The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 5:21 PM ET, 12/28/2010

Man ordered held in son's death

By Keith L. Alexander

A Baltimore man Tuesday was ordered held in D.C. jail on first-degree murder charges related to the 2009 beating death of his seven-week old son.

Magistrate Judge Kimberley S. Knowles ordered Hiawatha A. Henry, 18, held in jail until his next court appearance on Jan. 19. Prosecutors charged Henry with beating his seven-week old son, Hiawatha Jackson, which resulted in his son lapsing into a coma and, within a day, dying from his injuries.

According to D.C. Superior Court documents, on Aug. 30, 2009, Henry was baby-sitting his son and another infant at the children's mother's house in the 1800 block of Bryant St. NE.

Henry allegedly told police both infants began crying at the same time, according to documents. Henry told the officers he put a pacifier in the mouth of one of the infants and placed the infant in a crib. Henry said he then took out a bottle and began feeding Hiawatha, who was in his arms.

Henry then began playing a video game, according to the documents. While holding Hiawatha, Henry said, he sat on the edge of a futon. The futon then tipped over and Henry told homicide detectives he dropped his son on the floor as he tried to regain his balance.

During the fall, Henry said, his son's head struck the rail of the futon and his son fell on top of a video game controller that was on the floor.

According to a medical examiner's report, Hiawatha died of abusive head injuries with a brain contusion and ruled the injuries were "non accidental."

By Keith L. Alexander  | December 28, 2010; 5:21 PM ET
Categories:  From the Courthouse, Keith L. Alexander, The District, Updates  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Police: Man kills would-be robber
Next: Woman faked kidnapping to test husband: Report


Why did it take so long for an arrest? A little investigation, Washington Post.

Posted by: darrren12000 | December 28, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh my supposedly dropped your kid from a futon and he sustained fatal injuries? Yeah sure...
How high is a futon from the floor? Less than a foot probably.
That isn't even believable let alone probable.
I know when watching my son when he was an infant I just skipped the video games.
This is why idiots simply shouldn't reproduce.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 29, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Sad what happened, but if the medical examiner wasn't in the house how do they know that this wasn't an accident? It just seems funny that he would beat a child that's his, but not the other child. I have a funny feeling that he will get out once everything comes to light.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | December 29, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

characters remaining

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company