Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Arrest in 2009 D.C. double killing

D.C. police announced an arrest Tuesday in one of the most violent shooting incidents in the city last year: an outburst of gunfire on Clay Terrace NE in which two teenagers were killed and three others were wounded.

Police said they arrested Paul Riggins, 18, and charged him with two counts of manslaughter. He was also charged with conspiracy and carrying a pistol without a license, police said. No address was given for him.

In reporting the arrest, police said Riggins was the 11th suspect to be arrested and charged in the past two weeks in connection with a homicide in the city. The department was doing pretty well, said Lt. Nicholas Breul, a police spokesman.

The shooting on Clay Terrace occurred about 4 p.m. on Oct. 13, 2009, at a housing complex in the 5300 block. One of those slain was identified as 15-year-old Davonta Artis. He lived in the 300 block of 54th Street, NE.

The second homicide victim was identified as Daquarn Tibbs, 18, of the 200 block of 37th Place SE.

At the time of the incident, police said they believed that it was a drive-by shooting that might have stemmed from an ongoing dispute between rival neighborhoods.

Artis was described by police and law enforcement sources as a middle school student and an innocent bystander in the crossfire of rival groups.

The sources said at that time that tension between the groups may have stemmed from a belief that guns and money had been stolen from one of the groups.

At the time of the shootings, a law enforcement source said members of a group from the area of 37th Place SE may have gone to Clay Terrace to get back what they believed was taken.

After a sport-utility vehicle arrived at Clay Terrace, occupants got out and exchanged words with teenagers there, sources said.

“They wanted the guns back,” a source said. “That’s when the bullets started flying.”

Sources said law enforcement personnel found three handguns at the scene. They said shell casings were found that indicated shots had been fired from at least four guns.

Police said the incident was still under investigation.

-- Martin Weil

By Washington Post Editors  |  August 4, 2010; 1:46 AM ET
Categories:  Homicide , Martin Weil , The District , Updates  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Homeland Security: Be vigilant
Next: Arrest in January D.C. shooting death

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company