The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Man who found Levy's remains testifies

The man who first found some of Chandra Levy's remains in Rock Creek Park testified in D.C. Superior Court Wednesday that the police officers who responded to his call "traipsed" up and down the site, making light of the find and acting unprofessionally.

It was "appalling," said Philip Palmer, 50, on the witness stand. Palmer appeared as a witness for the government in the trial of Ingmar Guandique, the man charged with killing Levy.

Palmer said he was walking his puppy and looking for turtle shells on May 22, 2002, when he made a startling discovery near the Western Ridge Trail.

"I found a skull," he explained under questioning by Assistant U.S. Attorney Amanda Haines.

Palmer said he walked about 100 yards to a construction site to find a phone and call police. His 911 call was played back for the jury.

"I'm at 4630 Broad Branch Road," he told the dispatcher. "I was walking my dog in the woods this morning and I came across a human skull."

After taking some additional information, the dispatcher sent an officer to meet Palmer. Having used his dog's leash to mark the spot he discovered, Palmer took the officer back across the creek to the show him what he had found.

Soon, more police officers arrived. Some of them joked about the discovery and wandered carelessly about the scene, Palmer testified, not specifying which police agency or agencies was present.

The missteps of the police in the Levy case, which began in the early days of the investigation, have been well documented. They were expected to be a key obstacle for prosecutors, whose is case is built on cricumstantial evidence and the accounts of informants.

As Palmer recounted the events, a blurry photograph showing some part of Levy's skull was projected onto a large screen facing the jury.

It was Exhibit 422.

Chandra Levy's mother, Susan Levy, who had attended each day of testimony, shook her head, clenching her eyes closed.

-- Henri E. Cauvin

More on this story: Full coverage | Major events | Key players

By Washington Post Editors  | October 27, 2010; 2:12 PM ET
Categories:  Chandra Levy, From the Courthouse, Homicide, The District, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suspect hurt on day Levy disappeared: Landlord
Next: Pair accused of drug-making released

Comments

"whose is case is built on cricumstantial evidence and the accounts of informants."

Its so funny how many grammatical errors I read on a daily basis on this website. Keep up the good standards and be proud of your product, Washington Post.

Posted by: TenthLetter | October 27, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TenthLetter | October 27, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

This whole case is appalling, in so many ways.

Posted by: whytehs | October 27, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Cops in general are not super human. Many brite but not overbrite. Not always aware of what they are looking at. This may have been a dead junkie. Had they known It was Chandra, They may have acted differantly. Appalling? Not really.

Posted by: nextonuthin | October 27, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

When my place in Dupont was robbed (a year or two before Chandra Levy went missing), the police were similarily useless. The fingerprint guy said he couldn't get anything of use because of all the manhandling of the place by the police--who didn't look for the guy or my stuff. They acted totally bored.

Posted by: JulyAugust | October 27, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

It was a skull. A skull, not a body. Not even a whole body. That means it had been exposed to the elements long enough to remove skin, flesh, and hair. Just what did Mr Palmer expect the police to do? Did he think that the police should have immediately connected the skull to Chandra Levy?

Posted by: Jimof1913 | October 27, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

DC cops should change their name to the Keystone Cops!!! The last time I got robbed, I called the DC cops, the idiots let the robber go, and threatened to arrest me!!!

Posted by: Kcrl1 | October 27, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

When the Chandra case broke in 2001, I recognized Condit on TV right away, even though, at first, he wouldn't speak out loud.
I called, faxed, wrote and everything the DC PD with that M.O. (Dismembered body, parts missing [souvenirs], soft parts flushed down the toilet, well bled through the bathtub drain, head kept for a while as a sex toy, then smashed, the eyes poked out, feet tied with underwear, then hauled off in heavy duty trash bags, 3 of them, the head found nearly cleaved in two at a separate place - They ENJOY what they do & get Police and Political support - That's how Condit found a patsy in advance, Guandique, from government data bases, I am sure.
I told them this and more IN ADVANCE of Chandra's body being found just like that in plastic trash bags, having been transported & dumped by way of car trunk..
Can you convince me Grandique raped & killed her, had the foresight to bring black trash bags and such tools, dismembered her, and hauled them up to the top of a valley from the jogging trails? Even the Prosecutors now say she was killed elsewhere and the remains dumped there.
Condit and a love affair? No, there are reports that Chandra worked for DC "Madam" Deborah Palfrey & please note that both she & Brandy Britton (See their 1977 photos on my website) recently "Hung themselves." How convenient.
To this day, authorities ignore me (But surveil me like crazy), - this travesty of Justice is merely to protect somebody or somebodies high-ranking. Grandique's own defense lawyers won't call nor subpeona me, even.
No wonder it's such a high-ranking cop testifying what he did, on Tuesday.
http://www.rickhyatt.freeservers.com for 1977 photos of Condit & I sharing a British Army barracks room in Duesseldorf. How the CIA figured he was going to infiltrate Congress with his "Services," and now you know why... It's so blackmailed by foreign & hostile powers.
And this MUST be covered up to protect The Powers Who be from the upcoming elections.

Posted by: rickahyatt | October 27, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

With all the unsolved cases and missing persons on the rolls in DC, you would think finding a skull would put them on high alert as far as contaminating a site...Just common sense....

And how are they charging the suspect with rape in this case when only skeletal remains were found....???? Just asking....

Posted by: pentagon40 | October 27, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

This poor family. God be with them. I really hope DC detectives get it together. Were this my family member, I would be appalled and enraged.

Posted by: brandip_77 | October 27, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Is the real reason this travesty of Chandra Levy's murder trial, this coverup, in order to hide Gary Condit's "Disposal Svc. Client List" until after the elections?http://www.rickhyatt.freeservers.com/pages/Gary%20Condit%20murder%20confession%20transcript.html is where you will find "The Condit Transcript," a report I made in 1977 to my Intelligence Officer boss, which he counter-signed and was sealed. This was after I'd witnessed the Gary Condits (plural) dispose of a "Sexual Political Embarrassment" at their Ipswitch flat in UK. While I was in US Army MI as an enlisted man and utilized as an espionage operative under the Dir. Ops, CIA.
No wonder it's such a high-ranking cop testifying what he did, on Tuesday.

Posted by: rickahyatt | October 27, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Mkadyman, are you an ACORN agent, who like hordes of them in Red China, get paid 25 cents per ridicule of competing political thought?
I'll give you FIFTY cents to just leave me alone.

Posted by: rickahyatt | October 28, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse