The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Three die in Forestville crash

Three men inside an SUV were killed early Thursday when their vehicle collided with a Prince George's County ambulance in Forestville, county police said.

The ambulance, which was not carrying patients, was badly damaged, but neither of the paramedics on board was seriously injured.

Police were investigating the accident, which occurred in the 5600 block of Marlboro Pike just after midnight.

The ambulance had recently left a fire station en route to an overdose call on Tanow Place, its lights and sirens on, according to authorities. It swerved to avoid the SUV, which was heading east in the westbound lanes, authorities said; the SUV hit a brick wall and a utility pole, rolling until it came to a rest on its roof about 120 feet from the site of the initial incident.

Police have identified those killed in the crash as Emmanuel Jones, 30, of District Heights; Andre Watley, 22, of D.C.; and Tony Burney, 35, of D.C. Sgt. Michelle Reedy, a Prince George's County police spokesman, said there is "no indication," at least right now, that drugs, alcohol or speed were factors in the crash.

The two paramedics who were in the ambulance were taken to a hospital to be evaluated and treated, said Cpl. Henry Tippett, a police spokesman.

Tippett told reporters that the SUV had crossed the double yellow line on Marlboro Pike and was headed for a head-on collision with the ambulance, which swerved to get out of the way.

The vehicles then sideswiped each other, causing significant damage. The medical equipment on board the ambulance was stripped from the vehicle and catapulted down the road.

This item has been updated since it was first published.

-- Matt Zapotosky, Clarence Williams and Debbi Wilgoren

By Washington Post Editors  |  September 16, 2010; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  Clarence Williams , Matt Zapotosky , Pr. George's , Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pr. George's men to face trial in Pa.
Next: Effort to save condemned Va. woman

Comments

I'm guessing 3 people no one will miss. Just a guess.

Posted by: upland_bill | September 16, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow, how mean.

Posted by: dbrad1 | September 16, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

And I'm guessing you're just as ignorant as your comment. Just a guess.

Posted by: paj132 | September 16, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

What is a utility poll? Isn't proper spelling a requirement to work at a newspaper?

Posted by: johnfchick1 | September 16, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing 3 people no one will miss. Just a guess.

Posted by: upland_bill | September 16, 2010 9:43 AM |
********************************************

Damn, that was cold and uncalled for.

Posted by: jbworldwide | September 16, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

You guess no one will miss....wow, if that's not the most ignorant thing....
It's small minded people who entertain ignorants until it happens to you or someone you love...or so I guess....

Posted by: rm52368 | September 16, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing 3 people no one will miss. Just a guess.

Posted by: upland_bill | September 16, 2010 9:43 AM

*******************************************

You probably can say this with such coldness because YOU are someone no one will miss.

Posted by: gitouttahere | September 16, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Alcohol involved? I'd bet the farm . . .

Posted by: ramona54 | September 16, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

This isn't the only recent mention in the post of "utility polls." I didn't realize people had such strong opinions regarding utilities.

Posted by: carlaclaws | September 16, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

This isn't the only recent mention in the Post of "utility polls." I didn't realize people had such strong opinions regarding utilities.

Posted by: carlaclaws | September 16, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Fast healing to the paramedics involved and thoughts and prayers for the family of the deceased. Thank goodness there wasn't a patient on board the ambulance, otherwise the paramedic in the back and the patient would both be dead right now too.

Please always keep Fire/EMS in your thoughts and prayers because they risk their lives everyday to save others.

Posted by: missyj1 | September 16, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

SUVs deserve to roll over multiple times. I used to drive a CRV and my 4th tire would lift up in curvy roads. Before you buy an SUV test drive it in a curvy road and practice avoidance maneuvers.
SUVS also make drivers more arrogant. I was rear ended by an SUV at a red light and the SUV driver ran away. His SUV was undamaged while my rear bumper was gashed. Cops came too late too find him. Where is Charles Bronson when you need him?

Posted by: jercha | September 16, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

In continuing the theme of so-called "ignorant" posts, I would like to venture that the SUV was stolen and the occupants were out for a joy ride. This really is not as ignorant as the Pollyannas online would like to think as incidents such as this happen every day.

Posted by: CubsFan | September 16, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing 3 people no one will miss. Just a guess.

Posted by: upland_bill | September 16, 2010 9:43 AM
-----------------------------
Karma is a bit**!

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | September 16, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree with CubsFan, seems quite odd that they would be doing all this during morning rush. Details to come I'm sure.

Posted by: lulu202 | September 16, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing 3 people no one will miss. Just a guess.

Posted by: upland_bill | September 16, 2010 9:43 AM

How dare you say something like that!! One of those young men was my daughter's brother!! She is devistated about this. That was cold and mean.
RIP Andre and YES WE DO MISS AND LOVE YOU!!

Posted by: ssj1126 | September 16, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing 3 people no one will miss. Just a guess.

-------

You'll live just long enough to eat those words.

Posted by: Insert_Name_Here | September 16, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing 3 people no one will miss. Just a guess.

-------

You'll live just long enough to eat those words.

Posted by: Insert_Name_Here | September 16, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

NO THE VECHICLE WAS NOT STOLEN. PEOPLE SAY MEAN THINGS UNTIL THE SHOE IS ON THE OTHER FOOT. THREE YOUNG MEN LOST THEIR LIVES TODAY AND ONE OF THEM IS MY DAUGHTER'S BROTHER WHO WAS DEARLY LOVED AND WILL BE TRULY MISSED. HE WAS A FATHER, BROTHER AND SOMEONE'S SON SO KEEP YOUR DUMB COMMENTS TO YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY. MY HEART AND PRAYERS FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY GO OUT TO THE FIRE/EMS WORKERS.

Posted by: ssj1126 | September 16, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@upland_bill........your a fuc2ing coward..probably from va

Posted by: wuzup_2010 | September 16, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

DONT FEED INTO THAT COWARD, THAT HEARTLESS ANIMAL WHO SAID SUCH HARSH WORDS! I WOULD LIKE TO SEND MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILIES OF THE VICTIMS INVOLVED! THAT IS SUCH A TRAGEDY AND VERY UNFORTUNATE! TO LOOSE ANOTHER BLACK MAN IS A TRAGEDY TO ME AND TO LOOSE 3 ALL AT ONCE IS EVEN MORE SADDER! MAY GOD BLESS THEIR SOULS AND GIVE THE FAMILIES STRENGTH TO GO ON..

Posted by: Seduction | September 16, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Seduction | September 16, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

It is confirmed that the SUV that crashed into the ambulance was stolen. I have inside information that confirms it so don't go denying it. If the occupants of that SUV wouldn't have stolen that SUV, this would have never occurred. Sad that lives were lost, but, when you go around committing crime, things like this are bound to happen.

Posted by: Chazo | September 16, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to Andre and his family! My son and Andre's brother Hilbert have been friends since 7th grade, my son is hurting. Tomorrow is NOT promised to anyone of us....

Posted by: pritinikki | September 16, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

upland_bill is nothing but a troll.

Posted by: mortified469 | September 16, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

wuzup_2010, you are probably a troll and a racist.

Posted by: mortified469 | September 16, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Seat belts? Probably not.

Posted by: nuke41 | September 16, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ssj1126 | September 16, 2010 1:06

------

My daughter's brother? In a normal world, that would make the young man your son. Guess not in your world of Baby Mama drama.

Posted by: topwomanexec | September 16, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if the Post will be taking a pole on weather it should turn the editing department over to a Middle School English class.

Posted by: snowbucks | September 16, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Appears that they were up to no good. Rolling done the wrong side of a street on to oncoming traffic.

I know they saw that emergency vehicle with its lights flashing. That god that those EMT's were not hurt.

Posted by: Special_One40 | September 16, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Let's be real here...2 guys in their 30's and one 22 in a vehicle traveling the wrong way..unless it was a medical emergency that caused this, something is awry...not saying drugs or speed were a factor but neither of the other two people corrected the driver...

In accidents of this nature I;m sorry for their demise but also relieved no other innocent bystanders were killed...sad all the way around....Just remember the lady killed on U st. while crossing the street with another friend when a vehicle jumped the median, killed her and plowed into an establishment...

Posted by: pentagon40 | September 16, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

It never ceases to amaze me how the idoits come to life during such heart breaking tragedies. Family members seek articles about their loved ones to try and understand how their life ended so suddenly. Even if you are speculating how this accident happened, please be mindful of the comments you seem compelled to make.

Yes, I too could use the term my daughter's brother when speaking of him. My former husband remarried and had more children. I too remarried and my husband has children. So you see, the first ignorant thoughts that come to mind could be far off from whom this mother is referencing.

To my fellow Washington Post readers, just remember, it could easily be you or your family reading about a loss of life. Not something I would ever want to befall you, but the world has a way of humbling those who have the "no, not happening to me syndrome".

To the families of all involved, I send my prayers for strength during the difficult days of recovery and grief. I am so sorry you have to read such hurtful comments from people who know nothing about you or your loved one.

Posted by: Ross65 | September 16, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

PG county is a killing field. The youths in that county have no respect for life if you disagree just read the headlines in this paper. I lived in that God for saken town and I was not safe one day, and I lived in the so called "safe area". Crime runs rampent and this tragic case proves my point. i gotta greew with some other posts that these three were up to no good plain and simple and they paid the price for it. Awful just awful iam so glad i was able to get out of that terrible county.

Posted by: efdelaney | September 16, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: efdelaney | September 16, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

3 men with criminal records no doubt. I think the police had been looking for this vehicle for awhile.

Posted by: afropuff_03 | September 16, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

TBD.com/ABC7 is reporting that the driver had recently purchased the car.

Posted by: dcnative71 | September 16, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: topwomanexec | September 16, 2010 3:41 PM

@topwomanexec:Duh if he was my son I would have said so. It is obvious there are two different mothers but the same father. Your comment did not make since and just because you have a child by someone does not mean the two of you will live happily ever after. Also, there was never any baby mama drama!!! That is not always the case in the African American community. Andre's mother loved my daughter as her own and vice versa. The two of us have always got along even until this day!

The whole situation is a tragedy resulting in the lost of three young men, the EMS workers, and the families including my daughter. People really need to think before they blog and be more carefull with their choice of words.

@ Ross65: Thank you for kind words and clearing the air. Some people need you to spell out stuff to them.

Posted by: ssj1126 | September 17, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse