Father of Rawlings Speaks Out Against Prosecutors

Charles Rawlings, the father of 14-year-old DeOnté Rawlings, said federal prosecutors were "protecting" the off-duty D.C. police officers who shot his son in September.

He said the prosecutors were angry about the $100 million lawsuit the family has filed in the case.

"They're looking at this and think it's about money," Rawlings said. "I'm not tripping over money. I'm tripping over justice for my son, my wife, my family."

DeOnté had started his freshman year at Ballou Senior High School. His father has told The Post that his son had developed a tense relationship with local officers in the months before his death because he refused to help with investigations, had been out after curfew and had begun skipping school.

Keith Alexander

By Marcia Davis  |  May 2, 2008; 7:10 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Police Union Chief: Rawlings Case a "Complete Failure" by Fenty, Lanier
Next: WASA and Verse

Comments

I'd love to hear what his direct quote was on "refusing to help with investigations." I vaguely remember a quote from him shortly after the incident in which Charles Rawlings talked about how his son "wouldn't snitch." It was a very telling quote.

Posted by: Jim | May 2, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

"I'm not tripping over money" says the lying baby maker who is apparently married to a woman who has had fifteen children by six different men. He is just the latest donor.

Posted by: Jay | May 2, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Lying baby maker?

Posted by: Jim | May 2, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Bottom line is there is a great big cover up going on. No one claimed that De'Onte was an angel, not even his family. But where is the gun? And..where is the bike that started this whole incident. It was NEVER stated whether or not the bike the officer saw him on was actually his. This just stinks to high hell and I think that in some way those officers need to pay and in their hearts they know their actions were wrong. the police chief should not have had to hand hold those veteran officers. If they were off duty they should have known to call for back up on this call if they suspected De'Onte was the one who stole the officers bike. It's too many loops holes in their story in my opinion. What was the purpose of the one officer leaving the scene to drop off his vehicle only to return later with out it. ALL OF THIS IS ABSOLUTELY SUSPECT TO ME. My heart goes out to the family and their lost.

Posted by: L | May 2, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I hardly feel all that bad for the family. On one hand they flaunt the laws, raise a child who is obviously headed to prison, seem like they might even be encouraging his thug life and on the other they want "justice." You get what you deserve. A dead kid and no money. Cry me a river.

Posted by: b | May 2, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

For all of you who can't understand 1. Why the officer left and how could he be scared after the shooting, and 2. Why didn't they find the gun and bike on the scene at the time of the shooting. You obviously are not familiar with this area so here is what I want you to do. Today, the temp will be in the 80's. I want you to take a beach chair, folding chair (or no chair) and around 7:30 this evening (about the same time as the shooting) go and sit in the courtyard where this occurred. I guaruntee you, as an outsider, not born and raised there and with no peeps to vouch for your being there, you wont last 15 minutes with YOUR property and if you balk, your life. Then see how long after the first person approaches you that one person turns into 75 (about 15 seconds). THEN, call the police for help, and from the time the first car pulls up to the time they set foot in the courtyard, see how fast it takes YOUR stuff to disappear and you wont even be able to describe the person who took it, just the one who talked to you first. Can you do that to get a "better understanding"? Only then can you rightfully give your "opinion" because you will actually have one based on knowledge, experience and "understanding".

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

The father doesn't care about the money but about justice? Sure your right. If he put this much time, energy and enthusiam(sp?) into his son when he was here, imagine what the boy could, should, would have been. So now the tax payers of this city, who have been supporting you and all your offspring to some extent or another your whole life, are now supposed to give up a lump some of money because while we were paying your rent, groceries and utilities, you couldn't find time to properly raise your son? Puhleez.

Posted by: B | May 2, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks that the Rawlings family deserves a dead child, as someone posted above, is a genuinely bad person. I wouldn't wish that kind of horror on anyone, no matter how misguided they are. And Mr. Rawlings is obviously misguided?

Posted by: Jim | May 2, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

This whole ordeal is very confusing and emotional for all parties involved. We will never know the whole truth but the decision has been made and we all have to live with it. I ask God for help with this as soon as it happened because I have a son and a family. My heart goes out to this family and I don't think any answer will be a good answer. Let God be the judge of the policemen involved. If there was any wrong doing on their behalves, they will have to answer for it in God's kingdom sooner or later. There is a saying "Everything comes back to you".

Posted by: Alley | May 2, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

You are right, the Rawling family does not deserve a dead child. No one should have to go through that. It's not the natural progression of life, for parents to have to bury their children. On the other hand, people should not expect to be given money for the death of a loved one when the actions of the loved one played a part in their death. We messed up from the start when the leaders of this city (gung ho on firing employees to make themselves look better) jumped on this case to use as another publicity stunt and gave the family the wrong impression that they were somehow wronged by the city and it's officers. They were treated differently from the start. What should they think except it must be time to get paid. How many victims of homicide in this troubled City get such personal attention from the Mayor and Chief? Do you know of any other families who didn't have to worry about funeral cost? Who got personal visits from them daily for almost two weeks after the incident? Please tell me if this is done for everyone in they city or not?

Posted by: Bea | May 2, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

DeOnte' is dead, and that may be good for the public at large. His father, Charles Rawlings, could not care less about DeOnte' when he was alive. Now that he is dead, and under the circumstances, boy Charles is trying to get a wind fall.

Charles should fix himself not to have anymore children. Mark my words, you have not heard the last of the Rawlings. Lulu is probably next to have a bunch of kids that will further drain the welfare system, not to mention his current outstanding grandkids.

Let DeOnte' rest in peace, and tell his friends to cool out or they will be next to be put in a meat wagon.

Posted by: Whatever | May 2, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse