Turnbull Indicted

Jayrece Turnbull, one of the alleged co-conspirators in the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue embezzlement case, was indicted today by a Maryland Grand Jury on a count of cashing a $410,000 check in funds stolen from the D.C. government. Turnbull is the niece of Harriette Walters, the former tax office employee who allegedly masterminded the scam in which she and a co-worker created and issued bogus property tax refund checks to friends and relatives.

By David A Nakamura  |  March 24, 2008; 3:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Before He Was Mayor
Next: Happy Birthday! Again and Again and Again...

Comments

Send her to jail.

Posted by: thongv21 | March 24, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

She's been in jail since the very beginning of the case.

Posted by: r.pattison | March 24, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

She should incur punishment to fullest extent allowed under the sentencing guidelines (once she is inevitably found guilty). Stealing from this city? From its children? From its homeless? From its public works and services? There is no lower crime. This woman and her co-conspirators have demonstrated complete disregard for their fellow man. I hope all rot in jail.

Posted by: dan_of_dc | March 24, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Make sure she will not out on the road for another 20 years.

Posted by: thongv21 | March 24, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

is "jaryce" wagging her "you did not just say you're taking me to jail" finger right now? mouthing off? Calling everyone racist?

Posted by: swatkins1 | March 24, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

A. Scott Bolden who is representing one of the defendants in this case has been quoted as saying that when all is said and done, it will be shown that some DC politicos will be shown to have accepted cash and gifts from this money taken from DC OTR.

Does anybody know of any plea deals taking Shape?

Posted by: jrrees2006 | March 24, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

PERHAPS THERE IS A LESSON HERE FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE THAT CRIME PAYS.

Lets immediately distinguish this from a traffic offense, where no one is injured.

Some years back, I met a man in Adams Morgan who had on two former occasions been a multi-millionaire. Apparently he was on effort number 3, when he was indicted, tried and convicted for some kind of criminal activity and he got 3 years in jail in West Va [probably where Mayor Barry served some time while receiving oral sex while there.

He had a nice girlfriend in her 30s. She said 'she would wait.' For whatever reason, she didn't. Apparently he had some health related issues while incarcerated -- he was either in his late 40s or early 50s.

The people I knew to be his friends, apparently didn't make it a habit to go and visit him and I think most never went to see him.

Thus a man who wouldn't back away from a street brawl, would finally get out about 3 years later. His health was precarious and he dies within several years of that, NEVER having financially recovered.

WHAT GOOD IS A LAVISH LIFESTYLE IF IT ENDS LIKE THIS?

For many years after having been disbarred as a lawyer [over 25 years ago], I had numerous people suggest to me that all I would have to do is some 'private cocaine distribution to close friends,' or otherwise engage in 'minimal criminal conduct' to have a 'decent lifestyle' -- something my then drug use prevented. But even then, my reaction was that any judge would likely throw the book at me if I were ever caught and since EVERYBODY in that life style 'rolls over' and informs [such is the nature of sentencing guidelines] that lifestyle was one I never chose to begin and IF ANYTHING, if have NEVER regretted that decision. If anything, I am almost paranoid at even approaching any boundaries of criminal conduct.

I also knew a multi-millionaire Miami, Fla attorney, who to obtain the 'company' of female drug groupies, started with grams [for them] and wound up doing kilos to multiple US cities, before he got busted by the DEA. He was in his 50s when this happened and 15 years later, when he got out of Talladega FCI, he was lucky his mother was still alive, because NONE of his siblings would allow him to live with them, a requirement for his release.

Today, he is a happy man, working with inmates across the USA for a religious organization that advocates for Jewish inmates rights while incarcerated. He lives simply, but fully.

A rewarding life for him today is his now restored family, [sans spouse -- who today is still a friend] his work, his freedom and his ability to be of service to others.

It is a shame that we must experience SOME OF these distractions to appreciate a meaningful and rewarding life.

Posted by: brucerealtor | March 24, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

This also reminds me of a man who had lead a very 'sinful life.'

On his death bed, he felt a compelling need to confess these sins to his spouse of many years, but she indicated that such a confession wasn't necessary -- that they had been married for many years and she was still his wife, wasn't she.

But he insisted, saying that he had on multiple occasions had sex with all of her sisters, her mother and all of her best female friends.

To this, his wife responded, 'yes dear, I already know all of these things -- now just lie there quietly and let the poison work.' LOL

Posted by: brucerealtor | March 24, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope this moron goes to jail for a long, long time. To me, breaking the public trust and taking tax dollars is an extremely offensive crime. And seriously, a $410,000 check? Those are so common. What gall.

Posted by: awiseman1 | March 25, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

scum of the earth. fry her!

Posted by: tialele | March 25, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse