Camp Obama, Camp Clinton in Indiana

Camp Obama: Jason Berry

Hi Washington!

Greetings from Indianapolis, Washington! I'm one of the 4,000 supporters of DC for Obama - the grassroots movement in the District supporting Senator Obama's presidential bid this year. In addition to helping Obama win 76 percent of the vote in DC, my wife and I have taken time off of work to travel to South Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania. I'm volunteering here in Indiana because I believe so strongly that Mr. Obama can help us escape the national (Republican) nightmare of the last eight years - and so do the people of Indiana!

Camp Clinton: Tom Smith

When I travel, I particularly enjoy initiating conversations with taxi drivers. They come in contact with so many people from all walks of life that they seem to have almost a sixth sense of the pulse of the community.

Camp Obama: Jason Berry

Hi Washington!

Yesterday, I spoke to two Republican households in rapid succession. I walked down the long driveway passing through a carefully manicured lawn, and a welcome sign with the drawing of a mother duck in a bonnet. A man in his mid-sixties answered the door. I introduced myself, and asked him if he planned to support Sen. Obama. He responded that he and his entire family are life-long Republicans but want a change. He told me he was sick of "Washington" and didn't like Hillary and would be "voting for your man".

The next household had an equally long driveway, but a little more yard furniture. The owner another older man told me he was a Republican and wouldn't be voting for any of the [insert expletive here] this year. I marked my tally sheet - one supporter, and one nonsupporter.

As the evening wore on I wondered what led these two Republican men to such different conclusions. One seemed to see hope for a change while the other seemed totally hostile to both parties. Since Indiana has an open primary, both of these households have the opportunity to vote, and we'll see what effect they have.

Today (Saturday) is a really big day for door-knocking. We have local volunteers coming out of the woodwork. I'll report back later today or tomorrow a.m. if I get too busy.

Jason Berry
Obama '08

Camp Clinton: Tom Smith

So, my latest stint as a Clinton campaign volunteer started with an interesting cab ride in DC as my taxi driver talked almost nonstop about Barack Obama. I had not told him that I was headed to Indianapolis or why and I had no revealing buttons to show my support for Hillary Clinton. "He has no experience," the driver, who immigrated to the U.S. from East Africa, said. "He is just like Fenty - no understanding of the problems we have - and look how bad Fenty is doing. Obama scares me very much." (Note: the cabbie said he was waiting until the last possible moment to install a meter in his cab.)

It seemed like a good start on the campaign trail. Then, I arrived in Indianapolis and again, sought out the wisdom of a local taxi driver. "Hillary is going to win," he said. "I see it all around me, but it will be very close." In his view, the key to the election was former President Bill Clinton - that the former president is widely admired in the area and that he has been everywhere in the state. My cab driver says this will produce a victory for Hillary on Tuesday.

When I get to the hotel, I can't even check in before I get my assignments for the day: canvassing and a John Mellencamp fundraiser and rally later this evening. The hotel is full of Clinton supporters from all over the country - some of whom I have met before on the campaign trail in Texas and in Pennsylvania.

But, a quick bit of canvassing in neighborhoods around the city suggests a high rate of people who are undecided. Many of these folks were planning to vote for Obama but have changed their minds because of the Reverend Wright controversy. Today, the voters questioned Obama's judgment and trustworthiness. Voters seem to be saying - at least for today - that they admire the fighter and the resilience of Hillary Clinton and are inclined - albeit somewhat surprisingly to them - to cast their vote for her on Tuesday.

Tom Smith

By Marcia Davis  |  May 3, 2008; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  2008 Presidential Race
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Convention Center Head Resigns
Next: Church and State: Whither the Black Minister?

Comments

I'm an old (72) honky. My father was a UCC minister for 55 years, and I've attended UCC churches since childhood. I've also supported Barack Obama ever since he came on the political scene, as a breath of fresh air and a voice of reason. I still do. Rev. Wright is saying to the world "I made Barack Obama, and I can break him."

Wright was recruited to speak at the Press Club by a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton, Ms. Barbara Reynolds. That says it all.

When is the national UCC going to reject foaming-at-the-mouth nonsense like the U.S. Government inventing the AIDS virus? Wright has done much good in his long career, but his kamikaze attack on Obama now threatens to undo all of it. I call upon Rev. Wright to retire to his new million-dollar home, and SHUT UP.

Posted by: oldhonky | May 3, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Alright Jason Berry!! You're doing a GREAT job!! I admire your passion, enthusiasm, and will power for our candidate. Obama would NOT be in the position he is currently in without members like you (among others) on the team, and without such vast support from a significant portion of others as well. You all get the nod!! '08

Now, I look forward to seeing an excited Clinton campaigner as well. I am interested.

Posted by: Obama2008 | May 3, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Obama is not ready for the Repuglican attack machine. Beside, have you noticed he looks like J Fred Muggs? HRC will be ready to hit the ground running on Day One. You Go Girl.

Posted by: Geraldine | May 3, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Obama team is not successful in Indiana because he is not prepared to be president yet. He needs to become more aware of the realities of political affairs on a grand scale. He keeps talking about changing Washington, while failing to recognize that the Constitution was drafted to pit competing interests against each other! After a couple hundred years of operations in this mode, our government has fixed habits. Obama's ascension to power in DC will not result in change there, just as Jimmie Carter's quixotic efforts to change the system did not work for him. To make the system generate policies needed for improving our lot, we need a fighter like Hillary who will deal with reality.

Posted by: bjbprice | May 3, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@ Geraldine: After what the Clinton mud campaign has thrown at Obama, all of which he survived, even gaining additional delegates, he is now ready for the Republicans. Clinton has scraped the bottom of the dirt barrel, so he is now thoroughly vetted.
Hillary, on the other hand, still has tons of mud in her barrel for the Republicans to rake, which Obama avoided to do because he has got class, and does not have to do that.

Posted by: Bodo | May 3, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

If you see Obama in Indiana, ask him about the following comments in his books:

From Dreams of My Father: 'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

From Dreams of My Father: ; 'It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa, that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, Dubois and Mandela.'

From Audacity of Hope: 'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'

Posted by: AsperGirl | May 3, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Obama! Obama! Obama! He has what it takes. He is not anything like the Swift Boat machine and thank God. His patient and civil manner is quite commendable and a welcome relief to the slash and burn politics in Washington. The Constitution lays out the qualitications for President. If there were a written or performance test, the current President would have failed. However Barack is a quick study. Barack is a credit to the institutions from which he graduated. President Bush is no credit to his alma maters.
By the way, Bush II was in the White House for 8 years and you worry about Barack's qualifications. Give me a break!

Posted by: Earl C., Virginia Beach | May 3, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Go, Perry! Many people appreciate your work. Give yourself a big pat on the back at the end of the day.

Posted by: NDGirl | May 3, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

The Obama cult followers cheers even when he release gas.

Posted by: Mia | May 3, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Blood on Obama's hands -- Death in Obama's Slums

Before you send any more of your, or your parent's, hard earned money to Barry Obama --

Please Watch this report on Obama, Obama's slums, Rezko, and $100M of wasted taxpayer money, from Channel 5, NBC news, Chicago's most respected TV news program.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Obama has energised the electorate. Without him, it would be a dull campaign. He has brought in new voters in droves from all sectors of the US. He has built grassroots organisations in every state, which the Democratic Party has not had before. His campaign involves and reaches people that none of the other candidates have or can.

In addition, he is managing a very positive campaign. Clinton is consistently demeaning, belittling, snide, distorting and even lying. Her campaign is built upon appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Hillary supported NAFTA, the war in Iraq, and now she wants to cut gas tax for a few months even after economist say it won't help most Americans.

"Expert Support For Gas Tax Holiday Appears Nonexistent"

Hillary might talk a good game but she makes the wrong decisions....I want a really, really smart person in the White House......so Obama is who I support. I hope Obama wins in Indy and in NC, then we can put this mess to rest and get on with what matters like the war in Iraq and our energy problems.....also I like Obama's deportment...and I think that it is important for bringing people together....which is what America needs right now....

My hopes and dreams of a united country are with Barack Obama.

Posted by: ApostasyUSA | May 3, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all your efforts out there, Jason. Keep up the good work. We'll get this country back on track yet.

There's as lot of people who deeply care about our country who are appreciate it.

Posted by: GoHuskies08 | May 3, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"He was introduced by Amtrak machinist Mike Fischer, whose house Obama and wife Michelle visited this week for lunch. While there, they discussed kitchen-table concerns. Fischer said he made up his mind about Obama that day, calling the couple "regular people" who grew up dealing with the same kind of circumstances as he and the audience.

"This guy is not a typical politician who will tell you anything to get your votes; Barack is the real deal," Fischer said. "Here's what I want to say about Barack Obama: he listens; he understands; he is sincere and he has a good sense of humor."

The senator closed his speech by invoking another politician, who gained fame in his youth, to whom he has been compared, Robert Kennedy. Kennedy said 40 years ago in his Indiana campaign and Obama repeated, "Income and education and homes do not make a nation. Nor do land and borders. Shared ideals and principles, joined purposes and hopes -- these make a nation. And that is our great task."

Posted by: Obama2008 | May 3, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Todays Kentucky Derby a harbinger of hte democratic race. Big Brown (Obama) won going away and the only filly in the race Eight Bells (Clinton) came in second and then broke both ankles and had to be put down. Maybe all us democrats should put Hillary out of her misery now!

Go Obama Go

Posted by: Susan Douglas | May 3, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Associated Press

"Hillary Clinton said on Thursday night that members of Congress should tell the American people where they stand on a plan she backs to suspend the gas tax for three months. Are they with us or against us? she said.
But that bit of bombast may backfire. On Friday, one of Sen. Clintons top backers, Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank, called the gas-tax holiday a bad idea.
I think it would be counterproductive, Frank said in an interview to air today on Bloomberg Television. I dont think it would be a significant savings for the individual. It would be more of a cost.
Add Frank to the growing list of pols who have rejected the idea, including Clinton supporter and Washington Sen. Patty Murray. Others include House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, New York Gov. David Paterson and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who was particularly blunt on Thursday.
It's about the dumbest thing I've heard in an awful long time, from an economic point of view," Bloomberg, who hasnt endorsed a candidate, told reporters. We're trying to discourage people from driving and we're trying to end our energy dependence...and we're trying to have more money to build infrastructure...."

So much for experience. Its not just Obama's delegates. This is why we need to hear about real issues. Otherwise, ask Rev. Wright what he thinks about the gas tax idea.

Debate on ...gas tax.
Obama ahead.
Clinton
McCain
Bush
The Decider is thinking about it.
(Sorry couldn't help myself.)

Rev. Wright
so far (0)

By the way, does anyone know how many would be loss jobs if we went with the holiday gas tax idea?

Posted by: Experience vs Common Sense | May 3, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I am confident in the wisdom of the Hoosiers on Tuesday. I believe Indiana will give Hillary a win and I believe North Carolina will shock many people.
The roosters are coming home to roost finally.

Posted by: YES SHE WILL | May 3, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

DISPATCHES FROM THE GROUND WAR ...

THE HUFFINGTON POST IS REPORTING ...

National Environmental Group Endorses Barack Obama for President

Friends of the Earth Action cites senator's stand for real energy solutions instead of sham Clinton-McCain 'gas tax holiday' as key reason for endorsement

WASHINGTON, D.C.--Friends of the Earth Action, a national environmental group based in Washington, D.C., announced today that it is endorsing Senator Barack Obama to be the nation's next president.

"We endorse Senator Obama because we believe he is the best candidate for the environment," said Friends of the Earth Action President Brent Blackwelder. "The 'gas tax holiday' debate is a defining moment in the presidential race. The two other candidates responded with sham solutions that won't ease pain at the pump, but Senator Obama refused to play that typical Washington game. Instead, Obama called for real solutions that would make transportation more affordable and curb global warming. He showed the courage and candor we expect from a president."

Experts agree that gas prices are likely to decline only slightly under a Clinton-McCain "gas tax holiday"--if they decline at all. Instead of signing onto this gimmick, Obama has called for long-term solutions that would limit oil consumption by requiring cars to be more fuel efficient and expanding transportation options including passenger rail.

Blackwelder cited Obama's strong pro-environment record, his policy proposals, the profile he has given global warming in his campaign, and the broad mandate he is building for change as other reasons for the endorsement. Obama earned a 96 percent rating from the League of Conservation Voters during his first two years in the Senate. Blackwelder said Friends of the Earth Action plans to inform its more than 100,000 activists in the U.S. about its support for Obama and to campaign for him in remaining primaries.

Friends of the Earth Action previously endorsed John Edwards in the Democratic primary process and engaged in early state independent expenditures on his behalf. ...

Posted by: martin edwin andersen | May 3, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

DISPATCHES FROM THE GROUND WAR ...

TOM HANKS LENDS BARACK OBAMA A HELPING HAND ...

Time Magazine's Mark Halperin reported late Saturday that Hollywood superstar Tom Hanks is endorsing Barack Obama for President:

Actor/activist who had given money to both the Illinois Senator and Clinton posts compelling video on his MySpace page explaining his choice.

Posted by: MARTIN EDWIN ANDERSEN | May 4, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Where is Wright? Conspicuous because of his absence, it seems. Told to disappear by the DNC and Obama until the nomination is his. Whereupon, then he will resurface, and Obama will be roundly trounced by McCain.

Posted by: LonghornMama | May 4, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey Aspergirl, thank you for quoting from Barrack's book. In your effort to pit back against white, your misunderstanding betrays you. All but the most uneducated and shallow understand what he was saying in those passages: that he is truly different than other politicians, that he is honest enough to admit his angst, to accurately describe what it is like to grow up multi-racial in this country and also how anti-Obama elements are grasping at straws.

Posted by: Geoff Lane | May 4, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Jason Berry!!!! I was watching Lou Dobbs today. One of his guest said he thought Hillary's lies about the Bosnia sniper fire was far worse than the Rev Wright issue. Dobbs was horrified; he could not imagine anything worse.

The guest said, Hillary's lies were blatant and they came out of "her" mouth.

It never ceases to amaze me that people turn their heads at the long history of unethical conduct of Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Posted by: Sheri | May 4, 2008 1:06 AM | Report abuse

MY FELLOW "BITTER", STUPID, WORKING CLASS PEOPLE :-)

If you think like Barack Obama, that WORKING CLASS PEOPLE are just a bunch of "BITTER"!, STUPID, PEASANTS, Cash COWS!, and CANNON FODDER. :-(

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think Barack Obama with little or no experience would be better than Hillary Clinton with 35 years experience.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can fix an economy on the verge of collapse better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) led the greatest economic expansion, and prosperity in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience fighting for universal health care can get it for you better than Hillary Clinton. Who anticipated this current health care crisis back in 1993, and fought a pitched battle against overwhelming odds to get universal health care for all the American people.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can manage, and get us out of two wars better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) went to war only when he was convinced that he absolutely had to. Then completed the mission in record time against a nuclear power. AND DID NOT LOSE THE LIFE OF A SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER. NOT ONE!

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience saving the environment is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) left office with the greatest amount of environmental cleanup, and protections in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with little or no education experience is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) made higher education affordable for every American. And created higher job demand and starting salary's than they had ever been before or since.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience will be better than Hillary Clinton who spent 8 years at the right hand of President Bill Clinton. Who is already on record as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that you can change the way Washington works with pretty speeches from Obama, rather than with the experience, and political expertise of two master politicians ON YOUR SIDE like Hillary and Bill Clinton..

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think all those Republicans voting for Obama in the Democratic primaries, and caucuses are doing so because they think he is a stronger Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton. :-)

Best regards

jacksmith... Working Class :-)

p.s. You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you don't know that the huge amounts of money funding the Obama campaign to try and defeat Hillary Clinton is coming in from the insurance, and medical industry, that has been ripping you off, and killing you and your children. And denying you, and your loved ones the life saving medical care you needed. All just so they can make more huge immoral profits for them-selves off of your suffering...

You see, back in 1993 Hillary Clinton had the audacity, and nerve to try and get quality, affordable universal health care for everyone to prevent the suffering and needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of you each year. :-)

Approx. 100,000 of you die each year from medical accidents from a rush to profit by the insurance, and medical industry. Another 120,000 of you die each year from treatable illness that people in other developed countries don't die from. And I could go on, and on...

OBAMA AIDE: "WORKING-CLASS VOTERS NOT KEY FOR DEMOCRATS" :o

DEBATE! DEBATE!! DEBATE!!!...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

DEBATE! DEBATE!! DEBATE!!!

It's time for everyone to face the truth. Barack Obama has no real chance of winning the national election in November at this time. His crushing defeat in Pennsylvania makes that fact crystal clear. His best, and only real chance of winning in November is on a ticket with Hillary Clinton as her VP.

Hillary Clinton seemed almost somber at her Pennsylvania victory speech. As if part of her was hoping Obama could have proved he had some chance of winning against the republican attack machine, and their unlimited money, and resources.

But it is absolutely essential that the democrats take back the Whitehouse in November. America, and the American people are in a very desperate condition now. And the whole World has been doing all that they can to help keep us propped up.

Hillary Clinton say's that the heat, and decisions in the Whitehouse are much tougher than the ones on the campaign trail. But I think Mr. Obama faces a test of whether he has what it takes to be a commander and chief by facing the difficult facts, and the truth before him. And by doing what is best for the American people by dropping out of the race, and offering his whole hearted assistance to Hillary Clinton to help her take back the Whitehouse for the American people, and the World.

Mr. Obama is a great speaker. And I am confident he can explain to the American people the need, and wisdom of such a personal sacrifice for them. It should be clear to everyone by now that Hillary Clinton is fighting her heart out for the American people. She has known for a long time that Mr. Obama can not win this November. You have to remember that the Clinton's have won the Whitehouse twice before. They know what it takes.

If Mr. Obama fails his test of commander and chief we can only hope that Hillary Clinton can continue her heroic fight for the American people. And that she prevails. She will need all the continual support and help we can give her. She may fight like a superhuman. But she is only human.

Sen. Hillary Clinton: "You know, more people have now voted for me than have voted for my opponent. In fact, I now have more votes than anybody has ever had in a primary contest for a nomination. And it's also clear that we've got nine more important contests to go."

Sincerely

Jacksmith... Working Class :-)

Posted by: jacksmith | May 4, 2008 3:28 AM | Report abuse

I like Obama, and I will like him more after he gets some more experience. In this election I will vote for Hillary because I believe she is tough, seasoned, and politically savvy. I feel safer voting for her.

Posted by: thecandypoem | May 4, 2008 4:20 AM | Report abuse

The conspiracy theory that is being exchanged at work places and so on about Wright doing that stupid job for the Clinton is getting some credibility.

A lot of people are saying that the whole event just doesn't add up and makes sense only if you realize that the Clintons must be behind it.

We don't know what he was given or promised and am sure that the Clinton loving media will not do much to unearth this. But people are not that stupid. We can read between lines that the media puts out for the benefit of the simple folks.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 4:31 AM | Report abuse

Hey! Has anybody got any updates on 'Paul v Clinton'? Why is the media so silent about this by the way? Can we even imagine that they would be this complicit and silent had this been a civil case with Obama as the named defendant? NO WAY!

Posted by: thisworld | May 4, 2008 4:35 AM | Report abuse

thecandypoem up there wrote - I feel safe voting for her(Hillary).

Why? Because you are a republican wanting to see McCain elected as President?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 4:37 AM | Report abuse

There are only two types of bloggers who advocate Clinton nomination.

1/ Republicans who want to see McCain winning in November

2/ Racists who simply cannot face the truth of our changed world.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 4:38 AM | Report abuse

You're my hero Jason! Obama has world respect and will make America proud.

Posted by: Lola | May 4, 2008 5:37 AM | Report abuse

GUAM 50/50 split!
Senator Hillary Clinton ties Obama in Guam! Pundits like CNN & MSNBC got it wrong again predicting Obama would win by double digits. Each candidate got 50% of the votes! More than half the voters will not vote for obama! 56% who heard speech less likely to vote for Obama, his unfavorable rating among registered voters up 37 percent!! Clinton leads McCain 48 to 41 percent among all registered voters, while Obama and McCain are tied. National lead dropped 10pts now tied with Senator Clinton and he is now losing in IN too. Once 25 pts ahead in NC now just 5pts- They are not going to give this Presidency to Obama because hes black and if we don't blacks will stay home, so what? American is ready to elect a black man not this black man who recently revealed a major character flaw and again calls into question his judgment and truthfulness of the candidate whose entire appeal has been based on character or his lack there of and not solutions. If Clinton is not on the ballot Working White Middle class will stay home and Obama cannot win on just black votes. David Axelrod said Obama doesn't need white middle class voters. Axelrod said, "The white working class has gone to the Republican nominee for many elections, going back even to the Clinton years. This is not new Democratic candidates don't need to rely solely on those votes."
DEMOCRATS WANT OBAMA OUT NOW!

Obama's Chickens Come Home to Roost too little, too late. The Wright controversy had revealed a major character flaw and calls into question his judgment once again and truthfulness of the candidate whose entire appeal has been based on character. Wright is like an uncle you love and respect As imperfect as he may be, he has been family to me for so many years, I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community" "I can no more disown him [Jeremiah Wright] than I can disown my white grandmother." a woman who once confessed her fear of black men after a black man had tried to shake her down for money. She gave him some, but he kept demanding more. "If the bus hadn't come, I think he might have hit me over the head," Obama says she told him. Rev Wright was right! Obama speech is ONLY for political purposes after the severe drop in polls!

Obama is now declaring himself shocked and disappointed at Wright's unrepentantly racist and anti-American views? Obamas obviously support his feelings of anti-America and white hatred that the church endorses to stay for 20 years and raise young daughters in that atmosphere Obama can no longer plausibly claim innocence in this matter, because he is the one who has encouraged Wright by trying to excuse and explain his views. All of this is why it is no use for Obama to backpedal from his association with Reverend Wright, or to denounce him now, six weeks too late. It was Obama who sought to provide the Reverend Wright with immunity from criticism--and he can't complain when the reverend tries to take full advantage of that immunity. This is the final collapse of the noble promise of the Obama campaign. The man who had once put himself forward as the candidate who would transcend racial politics once and for all has ended up legitimizing a Christian equivalent of Louis Farrakhan--and injecting him into the American political debate. http://www.dontvoteobama.net

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

DEMOCRATS WANT OBAMA OUT NOW!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

"Obama does not take lobbyist or PAC (Political Action Committee) funds. Ninety percent of his funds come from ordinary individual Americans like myself. He has raised more funds than anyone. Clinton takes both lobbyist and PAC funds."

Here is an absolutely extraordinary example of Obama politics at work. Ask them. Yes, 90 percent of the donations may come from regular voters but the BULK of the money comes from the fat cats, or the other 10%. This has been brilliant spinning on their part and even the idiot media has fallen for it but when you ask and dig deeper this is the way it is.

Make no mistake...Obama is PART of the system and he will start singing the system's tune as soon as he gets into Washington, if he gets into Washington that it.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The democrats create a mess by allowing Obama an unknown and very arrogant person be a nominee. His continuous comments about not wearing the American Pin, refuses to pledge the flag, small town americans being useless, his wife loss of patriotism and their inability to understand middle class americans. Obama will hand the 2008 election to McCain for when middle class americans look at the candidates Clinton is the best to represent and fight for what we need. Obama is clueless, has no experience an it shows in his speeches and how he has voted in the Senate. The gas tax break was ok for Obama when he was a state legislature but not good enough for all americans at a federal level. This man is a joke and all he does is support Resko, Wright, Oprah,etc.. people who are corrupt and wealthy. If Obama is the democrat nominee as a democrat I will vote for McCain

Posted by: junebug9257 | May 4, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Let's all vote for the slogan.
As an early supporter of Obama I found out that words don't mean much to him.
His few votes in the senate are way off base. His support for Bushes NCLB is nuts and undercuts public school teachers.
Some politicians need to lose to get better and he's one of them.

Posted by: hhkeller | May 4, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Jason for your hard work, you and all those hundreds of volunteers are making history. Great Job!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Wright and his anti-American rants are almost the least of Obama's worries if what the guy that Fox news interviewed Friday night is saying is true. Apparently, Obama's connections with the radical terrorist Bill Ayers and his wife go much deeper then the Obama campaign would like us to believe. Obama's wife Michelle apparently worked with Ayers wife and fellow Weather Underground devotee. Also, Obama himself worked on another board with several of Ayers' family members. And let's not forget that Obama started his political career in the living room of Bill and his wife. This is the guy that Obama's been quoted as saying "I barely know the guy." All righty then...

Watch the interview here then you decide if this matters or not. In my opinion this matters a lot because it's a continuing clear pattern of Obama's total lack of judgment and downright befuddling acceptance of the radical anti-American ways of these various people he's chosen to surround himself with over the past 20 years. What exactly do YOU believe about America Senator Obama????

Part two is particularly telling.

Posted by: PA Said No Obama | May 4, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

To the nameless one who wrote "There are only two types of bloggers who advocate Clinton nomination."

How strange you haven't noticed women bloggers who want the first woman president. Or are you so misogynist that women don't count in your boys club?

The worst thing about Obama is his supporters -- they're so often young, ignorant bullies.

Posted by: Lucille | May 4, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

283 Delegates 2025 and Victory

GO OBAMA

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

DISPATCHES FROM THE GROUND WAR ...

BEN SMITH OF POLITICO.COM REPORTING ...

Charlotte Observer backs Obama

North Carolina's biggest paper backs Obama for his potential to restore decency to politics, and for a list of reasons it doesn't like Hillary:

[W]e're troubled by, to cite a few examples, these aspects of her presidential campaign:

• Many of her supporters seem intent on depicting Sen. Obama as the Jesse Jackson of 2008, a leader who appeals to an ethnic minority but not to the broader electorate needed to win.

• She sometimes exaggerates her influence and experiences, as when she claimed she "helped to bring peace to Northern Ireland" and said she ducked under sniper fire in Bosnia.

• Florida and Michigan were stripped of national convention delegates after breaking party rules by scheduling their primaries too early. The candidates didn't campaign in them. Yet after Sen. Clinton did well in those states, she pushed to change the rules and count the votes. That's a cynical, self-serving effort to corrupt the selection process.

• Her tendency to tell voters what they want to hear is disturbing. Her proposal to suspend the federal tax on gasoline this summer is campaign gimmickry, not leadership. Her assertion that she was a critic of NAFTA from the beginning is simply unbelievable. The record shows she was an ardent advocate of the trade deal.

Posted by: Joseph | May 4, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Any truth to the rumor that George Stefanopoulus is leaving his post at This Week to campaign full-time for HRC? I hear that his temporary replacement will be either Terry McAuliffe or Howard Wolfson.

He did so well hosting the Clinton infomercial yesterday that they are contemplating putting him on the payroll.

Posted by: steve boyington | May 5, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

It is not just Democrats who think that Hillary is running a Republican campaign in the Democratic primary. Now even the Republicans are saying it.

Rick Lowry, writing for the National Review:

"Hillary has shown a Nixonian resilience and she's morphing into Scoop Jackson. She's entering the culture war as a general.....She's become the Lieberman of the Democratic party."

Noemie Emery, writing in Weekly Standard:

"She's running a right-wing campaign. She's running the classic Republican race against her opponent, running on toughness and use-of-force issues, the campaign that the elder George Bush ran against Michael Dukakis, that the younger George Bush waged in 2000 and then again against John Kerry, and that Ronald Reagan--'The Bear in the Forest'--ran against Jimmy Carter and Walter F. Mondale. And she's doing it with much the same symbols. ...she is becoming a social conservative, a feminist form of George Bush."

Posted by: anthony | May 5, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

From today's Fact Checker:
____________________________

Obama's explanation for his final break with Jeremiah Wright is unconvincing.

On "Meet the Press" on Sunday, Obama said that the pastor not only amplified his previous remarks, "but he added to them." But Wright was already on record with his claims on AIDS and other matters by the time he made his Philadelphia speech on March 18.

OBAMA TELLS SO MANY LIES HE BEGINS TO BELIEVE THEM.................but we Americans DO NOT buy Obama's lies.

Posted by: Sean McM | May 5, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Aspergirl go lay down please. I just asked.

Posted by: Dawn | May 5, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I have voted for both Obama (2004) and Clinton (2008.) I believe that, at this time, Obama is not ready to be President on many levels, and do not share the rabid hatred of Clinton that has been apparently modeled after the Republican attack machine from the Bill Clinton administration. Because of the latter, which has taken advantage of the gross gender discrimination and other biases of MSNBC and other national media, I now have a sour taste in my mouth for Obama. There is a huge discrepancy between his grandiose promises and his actual behavior. The Illinois National Organization for Women refused to endorse Obama in 2004 even though he was running against a male Republican because they had detailed knowledge of Obama's voting record on women's reproductive rights legislation, and said that, unlike what his website claims, those "present" votes were not, in fact, all part of a strategy in agreement with Planned Parenthood (I did not know this when I cast my 2004 vote.) Clinton is an imperfect centrist, I believe she will get much liberal legislation through by compromise, and it's a shame that so many Dems. who ran and failed to win the presidency appear to be royally pissed at the prospect that a woman might be able to do what they could not. Obama clearly said that he did not know how he would have voted on the Iraq war resolution had he been in the Senate, and Clinton voted with the majority of the Senate dems. on that, some of whom now support Obama, so this is an overrated distinction between them. Because of the gross difference between Obama's statements of offering a "new type of politics", and his lack of support for liberal legislation that benefits women, I'm not sure how he would perform as president, despite his rhetoric. As IL Now said, when he should have been there for us, he chose political cover, instead.

Posted by: IL Dem. | May 6, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse