Charges dismissed in student death

A judge has dismissed an involuntary manslaughter charge against a 23-year-old Roanoke man who ran over a Virginia Tech student from Olney.

Aaron Pierce was charged in the November 2005 death of Brian McCloskey, who died several days after Pierce struck him with a borrowed Ford Excursion after a party.

Pierce entered an Alford plea in 2007, in which he maintained innocence while admitting there was enough evidence to convict him.

Montgomery Co. (Va.) Circuit Judge Bobby Turk ordered him to spend 30 days in jail, perform 300 hours of community service and attend alcohol-safety classes.

Pierce lost his license for 12 months and paid $12,800 to McCloskey's family for his funeral expenses and gravestone.

The charge was dismissed Monday after Pierce had completed the court's requirements.

-- The Roanoke Times

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 23, 2010; 8:26 AM ET
Categories:  From the Courthouse , Schools , Updates , Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Persistent detective among Md. honored
Next: Attempted abduction in Manassas

Comments

Hummm drunking white boy kills and gets community service.

How many minorities with drunking offense that did not injury or kill anyone severed more time in jail?

Typical well connect politics in MO County slap the good hardworking white boy on the wrist and level the hardest penalites for the same crime on the minorites.

WAPO do some investigating reporting and share the numbers with your readers.

Posted by: B4DarkDC | June 23, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

yes b4dark, all decisions made in court rooms in this country are based on race. Check the MD guildelines for sentencing and they have recommended sentences for whitey and then they have this - "Add a number of months or years of 19.6% for blacks." I commit crimes, and then when I show up in court and they see I'm white, they just dismiss it all and say it must have been a misunderstanding. remember the 14 million black men in prison in this country aren't guilty of doing anything wrong, they're all the victims of the whitey conspiracy.
Sentences aren't based on race genius, they're based on the crime, criminal history and how good your lawyer is. I can say one thing, if I were black i'd play the race card every single time I didn't get my way. Exxon/Mobil won't hire be as their CEO simply because I don't have a degree? I'd sue and say it's because I'm black. yessiree bob, must be nice to have a built in excuse. I'se a victim cuz i'se black. get over it. Clarence Thomas is black. Anita Hill is black, and I loved it when she said basically what I just wrote above. Quit using being black as an excuse and get off your duff is what she said. The president of the United States is black. seems to me if you're black and you're poor, locked up, whatever it's on you. but at least you can blame it on your blackness if you can convince anyone else and it makes you feel better.

Posted by: red2million | June 23, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

This happened in Virgina, not Maryland.

Posted by: jckdoors | June 23, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

KILLING a human being while operating a motor vehicle carries no serious penalty. No more than running over a dog.

But I WOULD like to know whence that bargain $12,800 funeral came.

Posted by: perryneheum | June 23, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"Sentences aren't based on race genius, they're based on the crime, criminal history and how good your lawyer is."
-Posted by: red2million

red2million... you are blind if you do not see the large racial discrepancy in our criminal justice system. For example, despite the fact that less than 20% of those arrested on drug charges are African-American, they constitute over 60% of those incarcerated for comparable charges to their white counterparts. Also look at the 100 to 1 cocaine sentencing disrepancy... if that isn't racially motivated then I don't know what is.

Further, race and poverty are intertwined. Who gets the good lawyers... the people with the most money. The majority of those people happen to be white. The problem is systematic inequality as a whole.

You conservatives need to get off your high-horses and stop denying the existence of institutional racism.

Posted by: dajew405 | June 23, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Check out these articles, red2million

Precisely what is your involvement in the legal system? If so, I would love to hear how your professional experience has helped to shape your opinion.

Posted by: dajew405 | June 23, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

dajew405 my involvement in the legal system has been varied. I work as a paralegal in my current job, and have worked in halfway houses and prisons for many years before that. here's a conversation I have heard between two black convicts on more than one occasion, verbatim:
"Wuddup homey?"
"Oh, you know, these white folks got me up in here."
A total copout and crock and taking no responsibility. Oh, so you're innocent, you've done nothing wrong, and you're really only here because you're black and the white man is out to get you? It has nothing to do with the fact that you're a career thug and have been committing crimes for years? When you were in juvie, and then in the county jail, and then graduated to prison, it was all lies? sorry, don't buy it.
I totally grasp the disparity in our justice system. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that justice is anything but blind, and there's rich man's justice and poor man's justice, just as unfortunately there is rich man's medicine and poor man's medicine. My original post was attempting to make the point that the defendant in this case didn't get the sentence he did because he's white as was the allegation of another poster. I'm sure there are a lot of white people who have been railroaded too. My other point is life is what you make it, and if you screw it up you pay the penalty regardless of skin color. I get sick of hearing people blame their problems on the color of their skin. A couple of years ago a woman in my office was fired for being rude to customers on the phone, and she immediately started screaming how she'd sue because she was being fired because she was black. No, she was fired for being stupid and rude and incompetent and not doing her job the way it should be done. She tried to sue, but it was quickly tossed out as the court saw it for what it was. When I was in management at my last job I needed to fill six positions. I hired five women, four of them black, one Indian, and one white man, and I had to fight labor relations for weeks because I had the audacity to hire a white man over a black woman, despite the fact that the man was clearly more qualified.
I'm in total agreement that there are times when race is a legitimate issue, and even at times when it shouldn't be a factor. But I get sick of people who use it for an excuse. Also, there are people on these message boards who do two things that drive me crazy. no matter what the topic they turn it into either obama is a socialist commie, or must be because of the person's race. Sorry, but I can't grasp the concept of viewing every single occurence in life as a referendum on obama or on race. What in this article compels one to address the issue of race? is there something I'm missing in this article that states that the defendant got special treatment because he's white? I don't think so.

Posted by: red2million | June 23, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it funny how the bigot who "owns" this blog only posts what they want to post!

Posted by: TheChampishere | June 23, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

well, that was the fastest deletion of any post I've ever put out, guess most of the "civilized" world doesn't agree that men should stand up to other men who disrespect them. It's okay for you to make disparaging remarks about my mother, but when I tell you what I'd do if you did so to my face, I guess the pansies on here aren't ready for that. That's fine, just proves my point for me. And I don't care who has a problem with anything I say, posters, wapo, whomever. I'm a democrat, but I'm not a wussie, sorry, guess I just don't fit in with this crowd. What would the blogger or the posters here do if someone made a derogatory comment about their mother to their faces? I'll tell you what you'd do. Hang your head and do nothing, because you can't do anything about it. men who can't defend themselves are pansy wussies, all there is to it.

Posted by: red2million | June 23, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse