Lawyer Seales Named Interim Transportation Director

Frank Seales Jr., general counsel for the D.C. Department of Transportation, was named today as interim director of that agency to replace Emeka Moneme, who is leaving for Metro. Seales has worked there since 2001, after serving as chief counsel for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, according to a release from Mayor Adrian M. Fenty's office.

Seales also served from 1989 to 1998 as the chief and senior assistant attorney general for antitrust and consumer litigation in the Virginia attorney general's office, the release said.

"I am grateful for Director Moneme's service and leadership at the District Department of Transportation and I look forward to continuing to work with him to improve transportation in the District of Columbia in his new position," Fenty, who was on vacation, said in a statement. "Frank Seales has been an integral part of the DDOT team and I have full confidence that he will continue to lead the agency in an excellent direction."

By David A Nakamura  |  July 23, 2008; 2:13 PM ET
Categories:  David Nakamura , transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Transportation Director Departs for Metro
Next: Pendleton, Brown Withdraw Challenge To Pannell

Comments

What has Emeka Moneme really done at D.DOT worth bragging about? Nothing, so why would METRO want him on their staff?

Posted by: Jonathan R. Rees | July 23, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

So please tell me Seals is simply a stop gap until they can bring someone in who has the expertise on the policy and planning side to see the connection between livable cities and transportation management.

Don't appoint an old school engineer like Kathleen Penney.

Posted by: Luke | July 23, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

What kind of a two-bit hack is so desperate to see his own name in print that he includes his full name--including middle initial--in a blog post?

Posted by: IHeartDC | July 23, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I apologize to all the two-bit hacks who may be reading this blog. I was wrong to compare you to the likes of Jonathan Rees. Please accept my heartfelt apology.

Posted by: IHeartDC | July 23, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I would call Kathleen Penney and "old school" engineer. First, she is not old enough to be old school and second she is bright, energetic and has a lot of forward thinking ideas. I do think that it is fortunate for D. that she prefers to remain an engineer that a paper pusher. There are some major construction projects, such as the S. Capitol Street Bridge, that she is needed to follow through on and see to completion.

Posted by: former D. | July 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

They should appoint Penney because she's hot. And she's definitely not old school. You can't be old school if you're female and young and ride your bike to work everyday.

Posted by: TAL | August 1, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse