FedEx Fast Lanes? For Shame!

I do hope you'll agree with me that the Redskins' latest premium "perk" (detailed below) is one of their most ridiculous yet, and not in the usual evil genius sort of way. If your eyes light up when you read about it and you find yourself exclaiming, "Holy Dan Snyder, it's brilliant!" then I have nothing to say to you.

From NBC 4:

For a fee, fans can enter FedEx Field ahead of the rest of the crowd. It's done with the same smart-card technology some travelers use to expedite their passage through security at area airports.
For a $100 annual fee, Redskins fans can apply for a Washington Redskins Flo card that will allow them to enter the stadium through fast lanes.
In order to get the wallet-size card, fans will have to be fingerprinted and pass a federal background check.
The fast lanes will still have security pat-downs.

When I first skimmed the story, I thought they were talking about express road lanes to get in and out of the FedEx Field parking lot. Holy Dan Snyder, it's brilliant!, I thought to myself. Call me crazy, but I'd throw down $100 in a heartbeat to avoid that excruciating postgame gridlock.

Upon further inspection, it became clear that the Washington Redskins Flo card is not for road lanes at all, but for those little lines outside of the stadium. You know, the lines you wait in for five minutes, tops, until someone checks your ticket, pats you down and you're off. Those lines.

Am I missing something here, Dan Snyder/Redskins/anyone? Please advise (or rant; I'd enjoy that just as much).

By Lindsay Applebaum |  August 1, 2008; 2:41 PM ET  | Category:  Redskins
Previous: Featured Commenter: Nate in the PDX | Next: Guest Column: Alex35332

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

WOW! The Dan has lost his damn mind.

Posted by: jm220 | August 1, 2008 2:47 PM

Holy Dan Snyder! The game day experience of traffic, lines, and crowds has become worse and worse every year in large part because of the extra 15,000 tickets the Redskins now sell over when the stadium first opened. Now they want an extra $100 to alleviate the problems they caused! Heck no. Quite honestly, I have an amazing basement and 65 inch HD TV that I'll start using full time as soon as the FedEx pain becomes too unbearable to put up with.

Posted by: Papa Smurf | August 1, 2008 2:54 PM

I have no problem with this actually. If people are dumb enough to pay for that then I think the skins have ervery right to take advantage of stupid people with too much money.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 1, 2008 2:56 PM

Hey Applebaum you get my email?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 1, 2008 2:57 PM

Yes I would have to re-write a line or two for next week:)

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 1, 2008 3:23 PM

This is the greatest thing ever for us Cowboys fans. With every passing day Daniel Snyder makes Jerry Jones look better and better.

Posted by: StikSav | August 1, 2008 3:40 PM

I thought I was the one making Jerruh Jones look better?

Posted by: Plastic Surgeon | August 1, 2008 4:26 PM

who cares, i'm not driving in the clusterFart traffic to go to a game. who wants to spend an hour and a half in traffic to get there and two hours to get out + you drive home? i grew up as a redskins fan but not anymore. but hey you can pay $100 to skip the major lines and wait in the express line with the other dummies.

Posted by: MNMNT | August 1, 2008 4:29 PM

Now this would make real sense...a Washington Redskins FloMax card. It would allow you to bypass the line at the restroom and take a leak without missing the entire 3rd quarter.

Posted by: SMACK | August 1, 2008 5:10 PM

This is a 6 Flags trick....they sell these at theme parks so you can get through lines faster....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 1, 2008 5:32 PM

More gratuitous Snyder bashing from the Post. No one is required to buy a pass, it's just an option for fans with plenty of cash who want to avoid standing in line with the likes of PowerBoater and crew.

Posted by: PB | August 1, 2008 5:37 PM

This silliness diverts our attention from this larger issue:

Dan Synder's legacy as the Redskins owner will be that he provided to us The Best Five Hundred Football Team That Money Can Buy.

Posted by: W Bee | August 1, 2008 6:01 PM

I'm not sure this is all that rediculous, they do it at a bunch of airports now for security lines. Its kind of the same idea.

I'd like to see the Dead Tree Crew get through airport security though.

Posted by: JDP | August 1, 2008 7:09 PM

What's next a annual fee to make a trip to the bathroom!

Posted by: David | August 2, 2008 8:12 AM

Instead of spending an extra $100 a season I'll continue to enter the stadium about an hour and forty five minutes before kickoff.

There's no line then and I have to wonder about the people who think they can head for their seats 15 minutes before kickoff and not have to stand in a long line.

Posted by: Caps Nut | August 2, 2008 8:58 AM

You are all missing the point...the $100 FLO Redskins card gets you to the front of the line at 21 airports across America. Airport Security in 5 minutes or less ALL THE TIME. The Fedex Field access is just a perk of the card.

Posted by: Unlisted | August 3, 2008 6:35 PM

....at DCA, IAD and soon BWI. Try getting through IAD in the afternoon in less than 5 mins without a FLO card.

Posted by: Unlisted | August 3, 2008 6:37 PM

Oh, you say it's only a "five minute" wait to get in now. I suspect those people without Flo cards will be waiting a lot more than five minutes in the future.

Dan IS brilliant.

Posted by: Josey23 | August 4, 2008 12:17 PM

Sorry for being late to the game. Sometimes I get busy at work and didn't know you were back. Welcome back!

I'm between Alex and Josey's opinions on this one. I think that The Dan has every right to exploit the Redskins fans' idiocy and lack of thriftiness to his advantage. After all, the Redskins have to stay ahead of the Cubs, Yankees, Cowboys, Giants and Manchester United as the most valuable sports franchise and The Dan is just the guy to do it.

That said, he will purposefully make things worse for those who don't pay his $100 fee (perhaps a random TSA style security screening for every fourth fan in the "regular people" line). For that, he should be punished.

Posted by: Andy | August 4, 2008 12:37 PM

Well, Snyder and his minions have to somehow justify spending 18 hours/day holed up in Redskins Park. So, every couple of months, they come up with some money making scheme to suck more of the fun out of being a Skins fan. Must be very sad lives Snyder et al. live.

Posted by: Darth Snyder | August 4, 2008 1:10 PM

For me, waiting in line is all good.

Actually it's pretty obnoxious how long it takes to get into that FedEx, but I'm usually a) so drunk from the tailgate I don't care or b) so excited for the game at hand that I don't mind slowing down to look around at my 90,000 fellow Redskins fans and appreciate my surroundings.

But I suppose if I was rich, I'd probably pay a bill to get in quicker.

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | August 4, 2008 2:27 PM

Gotta give The Danny credit: he can monetize ANYTHING. What's next? Express lines at the men's room?

While it does seem that he's finally learning how to keep his hands off of the football team, he'll never be accused of being fan-friendly. Jack Kent Cooke he damn sure ain't!

Posted by: Music Lover | August 4, 2008 10:24 PM