running you over. In any case, my sympathies to her friends and family for her loss, being struck by a car is a horrible way to die.

Posted by: gbooksdc | April 29, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

rpcv84 - "Life in SE." You make is sound like SE is all one big 'hood.' Heck, half of 'The Hill' is in SE. Do you even know where M and 1st SE is? 1st and M is near the ballpark, the DOT, and several luxury apartment buildings. Look at a map before you generalize all of SE as place where someone must be speeding because of a drug deal gone bad.

Are there any more details on this? Everyone seems to assume that she wasn't paying attention, but could it be that she WAS walking on green, and perhaps someone turned into her, etc?

Posted by: dc603 | April 30, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

While I don't know this woman, we work in the same building. I had an identical tragic death in my family and it is difficult for everyone. My heart goes out to all involved. I work on the 7th floor and watched the DC Police do a phenomenal job of respecting her dignity and her privacy. I was very proud of them.

Posted by: twecg | April 30, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse