Fenty, Rhee Roadshow Goes to Denver

With the world's eyes (and media spotlight) soon to transition from Beijing to Denver for the Democratic National Convention (Aug. 25-28), it only makes sense that the District's media-conscious mayor will be making a beeline for the mile-high city. Mayor Fenty and Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee are set to appear at an education symposium Aug. 24, the day before the convention officially kicks off. They'll be appearing as part of the effort by New York City Schools Chancellor Joel I. Klein and the Rev. Al Sharpton to gain commitments from the presidential candidates to do more to close the achievement gap among black and Hispanic students.

Fenty and Rhee already appeared with Klein and Sharpton in Memphis in April, as D.C. Wire told you. Klein is something of a mentor to Rhee, who worked closely with him during her time at the New Teacher Project, and it was partly on his recommendation that Fenty offered her the schools job last year. By appearing with Klein, Fenty and Rhee position themselves as part of a group of reform-minded, mold-breakers and can reap some national shine, even if the D.C. takeover is still very much a work in progress.

After the Denver appearance, Fenty and Rhee will hustle back on a red eye to make it home for the opening day of D.C. public schools on Aug. 25. Fenty is planning to tour a handful of schools that received renovations and repairs. The mayor will then return to Denver on Aug. 26 to head up the D.C. Delegation to the convention.

That's a lot of frequent flier miles for a mayor who has been out of town a lot more this year than last; along with the Beijing and Memphis trips, Fenty went to a half dozen states to campaign for Barack Obama and has been to New York a couple times for work and vacation. Former Mayor Anthony Williams might be looking on proudly.

By David A Nakamura  |  August 13, 2008; 5:28 PM ET
Categories:  Mayor Fenty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Teachers to March on Union Offices
Next: Small Group of Teachers Protest at Union

Comments

What does Sharpton have to offer?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

DC MAYOR LIES TO VOTERS ABOUT GOING TO BEIJING

I have to call Mayor Fenty to the mat on the worse lie he has told to date. I am speaking of his phony claim of having gone to Beijing for the Olympics.

The fact is, Mayor Adrian Fenty was seen on the streets of DC one day before the start of the Olympics, the day the Olympics started and two days later.

Possibly Mayor Fenty while driving through Chinatown DC thought he was in Beijing.

I challenge Mayor Fenty to produces his passport, airline ticket stub and etcetera and if he can, I will offer to do 200 hours of service at his favorite non profit charity!

Publisher
The Corrupt Ones Blog

Posted by: Jonathan R. Rees | August 14, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Son, I really love that you've decided to stay close to me and live in my basement for the past 30 years. But, don't you think it's about time you started paying some rent? I mean, my electric and Internet bills are huge because all you do all day is post things online. Maybe if you went out a little more, you would have a real job, a family and wouldn't still be living in my basement?

Posted by: Mrs. Rees | August 14, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Dad has a job and posts from it.

Posted by: Jonathan R. Rees, Jr. | August 14, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I for one do not care for Rees and his silly antics, but on this issue of whether or not Mayor Fenty went to China, I think Rees might be on the money.

Also I find a bit fishy that Mayor Fenty said that he broke a bone on the top of his foot but his cast was gone two weeks later although in most cases, the cast would stay on for to 4-6 weeks.

Posted by: Walter Jones | August 14, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you guys are really getting into some significant stuff here.
If all of it was true, or all of it was false, what effing difference would any of it make?
Do either of your brain cells know how to tell the difference between what matters and what doesn't?
Why not go order some more pizza delivery or Chinese take out then pick up the remote for your TV so you get some exercise.

Posted by: Post Watcher | August 17, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse