Dispatches from Camp Obama and Camp Clinton

DC Wire invited two residents to be guest bloggers. Barack Obama supporter Keshini Ladduwahetty and Hillary Rodham Clinton supporter Tom M. Smith share their experiences from working in the Pennsylvania primary last week, and what's ahead in the coming days-- the Indiana and North Carolina primaries on May 6.

On the Road for Obama: Keshini Ladduwahetty

Philadelphia, Springfield, Pittsburgh, then back to Philadelphia. That was our trajectory for the Pennsylvania Primary. The last four weeks were a flurry of rental cars, motels, I-95 tollbooths, and above all, walk lists.

Standing Up for Clinton: Thomas M. Smith

I spent six days helping Hillary Clinton win an overwhelming victory in Pennsylvania. As one of many out-of-state volunteers, including a large contingent from this area, I was busy in all parts of Philadelphia with canvassing, phone banking, visibility and other special projects (even a couple of pub "crawls" and a tailgate party at a Phillies-Mets game).

On the Road for Obama: Keshini Ladduwahetty

Every campaign volunteer who has canvassed door-to-door knows how precious that sheaf of paper is, and how miserably dog-eared it gets after a day's work. You also come to know how your day's schedule can be completely thrown off by some weird error in Google Map directions. But balancing those frustrations was the warmth of blue Obama signs on well-tended lawns, and the sheer delight of a door opening to a household of Obama supporters.

I was lucky to be working with a band of virtual brothers and sisters. My organization, DC for Democracy (DC4D), had endorsed Barack Obama last October, the first Democracy for America (DFA) group in the country to do so. We had campaigned hard in Nevada and DC, and several of our members had been elected as delegates pledged for Obama. We had expected to call it quits after February, but the primary bug had bitten us. Jerry Clark, our Political Director, and Ombudsman Jesse Lovell laid out the plan for our PA campaign.

We'd make a couple of trips to Philly before the voter registration deadline on March 24th to sign up Democratic voters. Then we'd make several more trips, culminating in the final GOTV, mostly in the Philly area but also venturing out to Pittsburgh, which we thought might be short of volunteers---and it was!

We made our final push in Springfield, Pa., -- Congressional District 7 in Delaware County. We had multiple reasons for going there. We knew it was a battleground, like other suburbs surrounding Philadelphia. It also had 7 delegates (those of us who were reluctantly learning delegate math knew this was a strategic choice). The final icing on the cake was a personal plea from Andalynn Burgess, the fabulous field organizer we had worked with in Las Vegas who was now in Springfield.

What we found was a huge number of people who were undecided up to a day before the election. It was very disconcerting for us that so many people probably walked into the polling booths and maybe made up their minds right there.

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, back in the news again, didn't come up in my experience in Pennsylvania. In fact, the one person who mentioned the Wright controversy didn't find it personally bothersome. There were a few people who mentioned the whole "Bittergate" issue, though those who did said they agreed with Obama.

The predominant thing about those who were undecided it seemed was that they were people who said they don't like Clinton. And that they don't even trust her. But they were too scared to try something unknown. To them Obama is an unknown, and the fact that he's promising to change things is something that they're fearful of even hoping for.

They were torn between taking a chance and sticking with what was more familiar.
I was struck by the number of people who were leaning toward Clinton but who were the least positive about her. It was bizarre.

After walking our feet off for four days, and finding frustrating numbers of undecided voters, we returned home to watch the disappointing results roll in. But there was a bright silver lining: Delaware County went for Obama 55 percent, getting us four of seven delegates.

Now, with Pennsylvania behind us, we're looking towards distant Indiana, where the polls are a virtual tie, as well as more proximate North Carolina, where Obama is substantially ahead. Indiana is our likely next destination.

In the meantime, I'm planning to get a new pair of shoes.

Standing Up for Clinton: Thomas M. Smith

Though I am a political junkie and a longtime local DC activist, being part of politics Philadelphia-style is a very different experience.

Whether they voted for Clinton or Obama, the people of Philadelphia were intensely passionate about their choice. Campaign workers and volunteers could be found at all hours of the day and night looking for one more Democratic voter to touch.

Nevertheless, there were some "passions" on display in Philadelphia that should give all Democrats cause for concern. In a racially diverse city, like Philadelphia, many African-American Clinton supporters, including the city's mayor, were demonized and subjected to intense pressure for not backing Obama.

Unfortunately, for some Obama and Clinton supporters in Philadelphia, the primary was only about race. This made the experience in Philadelphia very different than any local political activity in which I have ever been engaged -- even when nearly 20 years ago, I lived in Philadelphia and was very active then in local and statewide politics.

Talking to the voters in Philadelphia reinforced my view that Clinton should not walk away from the contest simply because the media pundits say she has only a "slender" chance to win. I don't accept the conclusion that Obama has a "significant" lead. I see a narrow contest with many asterisks that can be "spun" by media and political pundits in many directions. Nor does my unwillingness to embrace Barack Obama at this stage in the campaign represent a lack of unity in the party or a disrespect of Obama supporters.

I am also concerned that attempts by some Obama supporters to intimidate Clinton supporters -- as seemed the goal in Philadelphia -- will backfire on the Democratic Party. Many in both camps seem to be forgetting that we need one another if our candidate -- whoever it may be -- is to be successful in November.

Certain events stick in your mind during a campaign. For example, while campaigning outside a hip-hop event in West Philly, some African-American women who asked for stickers, buttons and signs, and joined our group were subjected to verbal abuse. But they stood their ground.

Since returning I have been asked by friends and family if the Reverend Wright controversy was a factor in Philly. Only one person, an African-American woman, mentioned it to me. Her comment was that the white community did not understand because of the cadence that Wright used in addressing his congregation.

I heard more concern about Obama's reaction after the Pennsylvania debate to being grilled on issues that have made their way into the headlines in recent weeks, particularly his comments about small town America. Many expressed concern that Obama seemed unable to explain himself in the debate and were taken back by his complaints that the questions were even posed.

Many thought of Obama as a whiner and simply could not cast a vote for him. Though they expressed concerns about Clinton also, they seemed comfortable that they knew her and even more comfortable that she seemed able to relate to the problems they faced everyday.

And sometimes moments were just funny. One woman in North Philly said to me, "I would have voted for her if she had taken a frying pan and hit him (Bill Clinton) on the head with it." This life-long Democrat also told me she planned to vote for McCain in November despite voting for Obama in the primary.

One thing is clear though. Our continuing challenge is for both campaigns - from the candidates to the workers on the ground - to listen to each other, treat one another with respect, and reach a common understanding that Democrats will be together in the fall.

What next? I was initially considering going to Raleigh, N.C., but was so exhausted after Philly that I decided I would take a break. And then I got a call from some of those I worked alongside in Philly (and before that in San Antonio). So, now I am nearly certain I will be heading to Indianapolis for another round.

By Marcia Davis  |  April 28, 2008; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  2008 Presidential Race
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Updated: Budget Battles: Brought to Tears
Next: The Rev. Wright Attending D.C. Conference

Comments

What about Dean - Now Dean is breaking the rules

He is such a stickler for the "rules" AND the Obama people are so crazy about the "rules" as the justification not to count the votes of millions of American citizens in Florida and Michigan.

HOWEVER - what about the "rule" allowing people to bring issues up to the CREDENTIALS COMMITTEE AT THE CONVENTION?

Howard Dean is basically breaking the "rules" by telling the Superdelegates to vote before the Credentials Committee has debate and a vote on the issues of Florida and Michigan.

Allowing the CREDENTIALS COMMITTEE to meet and debate FIRST is significant to this election and de facto proper.

Also, there are SIGNIFICANT issues before the RULES COMMITTEE which I believe meets in June

Howard Dean is BREAKING THE RULES BY ASKING THE SUPERDELEGATES TO VOTE IN JUNE.

Also, the Superdelegates have the right to CHANGE their vote up until the Convention.

By encouraging a resolution in June, Dean is essentially breaking the rule which allows the Superdelegates to change their vote before the Covention.

Howard Dean should be penalized by not being allowed to vote at the convention - the same penalty leveled against the voters of Florida and Michigan.

Posted by: Words of Wisdom | April 28, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I commend both of our local residents for their hard work volunteering in Pennsylvania. Surely you are both doing the work the founders had in mind when they convened in Philadelphia. This is the ONLY silver lining of the endless primary, the sheer level of involvement by ordinary citizens that, at least anecdotally, seems totally off the charts compared to past elections. In all sincerity, thank you both.

Just for a bit of balance about supporters of one candidate picking on (or in the Clinton blogger's words, intimidating) supporters of the other: It's regrettable, but it happens in every campaign, on every side.

I mainly volunteered here for the Virginia primary, but I did spend one afternoon in Pennsylvania canvassing before the election. One door I knocked on in a very affluent, generally pro-Obama suburb was answered by a 10-year-old boy who announced "We are proud supporters of Hillary Clinton and you are not welcome here." (I am a middle-aged white woman, FYI.) I thanked him politely and walked away. He then began repeatedly shouting "Obama Sucks!" and slammed the door. That's an appealing family, isn't it. Maybe not an equivalent to your experience, but then again I was only in Pennsylvania for an afternoon.

I wish people had the common sense not to act this way when someone is just a volunteer or wearing a button, but for some, it's human nature. Similar small stuff happened to me in supporting Obama here in northern Virginia, just like when I was supporting Al Gore, Tim Kaine, Jim Webb, John Kerry... you name it. I guarantee it happens to people supporting Republicans, too. Fortunately the good experiences far, far outweigh the bad. Don't be put off by it, volunteers, and hold your heads high.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | April 28, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

The only reasonable, possible explanation to the Wright/Obamba debacle is that Obama agreed with his mentor for 20 YEARS. That is why Wright feels free to give his Anti American Speeches while Obama shies away from denouncing him. Obama cannot denounce nor refused Wright because the truth will come out. Wright is Obama's true political liability. Expect the following, Wright will :
1- WRITE A BOOK.
2- CONTINUE TO GIVE NATIONAL SPEECHES.
3- HE WILL CHARGE FOR THOSE NATIONAL SPEECHES.
4- HE WILL APPEAR IN MORE COMMENTARY PROGRAMS.
5- DONT BE SURPRICE IF WRIGHT HIMSELF RUNS FOR SENATOR.
6- THERE WILL BE A WRIGHT IDIALOGY BASED ON HIS POLITICAL ANGLE.
7- OBAMA WILL NOT DISASSOCIATE, NOR RENOUNCED REV. WRIGHT.

SO ASK YOURSELF WHY? Why CANT THE NEXT POSSIBLE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES DENOUNCE AND RENOUNCE HIS CRAZY, ANTI-AMERICAN PASTOR? EASY; WRIGHT KNOWS TOO MUCH.

Posted by: Leanza Cornett | April 28, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I ask myself now, "Why, oh why do the people who come on here and espouse that they are supporting the best candidate, why do these people not know how to spell?

Posted by: Travis | April 28, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Dear Leanza Cornett,

I implore you to take the time to watch the recent PBS interview with Mr. Wright. It really clears up a lot of things, and explains some disconnects that the media at large was happy to fill with racy terminology.
Mr. Wright is absolutely not Anti American. Give him the benefit of the doubt for an hour, watch the PBS interview, and read what he's currently talking to the media about.
With regards to Obama: once you understand Wright (and I don't mean, agree with. I mean, understand him) you will probably be able to see why Obama stands where he is. It is refreshing to see a politician not buckle under pressure, immense pressure to abandon his church for the wrong reasons.

The 10 second clips on youtube and FOX are not doing YOU justice. They assume YOU don't want to know more and I bet you're smarter than that.

Posted by: Hans Meiser | April 28, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

You talk about dean breaking the rule....what about Hillary? She signed that the votes in Florida and Michigan would not count. She is a cheater. She wants the rules to bend her way. And by the way, Obama said he would agree to anything fair to seat those delegates, blame someone else instead of commenting false facts, research a little and you'll see why they haven't counted those votes.

Posted by: Nancy | April 28, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I would call Hillary's performance in PA as hanging on by the skin of her teeth. 23% lead whittled down to 9%. An unknown outsider takes on the most well known name in Democratic politics. If Hillary hadn't gone whacko negative on Obama, it would be over. Negative attacks work but they poison the process and result in a winner that can't govern. We've been there and done that.

Posted by: thebob.bob | April 28, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

It is so so sad that we Americans are going to once again get fooled by the standard fear tactics that politicians use to get elected. At first Clinton and McCain simply took it for granted that a mixed race person could not be elected in America. As it began to seem as though Americans didn't really care about the color of Obama's skin Clinton started making comments about Jesse Jackson, and Obama's "unelectability" (code for, "haven't you noticed he's black"). When that subtle approach didn't work they brought out Wright's sermons, which they knew Americans wouldn't understand.

I'm a white middle aged, well educated, man. I always assumed black people still harbored some frustration over how they were and, in some cases, still are viewed by white America. I guess many Americans have simply put this out of their minds, and assumed that in a black church in Chicago that the pastor gave the same bland sermons that you hear in a white church in the suburbs. Is anyone out there actually worried that Obama wants to become President because he actually hates America? Does anyone rationally fear that Obama will somehow change the laws so that blacks take over America? Does everyone now know that Obama is not a Muslim, and he is not planning on handing America over to Al Qeada?

I am Catholic, and like most Catholics I don't agree with much of what comes out of the Vatican. I was horrified when I found out how the church handled all the Priest-child abuse cases, but does anyone suggest that anyone who continued to be a member of the Catholic church must believe that the church handled the abuse cases properly. There are as many Catholics who support a womans right to chose to have an abortion, as there are from any other religion, in spite of the Vatican's absolute prohibition of abortion. Likewise, Catholics are just as likely to use birth control as any other group, again in spite of a prohibition from the Vatican.

People can be a member of a church for many reasons; sense of community, underlying values, tradition, even as a way of meeting people. It is absurd to conclude that because Wright had a style of preaching that we, or even Obama, may have at times objected to, that Obama must have agreed with everything that Wright believed.

Posted by: captbilly | April 28, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Wright is a racist tried and true.

all you have to do is swap the color black for white and white for black, you got the same crap you had before we started seeing change. it aint no Zebra folks it's sad that we called it wrong then but now it's okay.

sick.

Posted by: Kadius | April 28, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

what about the Clintons and all the peolple around them that died unlikely deaths by the way. why aint no one talking about that?

Posted by: Kadius | April 28, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

My my these candidates are REALLY working aren't they? The campaigners sure are. I'd like some more light shed on these hard workers driven with passion. We see so much on television about the candidates themselves. I think it's only fair.

That's what I'm talking about, passion, and hopefully for our country, not so much emphasis on the candidates themselves. Absolutely.

Posted by: Obama2008 | April 28, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

CAPTBILLY's POST ABOVE IS FABULOUS! WELL SAID. BRAVO! BRAVO! SO GOOD TO READ SUCH INTELLIGENT POSTINGS. I am a white, middle-aged well educated, catholic female and agree with you completely.

Posted by: Madison | April 28, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

From the CHICAGO TRIBUNe...Lawrence Korb and Ian Moss

In 1961, a young African-American man, after hearing President John F. Kennedy's challenge to , "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country," gave up his student deferment, left college in Virginia and voluntarily joined the Marines. In 1963, this man, having completed his two years of service in the Marines, volunteered again to become a Navy corpsman. (They provide medical assistance to the Marines as well as to Navy personnel.)

The man did so well in corpsman school that he was the valedictorian and became a cardiopulmonry technician. Not surprisingly, he was assigned to the Navy's premier medical facility, Bethesda Naval Hospital, as a member of the commander in chief's medical team, and helped care for President Lyndon B. Johnson after his 1966 surgery. For his service on the team, which he left in 1967, the White House awarded him three letters of commendation.

While this young man was serving six years on active duty, Vice President Dick Cheney, who was born the same year as the Marine/sailor, received five deferments, four for being an undergraduate and graduate student and one for being a prospective father. Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, both five years younger than the African-American youth, used their student deferments to stay in college until 1968. Both then avoided going on active duty through family connections.

Who is the real patriot? The young man who interrupted his studies to serve his country for six years or our three political leaders who beat the system? Are the patriots the people who actually sacrifice something or those who merely talk about their love of the country?

After leaving the service of his country, the young African-American finished his final year of college, entered the seminary, was ordained as a minister, and eventually became pastor of a large church in one of America's biggest cities.

This man is Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the retiring pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, who has been in the news for comments he made over the last three dacades.

-------------------------------------------

Besides inviting Rev Wright to lead a Prayer Breakfast at the White House, the Clinton's also used him for marital counciling after the Monica scandal. And how does Hillary act towards him? Even the pastor of Hillary's church defended him. There you have it...Hillary is as low as they go....Nancy

Posted by: Nancy | April 28, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The Lord Spoke & gave a Law & said if you Obey You will be Blessed & if You Disobey You will be Cursed-& Destroyed
WOE to you who call Good evil & Evil good.
Shall a individual or Nation Break the Laws of ALLMIGHTY GOD & think they will be Blessed? Shall the Candidates Promote & call good What GOD has called ABOMINATION & be BLESSED? Do You think He that made the Eye is Blind? Do you think He who made the ear is deaf?- Do you think you can sow wickedness & reap blessing ? WOE UNTO YOU WHO THINK SO! GOD IS NOT MOCKED What You Sow YOU SHALL SURLY REAP & EVERY ONE will be judged in rightousness & truth & the Wicked will be destroyed. You want to laugh & make fun of my words of warning GO Ahead- when Judgement falls Your blood will not be on my hands but you will bear your own iniquity. God Raised this nation up & As we were obediant He Blessed us But now if we do not Repent We will be cursed, Judged & Destroyed As Surly as Isreal, Babylon,Rome.

Posted by: Voice in the Wilderness | April 28, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

captbilly....wish we could clone you. Thank you so much for your intelligent comment. Please write to the papers in Indy...letters to the editor.....your comment is far too good to stop here.

Posted by: Cheryl | April 28, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Hillary did not win an "overwhelming victory" in Pennsylvania. She is still in 2nd place. If she were not lying to gullible voters, I wonder how many would vote for her. Anyone that needs to inflate their importance and fudge on the resume to get hired, in addition to slandering their opponent is a loser. The Clintons are the biggest losers, because they are willing to sink low to garner votes. They care only for their egos and power; not the country, not the citizens and honesty/integrity in DC.

Howard Dean is also, obviously not for citizens. Everyone forgets, we, the people and 3rd party candidates. The DNC's loyalty to the corrupt Clintons is why we are mostly looking at 4 more years of Republicans in DC. You all voted for Bush and now whine. Well, do not whine about McCain when he takes you into Iran and drafts your daughters. You could have voted Obama, Edwards, Biden, Dodd, Gravel, but you like the corrupt, the lies, the womanizing, the disbarred, the impeached.

You get what you deserve and we all suffer with what you force upon the rest of us.

Posted by: alice in wonderland | April 28, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Hoping to see Hillary reap what she sows.

Posted by: Cheryl | April 28, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry you have to swollow these words of the REV. the bible says ..... The word of God is quick and powerfull sharper then any two edge sword.. it is a deserner of thoughts and the intents of the heart. Lets get behind this great man President Obama and his new ideas.

Posted by: teddyo | April 28, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The News Medias went after Rev Wright on his Speech of inequality , for a Political association guilty plea to voters , the oes on Fox news I believe a Saw them bragging on the hannity show about it being the ones that broke this story , but , I wanted to break this story I read about the new Business Plan thats a coming soon to the News enterprise industry in the USA ; As we Debate the Issues of how Inequality is eroding our way of Life with the Topic of Reverend Wright , because of the out sourcing of Primary Blue Collar Jobs , because of the Trade Policies of the Past and Present Leadership in our Highest Office in the USA , issues that pertain to trade agreements and the need for them to have been drafted to effectuate Fair Trade so that we would not see the Inequality rise up from the out sourcing of equality sustaining American Blue Collar jobs , which feed Secondary good paying jobs , like Media Jobs which thrive off these Primary core businesses which advertise too the medias , and create funding to the medias , supporting their ways of life , enabling top news commentators to make a equality wage , but the fact that as these businesses erode away , so does the advertising funds that come into the cash registers of the Media Groups , bad news for News Commentators , no matter how Provocative , or Politically divisive they can be to create the ratings buzz .
The fact is that they too , like the Blue Collar Jobs that have been out sourced too a Cheaper Wage Pool , like in Asia , can be just what News Medias CEOs are considering as we speak about these Issues of Equality , for the News Medias Bottom Line . To cut those high priced News executives Costs , is something that certainly Asia is able to provide , as America devaluates down too the Price values of Asia which are 18 cents to our dollar , which is squeezed down to about 72 cents right now , so the pressure is on the News Bosses to bring up the Bottom Line more and more everyday . This Inequality thats developing in News Groups could for sure be out sourced and improved , if Relocation and airing of the Broadcasts were done in South East Asia specifically because I think the cost there is like 10 cents to our dollar , so before we consider the relocation of the broadcasts , these considerations of cost and Profits are Important factors too look at as well as the FREE TRADE Agreement the USA has through the WTO , to allow for this Importing of News Broadcasts to be Freely Distributed into USA Free Markets , in real Time , with No Tariff Fees charged too the News Corporations . Good News for the New Medias Bottom line , to think that a Top News Commentators pay could be 10 cents to the dollar paid here in the USA , is Huge savings too the Corporation , and hasn't that been the best thing coming out of the past 14 years of This Trade POLICY that our Government has Promoted ???????????????Kinda Makes you think about Equality in a different light now doesn't it, as you pick on Reverends WHO ARE TRYING TO TALK ABOUT EQUALITY ISSUES TOO ???

Posted by: ajironworks | April 28, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

My biggest fear is that they will give the nominatin to Hillary because the person who loses the nomination is supposed to help unite the party and endorse, campaign for the winner. Can any of you see Hillary (and Bill) doing that? We know Obama is the honorable one and I would hate to have him lose the nomination because Hillary is sour grapes.

Posted by: Hope08 | April 28, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

My vote will never be given to Hilary. She does not deserve to be the nominee. She behind in everything, the only thing she keeps saying- is that she is fighter. Well i believe that everything she says now, will evaporate once she gets into the white house if she is indeed going to be. People needs to wake up, and ask themselves a very simple question Is she really an honest person? that can explains a lot about the integrity of a person. She caling OBama an elite, when her capital with bill is over $100 millions, let see how much of that money was given to poor people that she says she fight for.

Posted by: Mike | April 28, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I do not see how Senator Obama can recover from what is happening. It gets gloomier by the day. I have watched all the wright stuff this weekend and today on the news and it's scarey. Is this our future? I know we have done bad things, but we have done good things too. Is all the focus negative? We are not perfect, but there is a reason people stay and try to get in. I want a more positive approach to our country. Bad things happened in most of our histories or we would not be here. Get over it!!

Posted by: kt | April 28, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

he is a good person N thier are fair?

Posted by: victoria | April 28, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

mccaine sucks always judging people you suck BALLS!!!!!

Posted by: durewa sour dough | April 28, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

If the machine gives this to Hillary
then expect...EXPECT to loose the
General election. If you don't mind
that Hillary wants to expand Nafta,
decrease the value of the dollar and
could care less about us fighting in Iraq.
The only thing that upsets Hillary is we
are loosing revenue in Iraq. So go on
Soccer moms and lesbians keep pushing for
your girl. I want to know who to blame when
McCain is president.

Posted by: MrSam | April 28, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

LA Times is now reporting Obama took money in exchange for political favors. He awarded a state contract to Robert Blackwell Jr. when he was having financial problems. So much for "hope" and "change".

Posted by: goldenstate | April 28, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Goldenstate writes about this pingpong ball manufacturer (I'm not kidding, that's what this Blackwell story is about) like it's a big scandal. It is a minor thing and it was reported on more than 24 hours ago. Don't act like this is breaking news because you just discovered the article.

Let's get back to oh, I don't know: energy crisis, global warming, bad schools, job loss, home foreclosures, Iraq war, Al Qaeda, and what each candidate is going to do about those and other issues, shall we?

Or of course someone besides me and one other poster could actually respond to, and ideally praise, the interesting, thoughtful blog postings by our local Obama and Clinton volunteers who are representing us so well in multiple primaries--just as a thought.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | April 28, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Attn. : To some of you bloggers who cannot THINK...take one moment, inhale deeply...exhale...relax.... THINK. I am talking to all who have gotten hung up with Jeremiah Wright and appears to have lostthe ability or capacity to think.Read the following and just THINK about it ..for one second ...Dang it !!

Letter of the day: Clinton, her pastor disagree about Wright

Hillary Clinton attends the Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington. So does Bill Clinton. Hillary suggests she would not have the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama's controversial former minister, as her pastor.

But the senior pastor of her church has a very different take on how Americans should react to Wright. The Rev. Dean Snyder wrote, "The Rev. Jeremiah Wright is an outstanding church leader whom I have heard speak a number of times. He has served for decades as a profound voice for justice and inclusion in our society. He has been a vocal critic of the racism, sexism, and homophobia which still tarnish the American dream.

"To evaluate his dynamic ministry on the basis of two or three sound bites does a grave injustice to Dr. Wright, the members of his congregation, and the African-American church, which has been the spiritual refuge of a people that has suffered from discrimination, disadvantage, and violence. Dr. Wright, a member of an integrated denomination, has been an agent of racial reconciliation while proclaiming perceptions and truths uncomfortable for some white people to hear.

"Those of us who are white Americans would do well to listen carefully to Dr. Wright rather than to use a few of his quotes to polarize. This is a critical time in America's history as we seek to repent of our racism. No matter which candidates prevail, let us use this time to listen again to one another and not to distort one another's truth. "

JACK BEAIRD, GOLDEN VALLEY

Posted by: dave | April 28, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

MY FELLOW "BITTER", STUPID, WORKING CLASS PEOPLE :-)

If you think like Barack Obama, that WORKING CLASS PEOPLE are just a bunch of "BITTER"!, STUPID, PEASANTS, Cash COWS!, and CANNON FODDER. :-(

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think Barack Obama with little or no experience would be better than Hillary Clinton with 35 years experience.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can fix an economy on the verge of collapse better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) led the greatest economic expansion, and prosperity in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience fighting for universal health care can get it for you better than Hillary Clinton. Who anticipated this current health care crisis back in 1993, and fought a pitched battle against overwhelming odds to get universal health care for all the American people.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can manage, and get us out of two wars better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) went to war only when he was convinced that he absolutely had to. Then completed the mission in record time against a nuclear power. AND DID NOT LOSE THE LIFE OF A SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER. NOT ONE!

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience saving the environment is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) left office with the greatest amount of environmental cleanup, and protections in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with little or no education experience is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) made higher education affordable for every American. And created higher job demand and starting salary's than they had ever been before or since.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience will be better than Hillary Clinton who spent 8 years at the right hand of President Bill Clinton. Who is already on record as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that you can change the way Washington works with pretty speeches from Obama, rather than with the experience, and political expertise of two master politicians ON YOUR SIDE like Hillary and Bill Clinton..

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think all those Republicans voting for Obama in the Democratic primaries, and caucuses are doing so because they think he is a stronger Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton. :-)

Best regards

jacksmith... Working Class :-)

p.s. You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you don't know that the huge amounts of money funding the Obama campaign to try and defeat Hillary Clinton is coming in from the insurance, and medical industry, that has been ripping you off, and killing you and your children. And denying you, and your loved ones the life saving medical care you needed. All just so they can make more huge immoral profits for them-selves off of your suffering...

You see, back in 1993 Hillary Clinton had the audacity, and nerve to try and get quality, affordable universal health care for everyone to prevent the suffering and needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of you each year. :-)

Approx. 100,000 of you die each year from medical accidents from a rush to profit by the insurance, and medical industry. Another 120,000 of you die each year from treatable illness that people in other developed countries don't die from. And I could go on, and on...

OBAMA AIDE: "WORKING-CLASS VOTERS NOT KEY FOR DEMOCRATS" :o

DEBATE! DEBATE!! DEBATE!!!...

Posted by: jacksmith | April 29, 2008 4:11 AM | Report abuse

Jacksmith, it's been three weeks already, how many more weeks of your "You Might Be An Idiot Cut n Paste" will we have to endure? Or perhaps having the IQ of a kitchen sponge leaves you a bit uncreative and "bitter"

Posted by: BrooklynGirl | April 29, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

DEBATE! DEBATE!! DEBATE!!!

It's time for everyone to face the truth. Barack Obama has no real chance of winning the national election in November at this time. His crushing defeat in Pennsylvania makes that fact crystal clear. His best, and only real chance of winning in November is on a ticket with Hillary Clinton as her VP.

Hillary Clinton seemed almost somber at her Pennsylvania victory speech. As if part of her was hoping Obama could have proved he had some chance of winning against the republican attack machine, and their unlimited money, and resources.

But it is absolutely essential that the democrats take back the Whitehouse in November. America, and the American people are in a very desperate condition now. And the whole World has been doing all that they can to help keep us propped up.

Hillary Clinton say's that the heat, and decisions in the Whitehouse are much tougher than the ones on the campaign trail. But I think Mr. Obama faces a test of whether he has what it takes to be a commander and chief by facing the difficult facts, and the truth before him. And by doing what is best for the American people by dropping out of the race, and offering his whole hearted assistance to Hillary Clinton to help her take back the Whitehouse for the American people, and the World.

Mr. Obama is a great speaker. And I am confident he can explain to the American people the need, and wisdom of such a personal sacrifice for them. It should be clear to everyone by now that Hillary Clinton is fighting her heart out for the American people. She has known for a long time that Mr. Obama can not win this November. You have to remember that the Clinton's have won the Whitehouse twice before. They know what it takes.

If Mr. Obama fails his test of commander and chief we can only hope that Hillary Clinton can continue her heroic fight for the American people. And that she prevails. She will need all the continual support and help we can give her. She may fight like a superhuman. But she is only human.

Sen. Hillary Clinton: "You know, more people have now voted for me than have voted for my opponent. In fact, I now have more votes than anybody has ever had in a primary contest for a nomination. And it's also clear that we've got nine more important contests to go."

Sincerely

Jacksmith... Working Class :-)

Posted by: jacksmith | April 29, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

hey obama - lie down with dogs you get up with fleas.

now about all the other dogs you have been sleeping with (rezko, ayers, etc...)

just wait. you are finished!

Posted by: Robert NYC | May 1, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Washington Post reader in New Jersey. Plenty of our state's citizens flooded into PA too to help local organizers get the word out for their candidate of choice.

Both Thomas and Keshini make me proud, taking their time to advocate for their candidate.

I'm voting Obama, and I'm certain this nomination will go his way, and should. But I thank anybody from any state who worked for any of the Democratic candidates this year. I'm proud to be in the same Party as you.

Posted by: Rosi in NJ | May 1, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse