Breaking News: Another Superdelegate for Obama

Superdelegate Anita Bonds, chair of the DC Democratic Party, announced last night that she will endorse Sen. Barack Obama at the Denver convention. Her announcement continued the superdelegate march toward Obama after last week's primaries in Indiana and North Carolina.

Bonds's announcement was impromptu and prompted, she said, by Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) who put her on the spot at a meeting of Democratic delegates in the John A. Wilson Building last night and asked if she was supporting Obama.

"I said, 'Okay,'" Bonds told the D.C. Wire in her first interview about the subject.

Bonds, who has attended events for both Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Obama during the campaign, said, "You try to exercise your best judgment....We want to go to the convention as unified as we can."

"I am with the mayor. I'm with the chairman," she said, referring to Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray (D). Both Gray and Fenty are Obama supporters.

Pointing to constant media reports and the hunger for a win, she said the primary is full of "ugliness" that she hopes will end. Voters go to the polls in West Virginia today, where
Clinton is expected to win.

Bonds had said earlier that she was waiting to make a decision because she was shepherding the delegate process locally as chair. "We elected our last set of delegates last week. We also did our state convention," she said.

"I think we have a hard job ahead of us as delegates. We want to win the White House," she said.

Bonds said much more. She said she was going on and on because "this is the first time I've been able to talk."

She said she was prepared for the many calls she may get today. "I'm going to go brush my teeth first," she said.

By Nikita R Stewart  |  May 13, 2008; 7:06 AM ET
Categories:  2008 Presidential Race
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No Self-Oppression on D.C Voting Rights; That's Congress' Job
Next: Klingle to Stay Closed

Comments

Not really what I would call a qualified endorsement.

Posted by: davidoff | May 13, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"Not really what I would call a qualified endorsement.
Posted by: davidoff | May 13, 2008 10:50 AM"

Ok then, define a "qualified endorsement!"

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

qual·i·fied Audio Help /ˈkwɒləˌfaɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kwol-uh-fahyd] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
-adjective 1. having the qualities, accomplishments, etc., that fit a person for some function, office, or the like.

She is a "qualified" superdelegate...

2. having the qualities, accomplishments, etc., required by law or custom for getting, having, or exercising a right, holding an office, or the like.

She meets all criteria required to be a superdelegate.

3. modified, limited, or restricted in some way: a qualified endorsement.

She did not modify, limit or restrict her endorsement so you are correct under the third definition... her endorsement was not "qualified" but I'm going on a limb here by saying that you do not have a firm grasp of the meaning of the word "qualified" and that the only "correct" (i.e. factually true and using an accepted definition of the word "qualified") way to read your statment does not convey the message you intended.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

If anyone knows Anita Bonds and has followed her career since the Barry years in the 1970's, then you would know she is first and foremost a survivor. This type of endorsement is about what one would expect from her.

If I were Fenty, I would sit next to her at the Convention and make sure she actually votes for Senator Obama.

Posted by: DC Resident | May 13, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Does it surprise anyone that she supports Obama. I am continually harrassed because I am a mixed race person who does not support Obama. My African-American brothers and sisters are throwing their support behind a manufactured candidate who will hurt our community rather than help us in the long run. Obama is clearly only interested in our votes and nothing more. His continued illusion of being a grassroots candidate has been exposed numerous times by the big donors contibuting to his candidacy and the bedfellows he keeps in big oil, big energy, big banks and real estate. We are lost in his words while his actions are dismissed.

Posted by: Joe Brown | May 14, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse