Roundtable on Guns at Council Today
District Council member Phil Mendelson (D-At Large) is holding a roundtable at noon today to discuss last week's Supreme Court ruling that struck down the city's strict handgun ban. Yesterday Mendelson introduced a bill that would overturn the ban and give those who say their weapons are for "immediate self defense," the right to keep them in their home or place of business without trigger locks and other restrictions.
Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier is among those on the draft of the day's witness list, which includes representatives on both sides of the gun issue. Acting Attorney Peter J. Nickles has pushed the idea that the city could comply with the court and still offer tough regulations such as trigger locks.
Mendelson has said that he will depend partly on today's testimony to decide whether emergency legislation is required before the council recesses on July 15. Otherwise, the council will vote on the legislation in the fall.
D.C. Wire will be on hand, so watch this space. Keep reading for the witness list.
The Witness List:
1. James Kadison Public Witness
2. Reginald H. Booker Public Witness
3. Daniel Wolkoff Public Witness
4. Bruce Haupt Public Witness
5. Ricardo Royal Public Witness
6. Robert Vinson Brannum Chairman, 5 th District Citizens' Advisory Council
7. Josh Horwitz Coalition to Stop Gun Violence
8. Jim Kessler V.P. for Policy, Third Way
9. Mike Stollenwerk Co-founder, Opencarry.org
10. Walter Smith Executive Director, D.C. Appleseed Center
11. Karen Rose D.C. for Democracy
12. Lawrence Parker President, Empowertech Construction
13. Kristen Rand Violence Policy Center
14. Daniel Webster Co-Director, Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Police and Research
15. Cathy Lanier Chief of Police, Metropolitan Police Department
Posted by: outsider looking in | July 2, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: DCGuy | July 2, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.