The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Va. death sentence appeal denied

The U.S. Supreme Court has denied the appeal of a jail escapee who killed a hospital guard and a sheriff's deputy in a rampage that set off a manhunt near Virginia Tech.

William Morva appealed his 2008 capital murder conviction and death sentence in the death of hospital security guard Derrick McFarland and Cpl. Eric Sutphin in August 2006.

The Virginia Supreme Court last year rejected Morva’s claim that he should have been allowed to present an expert’s testimony on whether he would endanger guards or fellow inmates if the jury sentenced him to life in prison without parole.

The U.S. Supreme Court refused Monday to hear the appeal, as first reported by The Roanoke Times on Wednesday.

Morva was in jail awaiting trial on attempted robbery charges when he was taken to a Blacksburg hospital for treatment of an injury. He overpowered a Montgomery County sheriff’s deputy in the hospital and used the deputy’s pistol to shoot unarmed security guard McFarland, 32.

Morva shot Sutphin, 40, one day later on a walking trail near the Virginia Tech campus, which had been shut down on the first day of classes as police tracked Morva.

“This horrific crime has been tried in our courts and upheld on appeal at the highest level,” Montgomery County Sheriff Tommy Whitt said in a statement. “This is evidence of justice being done in our courts.”

Montgomery County Commonwealth’s Attorney Brad Finch said he, too, was pleased with the Supreme Court’s refusal to hear the case.

“This decision by the U.S. Supreme Court concludes a very important part of the appeals process, and it represents an important step towards justice for the victims and the victims’ families,” Finch said.

Morva’s attorney, David I. Bruck, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Related link: Database of Virginia executions

-- The Roanoke Times

By Washington Post Editors  | October 7, 2010; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  Death Penalty, From the Courthouse, Virginia  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Explosives found in Dist. Heights home
Next: Deadly hit-and-run in D.C.


Good! His chances of future recidivism will be non-existent!

Posted by: PGneedsaccountability | October 7, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

good riddance!

Posted by: 10bestfan | October 7, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I sense a comfy gurney and a needle in his future.

Posted by: ronjaboy | October 7, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I sense a comfy gurney and a needle in his future.

Posted by: ronjaboy | October 7, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I sense a comfy gurney and a needle in his future.

Posted by: ronjaboy | October 7, 2010 11:16 AM

A pine box and a .38 caliber slug would save a lot of money...

Posted by: damnit79 | October 7, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

While I don't doubt this guy's guilt, it wasn't exactly fair to hold the trial in an area (Abingdon, VA) that receives the Roanoke Times which reported about the case at length.

Posted by: slydell | October 7, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

characters remaining

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company